New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hackintosh Question....

anthonygh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hackintosh Question....

Anyone here have any experience of converting a PC to run Mac programes?

I am in a position to buy a decent PC laptop but not what I would really like...a Mac version. I have a 27" iMac and loads of softwear etc....and have been using Macs for years and don't want the hassle of learning a different operating system.

Jan 15, 2012 at 08:54 AM
Mike Malat

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hackintosh Question....

I've been running a Hack w/o any issues for the past year. Very pleased with the results. I used tonymac as a reference and followed their recommendations and had a machine built and running within a few hours. Laptops are a bit more of a challenge as it's harder to find a laptop with all of the supported components.

Jan 15, 2012 at 09:06 AM
umihoshijima
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hackintosh Question....

If you can afford the premium, running windows on a mac is significantly easier, and actually supported by Apple.

Jan 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hackintosh Question....

I am looking to buy a cheapish Windows laptop and run my Mac softwear on it....ideally!!

Jan 15, 2012 at 01:47 PM
SaberOne

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hackintosh Question....

Been using Macs since the very beginning in 1984 (yes, i'm now old) and I would strongly recommend that you pass on your next lens-lust and just buy a basic MacBook-13. It will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD313LL/A?select=select&product=MD313LL%2FA

Jan 15, 2012 at 03:58 PM
farski
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hackintosh Question....

I've built several hackintoshes, one of which has been my primary photo workstation (and general computer) for years. The only real headaches are related to upgrades and updates. If your computer works one day, and you don't change anything, it will work the next day. One of the boxes I built (the latest one) was pretty vanilla hardware, as far as hackintoshes go; gigabit mb, i7, gpu that has native OS X support, legit Airport on a PCI adapter, etc. It pretty much "just worked", and upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7 was painless. My own box (q6600, older 8800gt) is still on 106.8 probably wouldn't upgrade very well, and I haven't had a chance to put Lion on it. Point releases on the OS are rarely a problem, except for some audio or networking issues that are easy to resolve. So if you're looking for a laptop, look around of tonymac, insanelymac, etc, and find one that people have had good luck with. If you can find something that fits your needs, you should be fine until 10.8. That being said, Apple and PC laptops are relatively comparable in price these days; not a lot of "apple tax" any more. So while the things you cheaper laptop offer will probably "just work", it may simply be missing some things (FW800, multitouch track pad, etc).

Jan 15, 2012 at 08:28 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hackintosh Question....

anthonygh wrote:
I am looking to buy a cheapish Windows laptop and run my Mac softwear on it....ideally!!

2nd hand mbp and a trip to owc?

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.