Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

ndirienzo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

I'm currently on the Farallon Islands for a couple weeks doing research. The photography opportunities are amazing, to say the least. I've been pretty busy these first few days getting my project in order, but plan to have some more time here soon to dedicate to photography. Here's a smattering of photos from the past few days. I realize that they're not all the norm of what's typically posted in this forum, but I thought it was still the best place for them.

I only brought my 5Dii with 35L and 70-200 2.8 IS. I'm going to borrow one of the other researcher's 100-400 to get some shots of the sea lions, harbor seals, and elephant seals. Oh, and some birds (I figure I have to since so many birders are jealous of me being out here). I'll be making quarterly trips, so I can rent a 600 or something crazy for the next trip.

How you get on and off the island

This bull is about 12' long. It's amazing to stand 15' away from one of these things

Lots of these!

I'm here to research these camel crickets... the only truly endemic species on the island

They are not a fan of the burrowing owls

A view of the two houses that were built in the 1870's... this is where we stay. There's a lot of history on the island.

Yep, this is real. I missed the great white season, but hopefully I'll make it back for it next year

My view in the morning

View while walking over to one of my study areas. Hundreds of sea lions

An elephant seal decided to take the path that runs 5' in front of the houses in order to get to another beach

More to come!

Edited on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:23 AM
thehotel
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

WOW!!! keep them a coming.

Wacky roger

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:27 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

Interesting set. Looking forward to more.

Jan 12, 2012 at 08:52 AM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

Nice shots. Looking forward to more bird shots of the area.

George

Jan 12, 2012 at 09:20 AM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

gschrade wrote:
Nice shots. Looking forward to more bird shots of the area.

George

Yea, I'm not a big birder, but I'll try and get some.

For now, here's some of the elephant seals

Bull

Needless to say, we can get pretty close!

This isn't a rock on the roof... it's a sea lion. They're quite abundant!

I love the fog in the mornings

Jan 12, 2012 at 01:42 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

Very interesting place Nicholas with so many photo ops!
Great set and looking forward to seeing more.
Martin

Jan 12, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

What a great opportunity for you! Great to see the pictures from this place, hope you get that 100-400 and get us some birdies too!

Jo

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:04 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

amazing! wish i could get out there someday!

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

Amazing amazing! I've gone fishing off the coast of those islands before. How the heck did an Owl get all the way out there? The Bay Area sure has a lot of surprises even for this 30 year veteran! Woohoo!

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:35 PM
ndirienzo
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

Conrad Tan wrote:
Amazing amazing! I've gone fishing off the coast of those islands before. How the heck did an Owl get all the way out there? The Bay Area sure has a lot of surprises even for this 30 year veteran! Woohoo!

Yea, they're not a fan of the Burrowing Owls. There are mice on the island, which are invasive and quite abundant. The Burrowing Owls are attracted to the islands because of the mice. The problem with the owls is that they go after the Ashy Storm-Petrel chicks given their small size (most other chicks are safe because they're larger). The Ashy is one of the prized species on the island, so it's a big concern that the owls are here. They want to get rid of the mice in hopes that it causes the Burrowing Owl to leave the island, but then the next concern is what will happen to the cricket population (which is why I'm here). Yay food webs!

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
What a great opportunity for you! Great to see the pictures from this place, hope you get that 100-400 and get us some birdies too!

Jo

Haha, sometimes I think they should rename the nature and wildlife forum the bird forum

Jan 12, 2012 at 03:52 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

Interesting set and story Nick. Keep them coming ~ Ron

Jan 12, 2012 at 04:22 PM
waldr_p
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

Fascinating set. Looking forward to seeing more. Paul.

Jan 12, 2012 at 05:37 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Views from the Farallon Islands - seals, sea lions, and birds. Oh my!

great set Nicholas .. i enjoyed them all

Jan 12, 2012 at 06:49 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.