Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Speedring change on Alienbees light modifier Help needed.

karlpetersson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Speedring change on Alienbees light modifier Help needed.

I have been trying to search this all over the place but so far not come up with a clear answer.
According to PaulCBuff/Alien-bees you can not change their light modifiers i.e. softboxes, PLM and not the normal reflectors but modifiers that require a speedring.
I wanted to use the plm and the collapsible softboxes/octaboxes on profoto but I am getting the feeling that the system has changed and that the conversions that I have find on strobist are no longer viable, I can only judge from small web images where the speedrings are looking different from the products today on sale from Paul C Buff.
Could anyone spread some light (pun intended) on this for me regarding the softboxes and also what is the correct way of using the plm on for example the profoto head.
I am afraid I am drowning in the information on the plm and what version should be used where and could someone tell me what is the best solution on how to modify it for using on a profoto head and what version and speedring shaft size combo I need to be able to use it a non Paul C Buff head.
Very grateful for any help or pointer you can give me.
Karl

Jan 17, 2012 at 06:35 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Speedring change on Alienbees light modifier Help needed.

I'm no expert on this but I use a PLM on profoto with the elinchrom mount, I had the profoto/eli adapter because I use eli rotalux softboxes. You can use PLMs with the shaft and it will fit anything with an umbrella mount, paul buff made a big song and dance about the central fitting and then in the PLM update said it didn't matter very much.

As for softboxes, I know Joey L uses them with profoto but that was some time ago.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.