Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Samyang 35mm, Live view/exposure issue?

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Samyang 35mm, Live view/exposure issue?

OK, this may just my not understanding the "work flow"

Just recently got a Samyang 35/1.4 and love it.
But for focusing, my 1DsMkII was a little bit of a
challenge focusing with it through the viewfinder.
I had plans on getting a 5DMkII so I had my excuse.

Hadn't used live view much before for focusing (had a 40D)
What seems to be the main issue is that in Live view,
the "focus box" is also the area that the exposure is derived from.
The trouble is, the area I want to focus on in the foreground is brighter than
much of the scene. Its sunlight on the water stuff.
So the camera dials down the exposure so I can't see to focus.

So its, get exposure, M mode, through the viewfinder,
check focus in live view and set exposure back to take pic.

Seems for near/after sunset scenes with failing light, things get off pretty quick.
An example of the difference is
30 sec s/s to check focus.
put back to 1 sec for exposure.

Am I doing this wrong, or is it just the penalty for using great alt glass?
I have considered putting a Dandelion AF confirm chip on the lens.
The hope there is that some sort of lens/communication would make the camera happy.
But then the fear is that the camera would think the lens was in AF all the time
and NOT let me use zoom in live view.

Any ideas, experiences?

Thanks
Dan

Jan 03, 2012 at 03:15 PM
bpark42
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Samyang 35mm, Live view/exposure issue?

Try turning live view exposure simulation off.

Jan 03, 2012 at 03:36 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Samyang 35mm, Live view/exposure issue?

Well assuming you got the 5D2 we're not using it in the same manor.

Love that glass too, my first observation was that I normally needed to compensate -2/3 to get an exposure to my liking. Hence I use A (or could be T) but with M you could of course check the meter.

I normally use it a close distance (max 5m or so) and have replaced the focusing screen with the EG-S. Works like a charm, I would say that it gives as much keepers as a similar (well calibrated) fast AF-lens.

Sometimes I use LV-focusing - eg when looking for infinity focus and using smaller apertures (=seldom). But I have no idea what takes 30 sec. Click the LV-button, two rapid clicks on the magnifier (+ button) gives 10x and then focus. A new click on the magnifier returns to composition mode, where e.g. the M-meter (or exposure comp) is visible.

I probably misunderstood you so forgive me if these are given facts to you

EDIT: BTW, the needed exposure compensation changes with lighting conditions. My personal theory is that this has to do with that the lens have no communication with the camera at all. There is probably some kind of curve applied to Canons evaluative metering method which depends on light, lens speed and focale. Possibly also much more detailed ones when Canon lenses are attached. With this lens (and other true alt glass :-) the camera knows just nothing on what it's looking/metering through.

Jan 03, 2012 at 04:27 PM
timballic
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Samyang 35mm, Live view/exposure issue?

bpark42 wrote:
Try turning live view exposure simulation off.

I had the same problem when using the Zeiss ZE MP100/2, (Which does have all the exif data from the chip) and found that turning Exposure Simulation ON, solved it!

Nov 17, 2012 at 06:20 AM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Samyang 35mm, Live view/exposure issue?

I use Canon Live View focusing quite a lot as over half of my lenses are MF: either Canon TSE or Zeiss ZE. Live view is a the best tool for Tilt Shift focusing as it allows one to move the focus point about the image using the joystick. One ajdusts the focus to a point near infinity and adjust the tilt angle at point in the foreground on the desired focal plane.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/smallhd/

Yes, the exposure is set by where the focusing box is left when you hit the shutter. If you exposure is too dark move the box to a darker part of the scene and if too bright, move it over (or half over) a darker portion. The exposure meter works fine with no tilt or shift, but exposure is usually off after significant tilt/shift lens movements. In that situation I often take a few shots to get the exposure right.
I always leave exposure simulation on, but I do not find that impacts the exposure of the shot, just the brightness of the display in LV.
Mike K

Nov 21, 2012 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.