New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need some advice on tripod & ball head

karimh

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some advice on tripod & ball head

I am looking to upgrade from my cheap Velbon tripod to something a little bit more solid. After much reading and research, I am looking am looking at getting the Feisol CT-3401 tripod with a CB-40D head

I am mostly going to use this tripod for shooting landscapes, and potentially some macro work. It is not going to be exposed to very harsh conditions for the most part.

Does anyone have experience with this combination? Any insight would be appreciated.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:55 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some advice on tripod & ball head

It seems hard to find lots of reviews about anything Feisol, but what I have heard here and there seems to be positive. The only thing I'd say is you should check whether the head is Arca-compatible or not. It might be useful to have the broad array of camera/lens-specific plates available, especially L-brackets.

Jan 02, 2012 at 08:19 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some advice on tripod & ball head

karimh wrote:
I am looking to upgrade from my cheap Velbon tripod to something a little bit more solid. After much reading and research, I am looking am looking at getting the Feisol CT-3401 tripod with a CB-40D head

I am mostly going to use this tripod for shooting landscapes, and potentially some macro work. It is not going to be exposed to very harsh conditions for the most part.

Does anyone have experience with this combination? Any insight would be appreciated.

Feisol tripods are generally well regarded by those who cannot, or will not, afford the corresponding Gitzo model. I was an early adopter of the Feisol 3401, using it for about 6 years before I unintentionally destroyed it. Overall, I would say it was good but when it came time to replace it, I went with the 3442 to get an even more stable unit. If you can afford it, that is what I would recommend. And my experience is even more relevant as I do primarily landscape photography; I find it to be superior to the 3401 and lighter too.

As far as the CB-40D is concerned, I don't have direct experience. I did consider it but I decided to get something machined from metal that offered an Arca Swiss style clamp and camera-body-specific mounting plates. It is not clear to me that the Feisol CB-40D is Arca Swiss compatible. I would criticize the mounting plates shown on their website as more likely to rotate while the camera is mounted to the the head. I ended up buying a Photo Clam as a compromise between price and certainty in performance. So far (8 months), so good.

Hope this helps

Jan 02, 2012 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.