Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

jtmiv

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

Dear Board,

This is my first post though I've been watching and trying to learn for quite a while.

I am looking for a flash that works with both a Canon 20D and 7E and I was wondering if the 540EZ is an option? I am not looking for sophisticated flash options, I'm more of a plug 'n' play guy.

If the 540EZ is not an option I would appreciate it if someone could recommend an alternative that will work for both cameras and won't cost more than $ 150.00. Used is fine and third party flashes are OK too.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:54 AM
Photon
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

The 540EZ worked with the old EOS film cameras, and relied on off-the-film metering. You'll need one of the EX series speedlights to handle the ETTL or ETTL II system. It uses a very rapid "preflash" at low power to get an exposure reading and calculate the power needed.

Many flashes (inluding the EZs) can be used in manual power modes, but it sounds as if you're looking for something that will work easily, yes?

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:59 AM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #3 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

Great old flash.

Can use it on the 20D in MANUAL only (attl and ettl are different and no old style auto mode on that flash).

A full ettl... for that price... um.. I THINK there are some newer Chinese ones that can do that.... do a search over at the strobist forum because I don't know the models.

Jan 07, 2012 at 04:59 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

You might find a used 430 EX for around $150, and if so, that would be a worthwhile investment.

Jan 07, 2012 at 05:04 AM
jtmiv

p.1 #5 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

Dear Photon,

Yes, easy would be best but I'm not adverse to doing things the old way. I can still look at the back of the flash and do the math and set the lens and stuff like that.

I haven't exactly kept up with things but I think you are telling me that TTL and TTL-II are very different and the 7E is more old than the 20D, is that a correct assumption?

I'm hoping there is a flash that will work with both cameras with minimal input and effort from me but if that is not possible I am open to suggestions for alternative flashes. I need a flash sometimes, but it's not something I need to use often in a whole lot of situations.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Jan 07, 2012 at 05:12 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

jtmiv wrote:
...I think you are telling me that TTL and TTL-II are very different and the 7E is more old than the 20D, is that a correct assumption?

ATTL (the EZ system) and ETTL (both regular and version II; the EX system) differ in when they meter the TTL-read exposure level.

EZ flashes will work on your film body in TTL or Manual modes, but will only work in Manual on the 20D. EX flashes will work in TTL mode on both, because they will revert to ATTL metering on a film body and use ETTL on a DSLR.

As far as a flash for $150 that can do automatic flash power, there aren't many choices new, but as mentioned above you may be able to find some used. Manual-only flashes can be had new at that price point; Vivitar, Yongnuo, etc., and the excellent Lumo Pro LP-160 is close to that.

http://www.amazon.com/camera-flashes-LumoPro-LP160-Manual-Flash/dp/B0050DRK4G

Also, the Vivitar 285HV is still being made, and while it lacks TTL metering it does have a built-in auto sensor as well as having a manual mode.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=vivitar+285hv&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

I use my 285HV with my 20D frequently when using multiple flash guns.

Jan 07, 2012 at 05:33 AM
jtmiv

p.1 #7 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

Dear Brian,

Thank you for the explanation of the difference.

Without assuming too much, is it safe to say that ANY Canon flash with an "EX" at the end of the number will work properly for both cameras?

If I bump my price up to $ 225.00 will any other options open up for me that will work for both cameras? New or used matter little to me for as much as I use a flash. I would like something that requires little input from me but I can and will work with something that is solidly recommended.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Jan 07, 2012 at 05:46 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

jtmiv wrote:
Dear Brian,

Thank you for the explanation of the difference.

Without assuming too much, is it safe to say that ANY Canon flash with an "EX" at the end of the number will work properly for both cameras?

If I bump my price up to $ 225.00 will any other options open up for me that will work for both cameras? New or used matter little to me for as much as I use a flash. I would like something that requires little input from me but I can and will work with something that is solidly recommended.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Yes Amy of the EX guns will work on both.

If you up the budget your probably into used 430ex territory which is a great gun to go for. You can also rob ably pick up a used 550ex

As mentioned above there are quite a few good 3rdparty heads around as well. Some from known good flash makers that have been around for years eg. Metz and sunpak shill cost a bit more (still cheaper than a genuine canon) and others from sigma and yunguno and Nissin are real bargains.

Personally I would look toward the highest spec (for your budget) from yunguno or Nissin as they have a pretty good reputation now.

Jan 07, 2012 at 08:21 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

jtmiv wrote:
...Without assuming too much, is it safe to say that ANY Canon flash with an "EX" at the end of the number will work properly for both cameras?

As Ian said, yes, any EX flash (as far as I know) will work on both of your cameras.

jtmiv wrote:
...If I bump my price up to $ 225.00 will any other options open up for me that will work for both cameras? ...I would like something that requires little input from me

Well, that $87.00 Vivitar 285HV would work on both cameras, and it's pretty simple in auto mode: you pick one of four aperture ranges (pink, blue, red, yellow) based on flash-to-subject distance and zoom setting (approximately equal to your lens focal length), and then set your camera to the matching aperture. (There's a guide dial on the side of the flash that you set your ISO on, and as you zoom the flash it will adjust itself to match, and you just look at it to see which aperture matches the color you set on the auto sensor.)

It sounds more complicated than it is. Once you've done it once or twice it's simplicity itself. Anyway, once it and the camera are set you can shoot pretty freely from a wide range of distances, and it will automatically adjust the power up and down as you and your subject move.

That said, a more modern flash can set the output based on the camera setting with no input from you at all. $225 will get you a used 550EX right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Flash-Pro1-Pro90-Cameras/dp/B00004THM7

or you can get a new Yongnuo 565EX for $160.00:

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-565EX-Speedlite-Flash-Canon/dp/B005HYMUX4

(I've never used them, so I can't recommend them, but I've heard other people say they work as expected. Same with Nissin; I've never used them, but I hear them being recommended by others.)

Lots of choices, depending on your wants and needs. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Jan 07, 2012 at 09:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jtmiv

p.1 #10 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

Dear Brian and the other respondents,

Thanks for convincing me that given my application there really isn't any great advantage in a flash newer than my 30 year old Vivitar 283, unless I spend several more $ 100.00's than I had hoped to spend.

Maybe some day I'll have both the skills and the need for something better, but until then I'm comfortable in focusing and looking at the focus scale and selecting red-orange-yellow-or purple along with the appropiate aperature and going from there.

Thank you,

Tim Murphy

Jan 07, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

jtmiv wrote:
Dear Brian and the other respondents,

Thanks for convincing me that given my application there really isn't any great advantage in a flash newer than my 30 year old Vivitar 283, unless I spend several more $ 100.00's than I had hoped to spend.

Tim Murphy

STOP STOP STOP.

You need to check before you mount a 30yr old 283 to a modern camera. Brian mention the 285 not the 283.
As fas as I can rember the 283 may have a high trigger voltage which could fry your camera .
If I'm wrong in the above then fine but I just wouldn't want you to kill your camera with an old gun

Jan 07, 2012 at 02:28 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

jtmiv wrote:
...there really isn't any great advantage in a flash newer than my 30 year old Vivitar 283

DON'T DO IT!

As Ian says, some 283s (those made prior to 1987) have a very high sync voltage, and it can damage the circuits on a DSLR. Also, there's a difference between the 285 and the 285HV: the 285HVs are (as far as I know) always safe, while the older 285 (non-HV) may not be.

If you want to keep using it you should connect it to your camera through a Wein Safe Sync.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/245292-REG/Wein_W990560_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe_to.html

Here's a list of many flash models and their sync voltages:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Jan 07, 2012 at 08:25 PM
jtmiv

p.1 #13 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

Dear Ian and Brian,

I really appreciate the caution about the 283, I'll heed your words and save it for use with my correspondingly vintage film cameras.

I do have a Sunpak 433AF that I bought for using with a Canon EOS film camera and that never gave me any problems when used on my Elan or my 7E. Is that going to be safe to use on a 20D?

The last thing I want to do is attempt to take a few pictures of a birthday party and wind up cooking my camera. If I have to get a newer flash then I will.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Jan 07, 2012 at 11:12 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

jtmiv wrote:
...I do have a Sunpak 433AF that I bought for using with a Canon EOS film camera and that never gave me any problems when used on my Elan or my 7E. Is that going to be safe to use on a 20D?

That one should be okay. It's more than 6V but less than 8V, so it's in that gray area that no one really wants to commit to saying 100% that it is safe, but it's in the same league as the Vivitar 285HV that I've used on my 20D for more than six years with no issues.

Jan 08, 2012 at 01:37 AM
jtmiv

p.1 #15 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

Dear Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I'm thinking that I should just stick to the in camera flash for a while until I can get a more modern compatible third party flash like the Vivitar DF-383. For less than $ 150.00 it makes sense to me not to risk damaging my camera.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:53 AM
ross attix

p.1 #16 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

I have a 420EX and a 550EX, and neither give accurate consistent exposures on auto settings. They are both ETTL.

The newer ETTL II equipment (flashes and cameras) is supposed to fix that I think, but I have not tried any of it so I can't say from experience. I have to go all manual to get consistent results from these two flashes.

Jan 08, 2012 at 03:03 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Canon 540EZ, what does it work with?

ross attix wrote:
I have a 420EX and a 550EX, and neither give accurate consistent exposures on auto settings. They are both ETTL.

That's prone to happen with any auto flash, because the camera can't know what color/shade the subject is. It guesses, but if it guesses wrong the exposure will be off. It's the same with flash as with auto exposure of ambient, and the solution is the same; FEC for flash and EC for ambient, or manual mode for both. Also, using Ring USM lenses helps by adding focus distance to the flash metering equation; I don't recall if that's a version II addition or if it's true with all EX flashes.

Still, for the most consistent flash exposure, manual mode and a good flash meter can't be beat.

ross attix wrote:
...The newer ETTL II equipment (flashes and cameras) is supposed to fix that I think, but I have not tried any of it so I can't say from experience. I have to go all manual to get consistent results from these two flashes.

The main difference with the version II flashes is the ability to control them from the camera menu on newer bodies. I really like that feature, especially when I'm using a Speedlite on a stand out on my long ETTL cord.

Jan 08, 2012 at 03:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password