Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

OwlsEyes
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

I am not one to complain about my gear, but I am curious if this is an endemic issue w/ the 5DII or it is unique to my body.

I have owned them all... well almost (from 20D to 1DsII), and I have never experienced the problem to this degree. I have a 5DII w/ a lot of dust accumulating between the rear lcd protector screen and the lcd. It is clearly a static electricity issue and related to life in MN where it is humid in the summer and dry in the winter. I am a wildlife / nature shooter and the body has been to Africa, American Southwest, Costa Rica and my home state. Its companion is my 7D and 40D. Neither the 7D nor 40D suffer from this dilemma.

While I realize that it has no impact on the function of the body, it is quite annoying under certain lighting conditions. It also suggests poor QC and might be an indicator of problems to come w/ other seals.

So, I'm curious... how many of you 5DII users have dusty LCD?... is there a simple fix? It is likely that I will do what I have always done w/ gear related quirks... ignore the problem and keep shooting.

cheers,
bruce

Jan 07, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

I stand ready to be corrected, but I don't think Canon ever stated that the 5DII was sealed against dust, just 'resistant' to.

You can't expect a Canon that 'only cost $2500' to be well built....
what do you think it is? A D700 or something??

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:49 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #3 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

Ouch,... Biting commentary.
Then again, they managed to produce a high res full-frame camera for less than the price of a car

Jan 07, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Chris Beaumont
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

Yeah, it's a strange camera war going on, Nikon releases D700 and a mass of Canon guys (including me) go "waaaaah.....I want that" whereas a mass of Nikon shooters go "waaaah....I want a jillion megapixels" and the fall out of which is that the D800 appears to be going uber-pixel, and the rumours about the 5DIII suggest it may have LESS pixels.

It's a strange old-world, grass always greener etc etc

Jan 07, 2012 at 06:42 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

Hmmm... I use mine in outdoor environments all the time - just returned from five days bumping around various parts of Death Valley - and I've never noticed any dust behind the LCD. The LCD does get marked up by body oils and so forth, but that's about it.

I wonder if there is some particular issue with the LCD cover on your individual camera that is leading to this?

Dan

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:08 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #6 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

They can be completely replaced (The clear screen cover) for $20 by yourself if it bothers you that much.

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #7 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

Not sure how much I'm bothered by the dust... just surprised that it exists and appears to be taking on a life of its own. The dust shifts from here and there and now seems to be "reproducing."

Fortunately, it does not appear that the dust is moving to the sensor

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:27 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #8 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

To Chris...
I knew where you were coming from and didn't take the comment in the wrong way... like the rest of the Canon world of serious (pro/art) shooters... I'd like my 5D to be a D700... or a 7D w/ a 5D II sensor... but I'm not going to sell my overpriced lenses to buy even more expensive Nikkors and will likely skip the next generation 5D camera, as I have not recouped my current investment to my satisfaction yet.

Gear is great... shooting is more fun!
bruce

Edited on Jan 07, 2012 at 08:44 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:32 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

I have a 5D2, c 2008, and a 2009 7D and use both mainly outdoors. No dust problems with either one inside or outside the LCD. I'm guessing the OP may have a 5D2 with a break in the double stick tape gasket that holds the LCD cover on the body. It is easily replaced with about 30 minutes of toil and new mounting tape.

Jan 07, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

No dusty LCD here.

Jan 08, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #11 · My 5DII & Dusty LCD

No dust here either. Just have it looked at if it is bothering you, I'd say