New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

omarlyn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

While traveling both domestically and internationally, has anyone ever encountered any issue with camera batteries? More specifically, do you leave (the main) batteries inside the camera bodies or remove all batteries? What about AA batteries? Any issues or problems that anyone has had?

Omar

Jan 03, 2012 at 11:51 AM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

I have never had any issues with batteries, with either domestic or international travel. My batteries stay in the equipment (cameras and flashes) and back-up batteries are loose in my camera bag. All of my experience is with carry-on luggage; I don't check my equipment.

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

I made three international trips this past year, one to Israel where the security could be considered very high all the time. I always leave the camera batteries in each body, with the backups in carry on bag. I have not experienced any issues with security if that is what your concern is. I generally have two backups per body, with the chargers in my checked luggage. I leave the flash batteries in flash as well, AA's.

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:03 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

I have no issues with cameras and batteries last oversea trips. Best to leave batteries out in checked bags

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:08 PM
jackthelad

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

I have flown to Europe, also within the U.S. and on to Hawaii. I usually have two cameras and spare batteries. My wife travels with just about the same set up. We have never been asked any questions about batteries.

Jan 03, 2012 at 01:10 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

I fly 5 or 6 times a year and have batteries both in cameras (carry-on) and spares in luggage and nobody in the USA, Europe or Asia have questioned them. Officially you need to travel with the contacts covered. The only incidence I suffered was at Honolulu International Airport were my checked luggage was rifled through and a small tripod stolen. Not sure if TSA or airline employees were responsible but last summer 30 Hawaii TSA agents were fired in for theft after a sting (mostly cash from Japanese tourist carry-ons).

Jan 03, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

Lithuim types of batteries have prompted some concern about air travel with batteries in general.
The TSA have some good advice on the subject:
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/batteries.shtm

There have been a number of aircraft fires where lithium batteries have been strongly suspected of being the cause. One of the problems with Lithium types is that they can be self sustaining if they are involved in fire, a limited airflow cargo compartment, (called a Class D compartment for airline use), is not much protection if they ignite.
Airlines are increasingly making mention of them in their travel info. They should not be in checked baggage in cargo compartments but in carry on where they can be accessed in flight if problems develop.

Masking the terminals of batteries not in their intended devices is a good idea,plain tape will often be good enough.
I doubt a couple of AAs would be too serious but some laptop or add on battery packs for laptops can have a fair bit of capacity.

Jan 03, 2012 at 03:39 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

As long as the battery connections are covered up with a cap, tape or similar, you should be fine. I've had no problem flying domestic or internationally with my batteries. I always have one in the camera and the spares in their covers, in my carry on bag.

Jan 03, 2012 at 04:26 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

Recently there was a iphone4 meltdown and smoking in a aircraft. Those LI-on DSLR batteries have a lot more power capacity than a iphone battery. A laptop battery meltdown is very scary.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/iphone-on-australia-flight-overheats-emits-smoke-2011-11-29

Although the first thing you think about is shorted terminals, li-on batteries are known for shorting out internally, a hard bump can do it.

Jan 03, 2012 at 04:30 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

If you read through the links on the page linked to by Lotuselite above, you'll see that the more serious concern is non rechargeable lithium batteries. Based on the info provide there, it appears those batteries are very difficult to extinguish if they catch on fire, whereas rechargeable lithium ion are less of a problem. In any case, best to keep your batteries with you as carry-on. It would suck for your checked bag to be lost with all your spare batteries (and possibly also chargers), especially on some once-in-a-lifetime photo adventure.

I have traveled internationally with a Elinchrom Ranger Quadra kit containing four relatively large sealed lead type battery packs. Everything traveled in a Pelican as checked luggage and it was fine, and was inspected both by TSA going out and German authorities on the return leg. Those batteries though have a removable fuse, which I did remove to disconnect the external contacts from the actual cells. My impression is that the battery concern is more over high capacity lithium/lithium ion cells.

This link offers an easy to comprehend chart of what is and isn't allowed for carry-on and checked baggage: http://safetravel.dot.gov/quick_chart.html

Jan 03, 2012 at 05:25 PM
arthurb
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

In the old days of film I had a Minolta 35mm compact that I bought to fill the gap whilst my insurance sorted out my claim for my stolen Canon A1, AE1 & lenses. I flew from the UK to Spain with the Minolta in the hold luggage. Halfway through the holiday, whilst on a bus, the Minolta burst into flames. The bus driver was not amused. I have had nightmares ever since about leaving batteries in cameras whilst flying!

Jan 03, 2012 at 05:58 PM
Andy Wilson
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Batteries in Carry-On & Checked Bags

I don't check my camera and lenses but sometimes will check less critical equipment (maybe a second flash or something non photographic and inexpensive). I have had to reopen a bag to remove batteries from equipment on one occasion in Asia. So for check in I would keep the batteries out of the equipment. For carry-on I think it would matter less but if you do take them out keep them in easy reach as you might be asked to switch on some equipment to prove it is what it appears to be during security checks. And of course there is the probelem of check-in baggage sometimes going missing (even temporarily) as mentioned above. Some kind of cover over the terminals seems like a good idea. I usually keep AA's and AAA's in those special plastic boxes (there's a technical name which my brain cannot access at present) you can purchase for four of them.

Jan 04, 2012 at 03:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.