Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

gspiridakis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Hello everyone,
i am looking for a pair of gloves to wear in low temperatures, to keep my hands warm and capable of using my camera and binoculars the same time. I already have 2 pairs, but no one is waterproof and i still feel the cold when temperature is near zero, or when wind blows frozen air..The one pair is also too thick..
Photographers who photograph in really cold conditions, and others who may know, what kind of gloves do they use?? I would like to combine it with waterproof ability...
Thank you in advance,
George

Jan 16, 2012 at 09:21 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Glommitts. Not sure of the spelling. Try outdoor shops. Mine work well, even at zero C. However, zero F is a lot tougher to do.

Good luck with the waterproof part.

Jan 16, 2012 at 09:58 PM
kmorgans

p.1 #3 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

http://www.naturescapes.net/store/aquatech-sensory-gloves.html

Check these out. They work really well for me.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Just remembered these. Not waterproof, but water repellant. Thin enough to use a camera. I've been using them as a work glove daily because the coating is super grippy.
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/omni-gloves.html

Jan 16, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #5 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I have spent quite a lot time shooting outside in temps 0 F to -35 F. I have not found yet, in 40+ years, a single pair of gloves that work well for me. There were some mitts I found a few years ago from Russia that really worked well. I bought them from a flee market in the middle of summer one year, two sets, should've bought ten, can't find them anywhere now.

So I make mine as follows, I use a silk liner that goes on first. You almost cannot tell you have gloves on. These are getting harder to find as well so if you see-em, buy em. I then put on a fairly tight fitting neoprene glove, they can be found everywhere, ice fishing supplies stores, diving outlets, etc. I cut the tips on the index finger and the thumb of the right hand side. Lastly I place a wool pair of mitts that have designed open & close w/velcro for either fingers, (index and thumb).

I have used the above combination for several years now, last year I was outside for about 6 hrs straight in temps in the minus 30 F range. I would keep my hands in my pockets any chance I got, but when the targets appeared after a couple hrs my two fingers were numb from cold. Hand warmers also help, the chemical type, I use them only when temps get past -25F. Anyway you look at it it is a challenge for your fingers. The group with me could make it a couple of hours and they had to go in for heat.

I found a company that makes excellent cold weather foot wear. I wore a pair of Camucks from a company out of Ely,MN @ http://www.mukluks.com/ These are some great boots, I've had mine two years and they are the best I've owned. They remain soft and pliable in -35 F, and warm. Some of the people with me had reputable expensive sorrels
and they would get very hard after a few hours and their feet would get cold. They make a mitt but it would need to be modified to work for photographers.

My experience says if you are standing/sitting still for several hrs in temps below -20F you are going to get cold. Need to protect head, fingers and toes, first. Head is easy while the other two are tough, other than to move, and sometimes that cannot be done. You are looking for 0 F. Find an ice fishing retailer, if you can, neoprene & wool mitts modified like I do should easily work for you.

I see you are in Greece, probably not much ice fishing but there must be many diving retailers. I know a lot of people who use diving gloves for ice fishing, where they deal with ice cold water.
Naturescapes as stated is a good resource.

Hope some of this steers you in the correct direction.

Gerard

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:29 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #6 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I use a pair of Pearl Izumi bicycling gloves. They fit snugly and their tapered finger design enables me to easily operate all of the controls on my 7D, even the small top buttons. However, I've only used them in temperatures down to around 40F (perhaps mid 30 temps with windchill factored in). I don't know how well they will work in colder conditions.

I don't think they are waterproof...

John

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:54 AM
barryjphoto

p.1 #7 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I also use cycling gloves. They are sold in varying thicknesses and fabrics. It is easy to find a pair for a temperature range and google if it is snug or loose. A good manufacturer will supply glove sizing charts for hand sizes. I like Castelli and wear a pair of Super Nano and if not those than some italian leather driving/scooter gloves. Lately it's been around 20 F and they have been perfect.

Jan 17, 2012 at 01:23 AM
gspiridakis

p.1 #8 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Thanks for your help everyone.
'kmorgans', do you know to what temperatures can be used?? They look quite good, and they are expensive, so i hope they'll be tough also..
Gerard, special thanks for your detailed own experience. You covered many of my questions about photographers who stay for hours in really low temperatures in a hide. I am sure i can find neophrene and wool mitts here in Greece.. And for the site with these special and expensive shoes!
George

Jan 18, 2012 at 07:43 AM
mike hogle

p.1 #9 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Outdoor Research glove liners work for me in temps down to the mid 20'sF. They are not waterproof or windproof, but they seem to insulate well, and keep my fingers warm enough to keep working. They are a snug, latex glove like fit with gripping material on the finger tips. I can work any control on my camera, tie knots, etc. I wear a heavier glove over them, take the "big gloves" off to manipulate & shoot..

Jan 18, 2012 at 01:56 PM
ShaunK

p.1 #10 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I bought a pair of snug-fitting FLEX GRIP #135 BOXER gloves from Home Depot a few years back and think I paid about $14 Canadian. They are designed for use in warehouses & parcel delivery, having nice grippy palm & fingertips, but thin enough to work the controls on all my Canons (including shutter & AF ON buttons). They are okay for cooler temps by themselves, but when the temperatures drops below zero, they are thin enough to fit inside some mitts or other gloves, then remove outer gloves when shooting.

Jan 19, 2012 at 01:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mp356
• • • •
p.1 #11 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I have a pair of Freehands. The thumb and first finger tips fold back. Lined with thinsulate and windblock. Have worked very well to date.

Jan 19, 2012 at 03:09 AM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #12 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I have a few sets of these runner gloves that you can get at Target by Champion. They have a warm coating inside that keeps my hands toasty, are very second-skin like (I have a phobia of bulky gloves, I need something thin that feels like I'm not wearing anything) and have a webbing on the bottom for gripping.

I keep a set in each coat I have so I never forget them. I find buying a slightly smaller size works best as they will stretch to your hand.

Cheers,
Sid

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
jestork

p.1 #13 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I use sailing gloves made by Gill that are reasonably thin, and open on the tips of the thumb and first finger. These wouldn't work in the extreme temps you are talking about, but I really miss the feel of the shutter button and thumbwheel with any gloves on, no matter how thin. The sailing gloves are great for late fall football, early spring lacrosse when it's too cold for bare hands. They allow good control of the camera; having the tip of the thumb bare is particularly nice since I generally use the AF-ON button to control focus, rather than the half press of the shutter. Helly-Hanson makes similar gloves.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM
SmileBIG

p.1 #14 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I use leather gloves, if you oil them well they will be wind and waterproof.
You can probably find leather gloves with different kind of insulation and pick what suits you.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #15 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Up to -10 degree Celsius I don`t use gloves.
Yesterday it was -24 with wind chill and I managed to shoot for about 10 minutes without gloves.

Jan 20, 2012 at 01:19 PM
lowbone
• • •
p.1 #16 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Glomits with a light glove underneath work pretty well. Some of them have pockets in the palm for a chemical heat pack. In very cold weather I wear heavy mittens with a remote release inside one of them. Works pretty well if you are not going to make allot of camera adjustments. If you have the luxury of being in one place and using a tripod you can get a muff at outdoor stores. Keep chemical heat packs in the muff. Wear light gloves and when you are not shooting keep your hands in the muff. I have used this in temps as low as minus twenty F and my hands never got cold.

Jan 20, 2012 at 02:41 PM
Worldchaos81

p.1 #17 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I have a set of Spyder gloves that work really well, tight fit with grips on them. Have kept my hands warm in 10 degree weather.

They are pretty well water repellant and wind proof.

Jan 20, 2012 at 02:55 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

no multi fingered glove will provide the required warmth for extended outdoor activity that has low exertion. this of course depends on what is considered "low" temp and wind and humidity (environment). the amount of surface area in a glove makes it a real nice heatsink. working with mitten shells or oversized insulated mittens that allow for lighter gloves (liners) to fit inside is the best option. thus you can pull your hand out and use for minimal times (environment dependent). there are externally heated gloves out there both chemical based and electrical that will work to a degree but efficient they're not. again your environment will make or break how long they are useful. another extremely important factor is your core temp or body warmth. if your core is kept properly warm for your environment your body is less likely to try to "sacrifice" your limbs to maintain core temp. what you eat and drink and your physical condition controls your internal internal furnaces efficiency.
ice climbers and such can get away with gloves for a longer time due to the fact that these gloves are warmer but have less dexterity but enough to do the task at hand. the biggest factor here though is exertion, conditioning and proper clothing for the current environment they're in.

an example of good design for more challenging conditions:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/handwear/ascent/mt-baker-modular-mitts.html

you need to take a holistic approach to staying warm.

first rule of extended COLD weather outdoor activity: cotton kills. long underwear made fom cotton absorbs perspiration and then causes evaporative heat loss and keeps you wet. your core has to work harder to keep it warmer. synthetic based or wool underwear appropriate for where you are doing your thing from Patagonia, EMS, REI, UnderArmour, Wickers and others. there are different weights. but they all as a fabric are substantially less absorbent and move moisture to the outer layers faster feeping you more comfortable and warmer.

Edited on Jan 21, 2012 at 04:33 PM · View previous versions

Jan 21, 2012 at 02:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

Worldchaos81 wrote:
I have a set of Spyder gloves that work really well, tight fit with grips on them. Have kept my hands warm in 10 degree weather.

They are pretty well water repellant and wind proof.

you wouldn't want to try in a New England 10 deg. its a little different.

you really don't want tight fit. it can constrict

Jan 21, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Steezus
• • •
p.1 #20 · gloves for photography in low temperatures

I'm with Tao guy. For photography, no glove fits all is exactly the case. If it is not snowing out, I generally get along with wool gloves with flip open fingers, perfect for adjusting the camera real quick before covering them up. Mine are like this, but I found a thicker pair somewhere, just don't remember where.

For super cold weather, I have 3-ply, leather wrapped, GoreTex gloves made by Marmot like this that are more dexterous than a mit, but warm enough for pretty much anything you'll find in the lower 48. Still can't adjust camera controls with them on though.

Jan 21, 2012 at 07:20 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password