Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

ChipThome
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

New Years weekend there was the annual Gun Show here and as usual, it drew a big crowd of avid gun enthusiasts. This has been going on for 15+ years that I know of, and shows no signs of decline. Then we have the annual Boat Show, the RV and Camper Show, the Home Show, the various bridal shows etc etc. These are all staples of winter life here in the Frozen Tundra. What I don't see and don't remember ever seeing were any Camera and Gear shows.

I have done a little investigating and it appears a Camera and Gear show, might be a dated idea that has run its course ?

My questions for all who wish to respond:
Do you attend a Camera and Gear show ?
Is there a Camera and Gear show near you ?
If there isn't, would you attend one if there was ?
Do, or would, you attend as a buyer or seller ?

Any other input along this topic that you feel may be helpful, would also be appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time !!!

Jan 04, 2012 at 10:33 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

Most of the large events are on the east coast. The Photo Plus Expo (link below) is every Oct./Nov. in NYC. It's represented by almost every camera/gear manufacturer and B&H and Adorama. There are demonstrations, a multitude of manufacturers, some you never heard of, and classes for pros and non-pros. In Feb. there is the WPI Expo in Vegas that also shows new camera gear - some finished product, some in the final stages. There is a list of events like this on the link.

I used to go the NY Photo Expo. Really cool if you haven't been. You can check out just about any gear that you have been reading about. It's a huge display of stuff covering an entire convention center floor. It's worth the plane fare, or drive, especially if you are a professional (btw: a write-off too).

http://www.photoplusexpo.com/

Jan 04, 2012 at 11:32 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

The local photo/gear shows have really dropped off in frequency, attendance, and quality of products & deals. Sites like the B&S Forum here on FM I think have really taken a chunk out of the shows and (like many Brick & Mortar stores) have been shriveled down to just a few. There are just too many more convenient online outlets for new/used camera equipment...unlike guns, boats, RV's, etc where you pretty much HAVE to see the items first hand and shows are still a good venue. Back in the 90's, there where photo/gear shows every two months somewhere in S. Florida...now I think there's only one a year (if it's still being held) and the last time I went a few years ago, it was disapointing.

Omar

Omar

Jan 04, 2012 at 12:25 PM
ChipThome
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

borderlight....thanks for the heads up, seeing one of those sounds like some serious fun. :-)

Omar, from what you are saying, it sounds as though these are disappearing My google search didn't turn up too much, one show in Chicago and a regular one out in the LA area, that I remember. I am sure there were a few more, but not as many as I was expecting to see.

Still would like more input from others, even if it is just an opinion.

Thanks Omar and borderlight, you input is appreciated !!!

Jan 04, 2012 at 06:58 PM
namelessone
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

I've been to the photoplus expo in NYC before and it's pretty cool. Mostly vendors on display, but you can find some great deals too. I liked the ablity to try out different lenses/bodies and some even have models ready to pose for you.

I would love to go to a smaller show with local sellers for new/used gear, but i think that is a thing of the past with the internet forums.

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:04 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

I will not go because I fear for my wallet

Jan 05, 2012 at 05:42 PM
robn70
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

The big shows are fun to attend, but unfortunately I think the smaller shows have gone away just like the computer shows from the 70's and 80's.

Jan 06, 2012 at 11:48 AM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera and Gear Shows - Go To Them ?

There is an annual used camera gear show near where I live that I have been going to for about 5 years. (PSPSC swap meet) It is mostly geared toward antique stuff, but there are always a couple tables with newer equipment. For the most part, a lot of camera equipment companies just show off at electronics shows, save PMA, and the photo marketer's convention. There used to be more shows, but as mentioned, the internet really took a toll on them. As mentioned, while there are still some bargains to be had, for the most part, you just get lucky online, as most of the sellers have compared prices to internet prices, and priced their own goods accordingly.

Jan 06, 2012 at 11:22 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.