Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

It looks like B&H have run out of the last lens model from the 1999 supertele vintage: 600 f/4 IS.
My guess is that Canon has not been supplying 600 f/4 IS for a while now, very much like 300 f/2.8, 400 f/2.8 and 500 f/4. B&H must have had ample stock of 600 f/4 IS, besides, the demand for that lens couldn't have been good in light of much anticipated 600 II.

Four excellent lenses discontinued, and their replacements hardly in place yet.
The 300/400 IIs are available in dribbles here and there, and nobody outside Canon knows for sure when is that already much delayed 500/600 IIs will start selling.

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:41 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

If someone is desperate for a 600 IS 'classic', they can buy mine

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:36 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

rscheffler wrote:
If someone is desperate for a 600 IS 'classic', they can buy mine

Generally speaking, I have seen lately quite a few very reasonably priced used supertelephoto lenses on B&S board. That is certainly good for the buyers. However, it looks to me that it might have not dawned on some of the sellers how significant the cost of upgrading to the MkIIs will thus become. That idea will probably hit home more vividly when a charge of $13,000+ for 600 II hits their credit cards

Jan 06, 2012 at 07:06 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

Canon has figured out that people will pay exhorbitant (yeah, I know, that's a
judgment call) amounts of money for glass, especially when it's a little bit lighter
and has a better IS system. [I am talking about superteles here; I think their 70-200 zooms
are still good value.] In return, they can add thousands of dollars to the price.

The two significant advantages Canon has had over Nikon recently recently are
a) better video performance;
b) cheaper telephoto lenses of great quality with ready availability.

I think they should be concerned that when they erase item b), they leave one
less reason to stay with Canon.

And I like Canon's system, but .......... just sayin'

Jan 06, 2012 at 07:38 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

Well, combine the price of the new super-teles with the lack of officially supported f/8 AF on the 1DX, and 11 supported f/8 AF points on the D4, including one cross sensor... the $3K premium for the new 600 II or $2K for the 500 II over the Nikon equivalent will be quite steep for some.

Jan 06, 2012 at 08:24 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

The new pro grade cameras and supertelephoto lenses are of sharply diminished affordability.

One can buy a top of the line today's camera + lens (used) for sports or wildlife photography for about $10,000.

An equivalent setup consisting of 1DX + MkII lens would set us back (with sales taxes) by about $20,000 or close to it.

Now, that sort of a $ difference makes the "old" stuff highly desireable as a preferred, if not the only, option.

Jan 06, 2012 at 12:10 PM
mptnest
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

Now, that sort of a $ difference makes the "old" stuff highly desireable as a preferred, if not the only, option.

That's exactly the reason I sought out a 500 f/4. I feel there will be many more price conscious folks like me that will drive the used super-tele's way up in demand. Just an opinion.

Al

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

Al, you seem to have done well.

Jan 06, 2012 at 09:00 PM
mptnest
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

Thanks Peter. Tomorrow is the maiden voyage. Hopefully, some critters will take favor to playing along.

On another note, I can't help letting my mind drift a bit on the new super-tele's. Weight has been a limiting issue. With the lighter mass weight, does this bring an 800 f/4 or maybe a 1000 length lens into fair market planning? After all, we're on the eve of the Olympics.

Jan 06, 2012 at 09:51 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

Let us know how you like your 500.

I doubt it very much that in the foreseeable future Canon will introduce any new supertelephoto lens.
There is 200-400L that might appear on the shelves some day. However, they have a more pressing business now with the release of all four MkII lenses which have been in the works for some time.

400 DO is the only long lens I would even hesitate to guess its future.
Canon might just let it languish for another few years and then pull the plug on it. Probably the lens still has some corporate image value as a technology showpiece although it is 10 years old. Somehow I do not see it being updated either.

Jan 06, 2012 at 10:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

I'm saving up for the 800/5.6 DO IS. MFD 6.0 m, wt 3.5 kg, L 350 mm, D 165 mm. It'll be like the 200/1.8L, but longer (and wider), and with IS.

Jan 06, 2012 at 11:04 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

jcolwell wrote:
I'm saving up for the 800/5.6 DO IS. MFD 6.0 m, wt 3.5 kg, L 350 mm, D 165 mm. It'll be like the 200/1.8L, but longer (and wider), and with IS.

Jim, I am afraid you've got some major saving to do.

BTW, how's Halifax Pub Crawls these days ?

Jan 06, 2012 at 11:12 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1999 Supertelephoto lens generation is history now

mptnest wrote:
Thanks Peter. Tomorrow is the maiden voyage. Hopefully, some critters will take favor to playing along.

On another note, I can't help letting my mind drift a bit on the new super-tele's. Weight has been a limiting issue. With the lighter mass weight, does this bring an 800 f/4 or maybe a 1000 length lens into fair market planning? After all, we're on the eve of the Olympics.

2020 Olympics?

I don't see the logic for something like that. Optical quality challenges would be greater, size and mass would be much greater, and it would be extremely expensive! The super-teles as they are now are on the comfortable side of being unwieldy and a one stop gain for such a lens really isn't cost effective compared to the gradual and steady high ISO gains that make the current super-tele lenses extremely versatile compared to only 10 years ago when we were shooting film.

Maybe in 10 years many will be shooting with m4/3 or Nikon 1 series size or smaller sensors with 300mm lenses instead?

Jan 07, 2012 at 03:37 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password