FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Advice for those with some extra cash

UsseryG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice for those with some extra cash

I know what most of you are thinking:

"What extra cash?"

I know the feeling. But I was thinking that we could post some of our own ideas or opinions on what you can do when you have some extra cash, and no idea what to do with it. I know I have made some of those "Extra monies, what to buy" threads, but I figured that maybe people could see this when they have a little extra cash, ranging from left over dough, to holy crap paycheck and all bills are covered kind of cash.

I will go first.

Surprisingly, no one has ever told me this when I was wondering what to do with extra cash, and it hit me this morning.

Go get some prints made, or order some online. Take your best pics and go get 'em printed, then frame 'em and hang 'em. Or better yet, take your all time favorite and order some large canvas prints!

Some of the fun advice others have given me,

Go on a trip.

So, care to add anything else? All tips and advice welcome. Please, PLEASE! Keep it positive and fun.

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Chumma
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice for those with some extra cash

First save for retirement. Then set up an emergency fund. If you have children, then save for their education.

checkout these websites:

www.choosetosave.org
www.feedthepig.org

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice for those with some extra cash

Chumma wrote:
First save for retirement. Then set up an emergency fund. If you have children, then save for their education.

checkout these websites:

www.choosetosave.org
www.feedthepig.org

Awesome advice on a photography forum where the subject is implied.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:30 PM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice for those with some extra cash

Chumma wrote:

checkout these websites:

www.choosetosave.org
www.feedthepig.org

[/quote
Good advice, Chumma. I am 84 years old, retired, saved for retirement, got all of my kids educated. Now, I can just enjoy taking pictures.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM
laurapalmer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice for those with some extra cash

UsseryG wrote:
So, care to add anything else? All tips and advice welcome. Please, PLEASE! Keep it positive and fun.

UsseryG wrote:
Awesome advice on a photography forum where the subject is implied.

Hmmm... positive and fun... sarcastic criticism...

By the way, my first thought was also saving it for future expenses.

Jan 13, 2012 at 04:05 PM
LDRider
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice for those with some extra cash

Chumma wrote:

checkout these websites:

www.choosetosave.org
www.feedthepig.org

Excellent advice!!!

JP

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:02 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice for those with some extra cash

Most of us have more gear than we need. Over the years I have been selling any lens I do not use for 6-9 months and am now down to a bare-bones kit (D90 + 10-24 + 16-85 + 70-300). with more money invested in tripods (x2), ballheads (x2) and filters than body and glass. I would spend any spare cash I have on workshops with photographers whose work I like. Not the super high profile names, where you get huge crowds and mostly assistants. No, there are plenty of excellent names in the second tier and some of them are a pleasure to learn from while working a location.

Jan 14, 2012 at 09:27 PM
SaberOne

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice for those with some extra cash

I agree with 'GroovyGeek' on having more than I need or will likely ever use to the fullest extent of the law. By no means do I save enough or choose wisely. I have always been a quality geek and I'll typically pay through the nose for the best when 'good enough' would do. Still, I somehow manage to live larger than some, so apparently I'm doing something right.

Jan 15, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice for those with some extra cash

Hey UsseryG great topic, too bad this thread got derailed with negative remarks and condescending comments from people who know nothing of your finances and obligations. I like your thoughts on printing. I have tens of thousands of family photos that are priceless to me but very few actual prints. I am thinking of selling my 10-22 that I rarely use but haven't really decided what to do with the money. I would love to take the family to Yellowstone for a summer vacation. We never go on family vacations and the photo opportunities would be endless. I've also been looking hard at the Gopro hd2. I ride my dirt bike a lot in the summer and haven't figured out a good way to mount my 7d to my helmet haha.

Jan 18, 2012 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.