Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc sp...

hondageek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

I need to boost my processing speed but don't want to go through a mobo/proc upgrade right now. I have a Q9550 with a DX38BT that I gave a mild tweak to already to bump it up to 3.2 MHz. I know it can go waaaay faster but have posting issues when I go higher. Do I need to adjust RAM settings?

-Matt

Jan 17, 2012 at 03:03 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

Bump up the front side bus to 400Mhz and you should see 3.4Ghz. You will need to adjust the multiplier for the memory timings to suit your RAM though.

To push past the 400Mhz FSB you will probably need a good overclocking motherboard and you might need to up the voltage to the CPU, which leads to a lot more power being used and a lot more heat to dissipate. You will need a good PSU and possibly a new heatsink assembly. You'll have to work hard to get above about 3.8Ghz - these don't have the overhead of the Sandy Bridge chips.

Jan 17, 2012 at 06:20 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

15Bit,

That's where I get lost. I don't understand how mods to the FSB affect RAM. I went to 376 MHz and it wouldn't post. My current RAM timings are 9-9-9-27. FSB/DRAM 5:8, DRAM Freq: 585.4. My RAM is DDR3 1333 if that matters.

3.4 or a bit higher would be great.

Matt

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

I'm not familiar with Intel motherboards (have always used Gigabyte or Asus), nor am I familiar with the X38 chipset. However, with many chipsets, there is a memory multiplier that determines what the memory speed will be, where MemSpeed = FSB x MemMult. As you raise your FSB (Front Side Bus), you raise your memory speed as well, unless you change the Memory Multiplier to a lower value. Intel motherboards, while being very good, stable boards, aren't known for their overclocking features (they're not enthusiast boards).

As 15Bit stated, the new Sandybridge CPU's are very overclockable. I'm running my i5-2500K (3.3GHz stock) at 4.9GHz on a Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 motherboard. Needless to say, the computer is very fast.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

Ok Bob, thanks. But is there a formula to tell me what to change my MemSpeed to? When I built this machine a few years ago, I built it for stability. Now, as it ages, I need to push the speed to keep up with Lr and large CR2 files.

An upgrade is in the plan for the near future...

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:19 PM
BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

As I mentioned before, I'm not familiar with the X38 chipset, particularly as used on your Intel motherboard. I'm guessing that you can't just specify your memory speed, that it will go in discrete increments based on the memory multiplier (if that's the technique it uses). You mentioned that you have DDR3 1333 memory. While the RAM may work at a higher speed, it is certified to run at 1333 MHz. If you run it any faster than that, things get iffy. I would set your memory speed to the highest value that stays under 1333 MHz.

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

You need to find a section in the BIOS which deals with the memory speeds. It might be called "performance" or similar. Then you need to set the FSB/DRAM variable to something which reduces the speed your memory is running at. Not knowing your BIOS i don't know how the multipliers work (they are different for every manufacturer), or if they can be changed.

If you google for "dx38bt overclocking" you will get some relevant hits.

Jan 17, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

I thought that on Intel Motherboards they did not want users to overclock. Not sure there is the ability to do this in the BIOS.

Jan 17, 2012 at 08:35 PM
mfletch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

Actually Intel now produces some MB's with good overclocking capabilities. They even have some "enthusiast" CPUs with unlocked multipliers that would have been unheard of for them a few years ago. I'm still running a Q6600 (stock 2.4ghz) at 3.2ghz for just over 4 years now for those who don't thing overclocking and longevity go together.

To the OP. Like Bob, I'm not familiar with your MB/chipset/ram, but 585.4 x 3 is gonna be way over your RAM's rated speed. Yes it may do much faster than that. But if your not POSTing at current settings, you don't really know if it's the CPU, RAM or what that's tripping you up. Cut the RAM's multiplier back to stay below the rated speed of 1333 while your testing the headroom of the CPU. Once you know what the CPU will do, you can push the mem.

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:05 AM
dan727
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

Make sure after any changes in settings you do a thorough stress test.

If your Q9550 is maxed out, but you think it could go higher, you may want to increase voltage (depending on motherboard). Keep in mind... more voltage=more heat.

You can also do a little research on the stepping of your CPU. Different steppings (manufacturers revisions to the chip) result in the same chips having different overclocking abilities.... ahh the good old days of getting a 300mhz Celeron and overclocking to 450mhz.

Jan 18, 2012 at 03:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

hondageek
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

I think I'm going to leave it alone for now. I'm at 3.2 MHz right now and it's stable after a run through Prime95. I don't understand how to optimize the RAM speeds with the board's BIOS options.

I'm probably going to do a full overhaul of my machine and go with an i5-2500 and a non-Intel board that supports OC a bit more easily and can use waaaay more RAM.

Overall, this system has been rock-solid. Not a single hiccup since I built it a few years ago. It's starting to take a beating from Lr when I do a large export.

Jan 18, 2012 at 04:08 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

Brit-007 wrote:
I thought that on Intel Motherboards they did not want users to overclock. Not sure there is the ability to do this in the BIOS.

They've been producing some ok overclocking boards for a while now. I have an XBX-2 which happily clocks my Q6600 to well over 3Ghz. Most Intel boards are not for overclocking though - they tend to focus on stability.

For the OP - you could try buying higher rated memory - DDR3-1600. This would give you a little more headroom for pushing up the clock speed some more. Also, you could use it in your new i5 rig when you buy it.

Jan 18, 2012 at 06:03 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

15bit, Ok maybe I'll try a bit more. Can you explain how cpu clock speed is related to memory speed? I've read a hundred articles about OC'ing this setup but there is a gap in the info that doesn't explain how to determine the mem speed settings.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

hondageek wrote:
It's starting to take a beating from Lr when I do a large export.

The trick is to break your export into thirds. Lightroom will run three exports simultaneously, allowing you to take advantage of the multi-processing capability of your Q9550.

See the Performance tips (Export) section here; it applies equally to Windows computers: http://macperformanceguide.com/Optimizing-Lightroom.html

BTW, I have a Q9550 running at 3.8Ghz but this is with a Gigabyte UD3P EP45 motherboard.

Jan 18, 2012 at 02:43 PM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

The frequency your Q9550 runs at is a product of two parameters, the Multiplier, and the Bus Speed. The 9550 has a locked multiplier and can only be increased up to a maximum value (9 or so, I'm too lazy to look it up). But if you have a good motherboard this is not a problem, since the bus speed can be increased to overclock your processor beyond stock speeds. The bus speed for the Socket 775 processors defaults to 333 MHz, but a good board can run at 500 MHz or higher. Check out the screenshot below for my E8400 (two core sibling of the Q9550) running on a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (the best 775 motherboard for overclocking ever made).

[/URL]

When you bump up the bus speed, the Dram frequency also goes up, so you will have to adjust the ram frequency (lower the ratio) to make the system stable. I am running DDR2-1066 ram in my system. With a bus speed of 500, I set my ram to run at 1000 MHz (or a ratio of 1:1 or 1x500x2 MHz because the ram is accessed twice during each clock cycle). My E8400 runs at a stock multiplier of 9, but as you can see from the screenshot, I reduced it to 8 for daily use since you gain more performance overclocking the bus speed, and because my motherboard offers me so much headroom in this area.

To overclock your processor you may also need to increase the Core Voltage. For example, my E8400 runs at 3.2 GHz stock with about 1.2 volts, and will run 4.0 stable at just under 1.3V and 4.4 GHz stable at about 1.35V.

Play around with your bios settings, the bus speed (sometimes called the front side bus or FSB), the multiplier, the ram speed (often expressed as a ratio), and the core voltage to find the optimal settings.

Jan 18, 2012 at 07:17 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

As of yesterday I was still happy with the computer's performance, but all this overclocking talk has me checking Newegg for prices. Thanks guys I deliberately avoid the anandtech forums because of this.

Jan 18, 2012 at 11:07 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

Thanks aubscx! Now we're getting somewhere! CPU-Z shows my DRAM freq as 585.5 and my FSBRAM as 5:8. So if I'm running my Q9550 at 366MHz with an 8.5 mulitplier, I get a 3.11 MHz. I have DDR3 1333 RAM so my ram is running at 585.5 x 3? In BIOS is says it's set to run at 1024 or something like that. I don't see an option to change the ratio or to unlink the RAM from the FSB freq.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

If you can't change the ratio between the FSB and memory clock then your options are limited i'm afraid.

hondageek wrote:
Thanks aubscx! Now we're getting somewhere! CPU-Z shows my DRAM freq as 585.5 and my FSBRAM as 5:8. So if I'm running my Q9550 at 366MHz with an 8.5 mulitplier, I get a 3.11 MHz. I have DDR3 1333 RAM so my ram is running at 585.5 x 3? In BIOS is says it's set to run at 1024 or something like that. I don't see an option to change the ratio or to unlink the RAM from the FSB freq.

Jan 19, 2012 at 05:57 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

Update:

I've got it running at 3.4 right now, up from 2.83 and so far so good.

I slowed down the memory to get to a 5:6 FSBRAM ratio
I upped the FSB to 400 MHz and gave the core voltage a bump from 1.25 to 1.2875

My core temps jumped a bit. Actually, quite a bit. No Prime95 until I can cool it down.

Jan 20, 2012 at 06:19 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Do you have overclocking experience? I need more proc speed...

I wouldn't be so quick to up the voltages - it generates a lot more heat and it sounds like your system is not up to the task of dissipating that.

hondageek wrote:
Update:

I've got it running at 3.4 right now, up from 2.83 and so far so good.

I slowed down the memory to get to a 5:6 FSBRAM ratio
I upped the FSB to 400 MHz and gave the core voltage a bump from 1.25 to 1.2875

My core temps jumped a bit. Actually, quite a bit. No Prime95 until I can cool it down.

Jan 20, 2012 at 06:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password