Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

ESC in KC
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

Weird problem that I've never seen before. A studio session with about 35 shots, and one of the raws came out like this:

Shooting a Canon 5dMKII and using a Sandisk Extreme III 8GB CF card.

Can anyone tell me what is going on? I saw the bottom right square of a shot about 2 weeks ago do the same thing (only about 1/6 of the image) and it was the CR2 file only that time as well. Same memory card each time.

Of course it was one of the best shots of the session -- thankfully I shot Raw plus jpeg so I at least have something to work with...

Thanks

Ed

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

It's usually a bad card, . Try another card and see if it replicates.

This come up quite a bit and normally always ends up being a bad card.

The only time it happened to me the card died about a month afterwards . Camera and pc would not recognise the card as being present.

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:16 AM
Gregstx
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

I had this exact same happen on a CF card in a Sony video camera. It turned out that the card had been formatted incorrectly.

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:26 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #4 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

Thanks for the replies guys - now that I think further about it, the last several times I've uploaded from this card it seems to take a long time for computer to recognize it in my card reader. Hoping it is only the card!

Jan 05, 2012 at 12:59 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #5 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

I've experienced this as well with my Sandisk Extreme III 16 g card and my 7D. It does not happen all the time but intermittently. Do you use a card reader or download directly from your camera?
-Cam

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:25 AM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #6 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

As a side note, I've made a habit of always formatting my cards when I put them in to start shooting. I think it's a good habit to get into, but that's just me. Helps insure you don't run into the "incorrectly formatted" card issue.

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:29 AM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #7 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

onegreatcity wrote:
I've experienced this as well with my Sandisk Extreme III 16 g card and my 7D. It does not happen all the time but intermittently. Do you use a card reader or download directly from your camera?
-Cam

I use a card reader. Twice in the last few hundred shots is way too much for me. I'll format it in camera before I use it again.

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:41 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

ESC in KC wrote:
I use a card reader. Twice in the last few hundred shots is way too much for me. I'll format it in camera before I use it again.

In camera format won't do much. As far as I recall it's only a wipe of the fat table , basically a quick format . A full format on a pc would be better. but it won't cure the issue. I think it's usually a bad memory sector (or whatever cf's have)

Back when I had a 1D and messed up a 4gig card I found a utility that completely wiped a card . Sort of like a low level format.

Jan 05, 2012 at 07:01 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

ESC in KC wrote:
...I use a card reader. Twice in the last few hundred shots is way too much for me. I'll format it in camera before I use it again.

It can also be a fault in the card reader. Fouled pins, decaying wire, etc. If it happens with a different card then you'll know. Fortunately, readers are pretty cheap these days.

Jan 05, 2012 at 09:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #10 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

Ahhh... So maybe I should capture those images from camera and see if it is intact! I want that shot!

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:14 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

ESC in KC wrote:
Ahhh... So maybe I should capture those images from camera and see if it is intact! I want that shot!

worth a try.

Jan 05, 2012 at 01:36 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #12 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

You guys are the best - thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this thread. I was able to capture the RAW from the camera. I'll post the image as my mini celebration!

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:39 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

ESC in KC wrote:
You guys are the best - thanks so much for taking the time to reply to this thread. I was able to capture the RAW from the camera. I'll post the image as my mini celebration!

http://edinkc.smugmug.com/photos/i-rhbSXpC/0/L/i-rhbSXpC-L.jpg

so was it the card reader?
looks like I'll have to ammend my first statement that is the card most of the time to its the card quite often

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:43 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #14 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

Yes - I do believe it was the reader. I used the same USB cable and read it from the camera.

Jan 05, 2012 at 02:53 PM
Andy Keller
• •
p.1 #15 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

I'm no expert on electronics, but if it's the card reader, why wouldn't it do that to every shot?

I'm not saying that the card reader isn't the issue. I just want to learn.

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:22 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #16 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

I love a happy ending! Even if the mystery isn't entirely solved, good to have your keeper intact...

Jan 06, 2012 at 05:56 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · uh oh... is this my camera or my memory card???

Andy Keller wrote:
I'm no expert on electronics, but if it's the card reader, why wouldn't it do that to every shot?

It's the bane of every electronics tech's existence; the "intermittent." It makes it hard to diagnose, because it never seems to happen on the bench, only in the field.

If it's a loose or corroded pin, a slight change in angle could cause a signal strength drop; and if one bit is lost the whole sequence gets scrambled.

It's actually quite rare to have a total failure in a reader; it usually starts with one or two mysterious "weird" images, but then gets progressively worse over time.

BTW, "intermittent" was one of the first adjectives to become a noun that I experienced. Short for "intermittent problem" or "intermittent failure" it became just "an intermittent" among telephone company "equipment men," of which my father was one starting in the 1940s.

Jan 06, 2012 at 06:09 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password