Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

nikt
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

I believe it was not Canon Australia imported.

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:07 AM
Gust
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

nikt wrote:
Will the price difference make a difference?
Absolutely not.

But I think it does.
still at this moment I know several prof's who are thinking about switching or not
this could be the last reason

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:14 AM
coranda
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

nikt wrote:
I believe it was not Canon Australia imported.

But, if that's the case, Canon Australia won't even support the standard warrenty.

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:25 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

No, not true.
"L" lenses have a worldwide warranty.

So D&D Photographics for instance, gray market importers, they don't buy through Canon Australia. The L's will have warranty in terms of it's going to get fixed if it's a warranty fault, no problem.

However, some of the benefits are lost for CPS if buying from certain places, that's all. You pay more from the local's and there's a benefit to it.

Jan 06, 2012 at 07:24 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

Gust wrote:

That might be the case, sure.
I've had this conversation with a lot of people in store though, but to me it's really not to do with the price. Might be a bit of an excuse, but not what I'd call a reason.

I've had people want to change because 3 of their friends have (and a lot of it was from Nikon to Canon by the way). Then the partner comes back from some shopping and they say, "see honey, it's also $100 cheaper" too.

As I mentioned, there's no point looking at just one cost. Especially when you're a pro and you're spending so much money.

Jan 06, 2012 at 07:33 AM
SoundHound
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

If the discussion is camera system cost consider that the 1Dx' essential low light features will barely compete with the D3s while the D4 should be about 1 1/2 stops better hi ISO than a 1Dx.

That means a Nikon F5.6 lens would have the light gathering ability of a Canon F2.8 lens! So your entire Nikon lens inventory has a 1 1/2 stop bump. You can buy much cheaper lenses and AF with that F4.0 lens with a 2x TC mounted.

Nikon has specified a huge buffer. Canon has no buffer spec and, I predict, will be scrambling to equal the D4 which means a later than March release or tiny buffer.

Jan 06, 2012 at 08:23 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

SoundHound wrote:
If the discussion is camera system cost consider that the 1Dx' essential low light features will barely compete with the D3s while the D4 should be about 1 1/2 stops better hi ISO than a 1Dx.

That means a Nikon F5.6 lens would have the light gathering ability of a Canon F2.8 lens! So your entire Nikon lens inventory has a 1 1/2 stop bump. You can buy much cheaper lenses and AF with that F4.0 lens with a 2x TC mounted.

Nikon has specified a huge buffer. Canon has no buffer spec and, I predict, will be scrambling to equal the
...Show more

What can I say. It will be a long and rough wait until we see some raw files from both cameras

Jan 06, 2012 at 08:32 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

SoundHound wrote:

That might be true when considering ISO noise and shutter speed only.
However, ISO performance of a camera has no bearing whatsoever on AF performance and subject isolation/background diffusion where faster lenses will always do better than slower ones.

An f/5.6 lens is always an f/5.6 lens, i.e., it's slow, whatever camera body you may wish to have it on.

Jan 06, 2012 at 08:33 AM
coranda
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

nikt wrote:
No, not true.
"L" lenses have a worldwide warranty.

So D&D Photographics for instance, gray market importers, they don't buy through Canon Australia. The L's will have warranty in terms of it's going to get fixed if it's a warranty fault, no problem.

However, some of the benefits are lost for CPS if buying from certain places, that's all. You pay more from the local's and there's a benefit to it.

I've just done a small amount of research on this and I'm now thinking that you're probably right. Has anyone tested it with Canon Oz?

I expect they'd resist but persistence often pays off. I've found that many companies here will deny responsibility until you make it clear that you know your legal rights. Earlier this year I had a 20 month old iMac with a hard disk problem and when I took it to the Apple store they tried to tell me I had to pay for the repair because I didn't have Apple Care. I insisted on speaking to a manager and the moment he realised that I knew that Australian law didn't let manufacturers specify the length of a warranty he caved in and agreed to repair it without charge.

Jan 06, 2012 at 08:45 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

Yeah I'm leaving canon for the f/8 thing, because canon sucks and f/8 af is a game changer, especially on a full frame camera.

Jan 06, 2012 at 09:30 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

Things like membership privelages aren't bound by the same law.

For instance, and just to use an out there example, I can't compain if I don't have Virgin GoldPass and they don't let me sit in the GoldPass waiting area.

Now, I'm not 100% sure on the in's and out's of the CPS membership in Australia, but there will be some restrictions.

Anyway, these are the informed decisions we make. Though sometimes, without enough previous homework, people might unknowingly get bitten. And this is not to pick on anyone , but it's so important to understand what you can and can't do, or can and can't get beforehand.

Me... personally.. I support those decisions. I've purchased items from the local distributor and I've also purchased items from gray market or OS while weighing up the risks.

Hmmm, what were we talking about... oh yeah. the D4.

Jan 06, 2012 at 09:38 AM
coranda
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

I've done a little extra searching and have found (unofficial) reports that say that Canon Australia, as of mid-2011, no longer supports international warranty on lenses. The terms of their warranty (on the Canon Australia web site) used to specify the international warranty but now they have changed to state that they only warranty items sourced through Canon Australia.

It would be interesting to see this tested. Clarification would be good. My initial belief that warranties were local was based on my experiences from January 2011 in Vietnam. I bought a couple of L lenses from one of the biggest Canon dealers in Hanoi. I asked if the warranty was international and I was told that it wasn't.

I might ring the state Consumer Affairs and ask them what the situation is. They are generally pretty good at telling you what your rights are.

Jan 06, 2012 at 09:44 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

RobertLynn wrote:
Yeah I'm leaving canon for the f/8 thing, because canon sucks and f/8 af is a game changer, especially on a full frame camera.

Who are you and what have you done with the real Robert Lynn??

Jan 06, 2012 at 09:58 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

Except I think he's being facetious.

Jan 06, 2012 at 10:13 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

I know

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:22 PM
PaulB
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

nikt wrote:
Except I think he's being facetious.

Is that even allowed?

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:41 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

I would never be facetious .

Jan 08, 2012 at 02:42 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

Yes, in fact the $6k price does indeed have a bearing on the 1dx price. The 1.5 stop ISO gain is nikon BS (just as the 1.5 stop gain for 1dx is canon bs) - you'll be lucky to see 2/3 stop.

No, the real reason it matters is the attrition rate that canon needs to stem. I suspect that there are quite a few canonites that were already on the fence in switching and a MORE expensive canon body is just one more knock. I work for a relatively large studio in phila area and quite a few canon shooters I know have defected to nikon. Perhaps its an anomaly or not, but there seem to be quite a few here and on the wedding forum that have done the same thing. The f/8 AF thing really drew a lot of ire from the N&W shooters, so who knows how many of them are looking more positively to nikon?

Jan 08, 2012 at 03:58 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

I doubt Canon will lower there price initially as I cannot see people switching systems because of a $800.00 difference in price. The cameras are both going to be exceptional at what they do and pretty much neck and neck in performance and IQ.

Jan 08, 2012 at 05:35 PM
Miles42
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Will the Nikon D4 have influence on the Canon X price?

If I had that kind of money either way it may be an issue for me. Not in my ball park and unless I hit the lottery or was a professional making money from this it never will be. Still searching for a reasonable way to upgrade from my 20D.

Jan 08, 2012 at 09:33 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.