Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

svassh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Sorry some of these guys are making light of your unfortunate situation. In all seriousness you are likely screwed but taking apart as much as you can and rinsing and bagging with rice for a week is worth a shot. Afterwards you can always send to Canon anyway.

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Peter Le
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

shoenberg3 wrote:
Now this is the kind of attitude I simply don't understand.
The man has just lost his two thousand dollar camera and possibly more including the lens. Maybe for some, this isn't a huge loss, but for most, it is a massive blow.

I doubt that he has done any harm to you in the past, so why voluntarily post such unhelpful, biting remarks when the guy is down? It boggles the mind.

If you are not able to help him in this plight, the least you can do is sympathize.

Look who it is coming from....this is his normal behavior...

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Michael Porter

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

one rule about beaches... if you are close to breaking waves, you should never, ever turn your back on the water. Alot can happen in an instant.

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:38 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

If its any consolation to the OP he's not the only one to lose kit in traumatic circumstances.

Back a few years I cheerfully slung my photo backpack onto my back, forgetting to close the main zipper! My Hasselblad Carl Zeiss 40mm Distagon flew gracefully in a perfect curve to impact on the concrete pavement. I can still remember that horrid, dull "thump" it made as it hit!

The only consolation for making such mistakes is that you learn never to make them again. Now I only use shoulder bag cases or pelicans. No photo backpack will ever cross my threshold again!

Jan 07, 2012 at 07:19 AM
Mike Ganz
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

More than likely, its toast. Notify your insurance company (hopefully for your sake the gear is insured).

Jan 07, 2012 at 08:27 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

shoenberg3 wrote:
Now this is the kind of attitude I simply don't understand.
The man has just lost his two thousand dollar camera and possibly more including the lens. Maybe for some, this isn't a huge loss, but for most, it is a massive blow.

I doubt that he has done any harm to you in the past, so why voluntarily post such unhelpful, biting remarks when the guy is down? It boggles the mind.

If you are not able to help him in this plight, the least you can do is sympathize.

Do you sympathize over every world plight? No, you don't. If you do, the stress would kill you. Implying that a 2000 dollar loss isn't huge to me is ridiculous to. You know nothing of my financial situation.

Lastly, I'm sure if you've been to this forum for more than 30 seconds, you see that I post comments with the intent of laughter. The best thing you can do in a situation like this is try to laugh...not be all "poor little me" as you want him to be.

If you honestly believe that I'm serious in telling him to smash it or hose it out, then I don't even need to dignify you with a response. What about the other guy who said use it as a table piece? Is he an asshole too?

Lighten up. Have a beer. Have a coffee, take a nap or get a binky. Whatever it takes for you to calm down and laugh a little. I'm sure that yeah, it blows that he got hosed out like that, but at the same time, it sure as hell beats a multitude of more significant problems he COULD end up with in his life. (not saying the op should get problems, just saying at the end of the day, us pitying the OP isn't going to help him).

Your best bet is to send it to Canon. There's really nothing anyone on the Canon forum is going to be able to tell you to change that, and there's nothing anyone can type to get that sand/salt out of it.

PS, don't feel bad...one of my MkIII's is in the Atlantic ocean.
Peter Le wrote:

Look who it is coming from....this is his normal behavior...

Again, comedy. Laughter will help him heal more than crying about it.
At the end of the OP's lfie, I'm sure he will face MUCH greater problems that this will pale in comparison to.

Did you offer anything to the thread or to the OP? Didn't think so.
svassh wrote:
Sorry some of these guys are making light of your unfortunate situation. In all seriousness you are likely screwed but taking apart as much as you can and rinsing and bagging with rice for a week is worth a shot. Afterwards you can always send to Canon anyway.

Look up comedy and its remedies in healing...Laughter does a lot more for you than crying.

Jan 07, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

artsupreme wrote:
B&H will give you a free one...

Only if you got video of it happening being shot by the camera itself....

Jan 07, 2012 at 11:50 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

RobertLynn wrote:
Just get out the garden hose and go to town.

shoenberg3 wrote:
Now this is the kind of attitude I simply don't understand... the least you can do is sympathize.

Actually, if there's anyone here who can sympathize with the OP it's Robert…I believe he has 1DIII tumbling about somewhere east of Atlantic City…if you come across it, be sure to give him a call.

Omar

Jan 07, 2012 at 11:58 AM
Goldenspark

p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Drowning in distilled water will only push the salt further in.

Sorry, but it's toast - probably.

You might find after drying out that it works, but it will probably develop faults later on.

Sorry for your loss!

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

I think Canon charges a flat rate to fix certain camera bodies, call them up and then ship it to them. It'll be cheaper than a new camera.

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:21 PM
telluridestock
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

I lost mine in a leaky underwater housing in Belize, Canon would not touch it but I did get $600 for it on the BS forum here on FM!

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:26 PM
ct8282
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Jeez man. I am totally gutted for you!! I am so particular about all my possessions, especially my camera gear and all of my belongings, no matter how old they are all look immaculate like new. My car is 18 months old now and still looks showroom!

When I damage or lose something it's heart breaking for me so I know how gutted you must be feeling right now.

I;m not sure how things in the US work but most of my personal possessions including my camera gear is insured under my house contents insurance. Do you have such insurances in the US. If so, perhaps its worth a call to your home/contents insurance form who may be able to advise you if your camera gear is covered. You never know and for the sake of a quick phone call its worth checking out.

Fingers crossed for you my friend. Just ignore the pillocks who find it funny to mock your situation. I find it a sad reflection on human nature! Like when someone famous dies and within minutes all those sick joke texts get around. What is wrong with people?
Maybe Karma will ensure that they have an equally unfortunate situation just around the corner.

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:41 PM
carlsbadbum
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

If my camera took a dive into the water I'd first I speak French to curse the wave, then I'll cry. Then I'll take my shirt off and dry it as best I can, next I run to the car and turn the heat on to dry it more. When I get home I call Canon Irvine and local camera shops for support. I live near the beach, it's a nightmare if this happens to me. Sorry and good luck.

Jan 07, 2012 at 12:48 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Many homeowners policies cover damage like this, even if you do not have specific camera insurance, so check right away.

Corrosion from salt is a killer.

Jan 07, 2012 at 01:32 PM
shoenberg3
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

RobertLynn wrote:
Do you sympathize over every world plight? No, you don't. If you do, the stress would kill you. Implying that a 2000 dollar loss isn't huge to me is ridiculous to. You know nothing of my financial situation.

Lastly, I'm sure if you've been to this forum for more than 30 seconds, you see that I post comments with the intent of laughter. The best thing you can do in a situation like this is try to laugh...not be all "poor little me" as you want him to be.

If you honestly believe that I'm serious in telling him to smash it
...Show more
The guy is clearly distraught with his recent loss; and clearly judging from his response, he did not take your posts positively.

Comedy does not help in this situation, largely because it is much too soon. I am sure he can have a laugh about it in a few years.

Edited on Jan 07, 2012 at 02:25 PM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2012 at 01:34 PM
sperraglia
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

I feel for you. I had a 5d2 and a 500mm take a quick dunk in salt water and they were toast. Salt water is the kiss of death. A few drinks and a little cry helped me recover and rest assured you aren't alone and there is more and better equipment in your future.

Jan 07, 2012 at 01:52 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

I know for each individual, loosing gear to circumstances like this is horrific and brutal, but if you hang around here on FM long enough, you hear a story about super expensive gear getting completely destroyed fairly frequently. The trite comments are due to the fact there's a hundred posts on here about how salt water completely eff's up a camera. So it's leave trite comments or screaming "WHY DO YOU LEAVE YOUR GEAR UNATTENDED ANYWHERE NEAR THE FRICKING OCEAN??!!

I'm seriously sorry for your loss. If posts like this have taught me anything it's not to leave gear vunerable (and to redefine what vunerable means). The second is that if something like this ever happens to me, I will not be sharing it on FM. I'll lock myself in my room and cry instead.

Jan 07, 2012 at 02:25 PM
howard
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

I had a mishap to my 5Dc like this (although less severe) once. I also committed the mortal sin of turning it on when it was wet (I cringe when I type this). And it was turned on momentarily, then went dark.

Looks like you did the reasonable damage control, however, the damage seems to be still severe.

I've heard that you can rinse the camera with acetone which will clean the moisture. However, I never tried this.

I think the interior of your camera should be OK as you also had a weather sealed lens mounted on it.

In any case your camera will need some professional cleaning.

As to my 5Dc, some time later it miraculously "cured itself". I don't know how I guess there was very little water inside, and maybe the little that got in only temporarily shorted some circuits. After it was dry it worked fine again. I used for a few more years and did not have any problem.

Jan 07, 2012 at 02:51 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

Well, this is the deal with salt water damage.

Some people send them to Canon, and Canon doesn't make ANY mention of it being salt water damaged. They repair it, and if it has any issues down the line, you can send it in as well.

Some people send it in to Canon, and Canon says, "this body is toast".

Some people send them in to Canon, and they say that they will repair it but with no warranty of any kind on it.

For what it's worth, I'm "fairly" certain you can use the Canon loyalty program on this. So say you want another 5D2 after Canon tells you that it bit the dust, you send it into the loyalty program for a discount on a refurb 5D2.

Lastly, if you have home owners insurance, I'd call them up. You'll be surprised at how many people's home owners insurance will cover them on stuff away from home (as long as it's not a business piece of equipment).

I'm currently trying the bag of rice trick. My son projectile vomitted yesterday and throughout the night. It hit my wife's iPod touch...and now it no longer functions. Not as costly as a camera, but sucks too. I think it's toast though.

Jan 07, 2012 at 05:17 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Soaked and Sanded 5D2... what to do?!?!?! (+image)

hey everyone thanks for keeping this thing alive.

while yes i am sad im not beating myself up about it. last night i went and bought 4 bags of rice, one jug of distilled water and a bottle of gin... so i had everything covered. i popped the battery in today and nada. no lights no life. the 17-40 is golden. it autofocuses and the aperture works just fine. just gotta get the grit outta the zoom ring.

and RobertLynn dont feel bad about these guys saying you are insensitive cause my post of "you have all been so supportive...." was very sarcastic because in all reality this cam is probably done done.

o and i got an image from the camera as it was dieing. check the top post

Jan 07, 2012 at 05:27 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.