New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

essphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

Thanks for your help in advance. My problem is that I have this shot taken in a chapel (terrible lighting, especially with this wall of sequins) and the middle area is completely blown out. I'm wondering what's the best way to fix this in PS. Clone? Levels? I'm not sure, but everything I've played around with hasn't been so great.

Jan 17, 2012 at 07:02 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

Nice job Peter.
Scott

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:50 AM
essphoto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

Thanks Peter for your help.

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

sbeme wrote:
Nice job Peter.
Scott

+1

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

I was just showing that this was a very possible fix and only spent about ten minutes on it. If it were a job for me, I'd probably refine it some more now that I see it again, but at least it's in the ballpark. And if you're working on the high res file, it can take longer as well. The low res can mask a lot of sloppiness in retouching. Hopefully this will inspire the original poster to try his own version and maybe a better one at that.

Also, the original jpeg was posted in Adobe RGB, which might cause problems for some viewers online. Perfectly fine for the original file, but usually sRGB is better for web.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

Yes, it was understood as a "quickie" illustration, not a finished piece for the gallery ... still, nice work.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:34 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

Have you tried hilight recovery in LR4? or was it shout in jpg?

Jan 18, 2012 at 05:55 PM
essphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

It was shot RAW, but I don't use LR4 -- is it available in PS CS5?

Jan 18, 2012 at 09:44 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

There's always a chance you might be able to pull something out of a raw file, but maybe not. The raw processor in CS5 is the same as LR3. You can download the beta or LR4 and see if it's any better. Can't hurt to try. My guess is that you're still going to have to perform some surgery after anyway.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM
duronboy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

Using recovery is a good idea, it is in Adobe Camera Raw(the window that pops up with your pic with adjustments before Photoshot CS5 takes it). Make sure you edit stuff like this in Adobe Camera Raw, you have a lot more margin for errors like this when you're editing them in RAW. recovery may not take you all the way there, you may need to use a combo of recovery and Peter Figen's method. One thing about recovery is it affects highlights on people's face, as well. what I sually do in a situation like this is open up the file like this, then leave it open, and open up another one with recovery. I'll copy the non-highlight-recovered image onto the recovered image, then use the eraser to erase the recovered image from the faces or where I really want highlights.

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

"I'll copy the non-highlight-recovered image onto the recovered image, then use the eraser to erase the recovered image from the faces or where I really want highlights."

While that method will work, it's really much more efficient, effective and reversible to use Layer Masks to accomplish the same thing. While technically it usually doesn't make any difference which layer is on top, as a practical matter, it's often easier to put the darker layer on top, add a layer mask filled with black and then brush it in where needed, in lower opacity increments to build up your detail slowly.

For anyone in L.A., you can see what I'm talking about if you happen to see the Metro/Cirque ads on the sides of Metro busses running in town now.

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:39 AM
morganb4
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How to remedy blown out area of shot in PS

Can I have a try with the RAW?

Jan 19, 2012 at 04:56 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.