FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Jesse1981

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Hello there.
(re post from canon gear, This area seems more fitting)

Well this is my first post and I am extremely new to photography and am looking for some advice.
I am in the process of buying a camera (canon 7D) with 430EXII speedlight.
I really want to get into macro. Its probably my main interested. However portrait and other things would be good too.

So I am looking at the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Camera Lens for about $1000
Or the Tamron 18 - 270,, PZD for about $600
My budget only allows me to get one lens for now.

I know the tamron is not a macro lens and cant do 1:1. However if there is a way I can use it for macro it would be good as it is cheaper and much more versatile.

I've heard of lens reversal and tubes etc.
Can anyone give me some advice on which way I should go and my options.

Thanks heaps.

Jesse

Jan 11, 2012 at 04:57 AM
12monkeys
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

The 100L is wonderful. I use it for macro and portraits of my son. If macro is your main interest, get a good macro lens, not something that can "get by". You don't have to get the L version if money is an issue but I've come to the conclusion that's it's cheaper in the long run just to buy the best from the outset.

Jan 11, 2012 at 06:45 AM
Bandi
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Welcome Jesse! Good to see a new face interested in macro.

This is one of those decisions that YOU need to be comfortable with, however if this will be your only lens, then the versatility offered by the Tamron may be the way to go. You could then add a set of extention tubes (kenkos are good and will set you back <$200) and still come in under the price of the 100L.

When added to the tamron, the extention tubes should be capable of giving you even more magnification than the 1x of the macro lens.

Whatever you decide, I hope the purchase goes well and make sure you come back and share some of the images here!

Anthony

Jan 11, 2012 at 07:00 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Jesse,

As you as so new to photography, I recommend that you get experience on non-macro subjects, in the first instance, rather than get too much into macro, where the problems and difficulties of photography also tend to be magnified. It would be a shame if you went in at the deep end and got discouraged when you found it was not as easy as you expected. At the very least, run the two in parallel.

Harold

Jan 11, 2012 at 08:46 AM
Jesse1981

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Advice. please help a newbie

Thanks for all the advice.
I have decided to get the canon 100mm macro lens and I will also get a second lens for every day use. Hopefully that way I can keep a balance and get my skills up a bit. Thanks for all the help

Jesse

Jan 11, 2012 at 08:25 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.