New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Circular Reasoning

sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Circular Reasoning

a book page from the Savannah composition workshop
Thoughts about layout? Background was required to be black. Choice of images, layout was up to the photographer. Images had to be taken on the workshop.
Other thoughts?
Some loss of sharpness with this second downsizing. Original is sharp throughout.

Backstory: Two of the images come from an assignment. We had to produce 5 images with a roll of duct tape in the image.

Thanks.
Scott

Jan 14, 2012 at 05:28 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Circular Reasoning

Not sure I understand
How to frame that image or do a page only showing that image?

Jan 14, 2012 at 06:50 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Circular Reasoning

Of the three images I think the image of the camera photographing itself, by itself, conveys the "circular reasoning" message the best.

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:59 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Circular Reasoning

Chuck,
I agree.
Karen, I like the matting/edge effects you have chosen. I didnt even consider that.
The layout was chosen to keep the eye moving around the page, working the diagonal relationship between the elements and using the "wheel" atop the pipes to point to the two other images.
I like the rework on the "self portrait" and the change in font and its curvature make good sense to me as well.
Thanks for the illustrated suggestions.
Scott

Jan 19, 2012 at 08:15 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Circular Reasoning

BTW, my reasoning for the borders was to make a fence for each image that had image black meeting the BG black keep the eye from bleeding away into the BG in unpredictable ways. I gave the self-portrait round framing like the original Kodak to add a bit of novelty that echos the theme.

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:55 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Circular Reasoning

Karen, good point at bg bleed.

Any chance you could put "photo corners" on the tree/duct tape instead of the same style border that is around the valve. I think it's tonal values would tolerate an inferred border for bg bleed, and the lines of the photo corners might complement the lines of the tree. Then you'd have all three with different bordering, one circular, one rectangular, one triangular, as well as one full, one singular, one multiple.

Having two of the three with rectangular borders (albeit different color), is messing with my sense of asymmetry vs. unity a bit by weighting those two vs. the circular one. Changing the weighting of 2:1 to 1:1:1 might minimize that aspect, given the purpose is to unify the three images. Of course, doing all three in the same rectanular border is an option, but that kills your circular one (which imo is a keeper) and doing all three in the round doesn't seem like much of an option either.

Jan 20, 2012 at 08:34 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Circular Reasoning

While I like the different framing effects, I think it starts to lose a sense of coherence and moves further to the presentation of three less related images.
Scott

Jan 20, 2012 at 01:39 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Circular Reasoning

Not quite how I thought it would go, but worth a look. Sometimes you gotta see what you don't like to better appreciate what you do.

Thanks for the twist.

Jan 20, 2012 at 02:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.