Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Moving from DSLR to what?

Erc0917

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moving from DSLR to what?

Hello Everyone,
So due to financial reasons, I am selling all of my DSLR gear, however I would still like to take photos with the same manual control, just in a much more portable, smaller form. I wrestled with the decision to sell my gear, however I came to the realization that I simply did not use it enough to justify having such expensive gear just sitting in the corner when there were bills to be paid. One of the reasons I didnt use my gear as often as I would have liked was due to the need to such a large camera around, even if it only had a 50 mounted. I have been looking into two cameras recently and am having trouble deciding between the two; the Canon s100 or the new Lumix GX1. The s100 is the cheaper option as well as the more portable one, however I just keep gravitating towards a micro 4/3rds system mainly because it is the closest thing to a dslr. Both have great manual controls and image quality, it basically boils down to the even more manual control with the GX1 and the ability to change lenses vs the cheaper more portable option. Which one would you choose?

TL,DR
Getting rid of DSLR gear for a more portable option, which one?: Canon s100 (high end point and shoot) or Lumix GX1 (Micro four-thirds system)

-Eric

Dec 31, 2011 at 01:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moving from DSLR to what?

Financial reasons and portability reasons are quite different. The better small ILC systems can easily cost more than an older DSLR system. The cheaper small systems or P/S produce lesser IQ.

EBH

Dec 31, 2011 at 03:38 PM
Chris Ventura
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moving from DSLR to what?

I think if you were to define a budget and describe what you like to shoot, you will get better suggestions. I don't really see the S100 being comparable to the Gx1.

The GX1 will be small if mated with a pankcake prime, and give you better image quality. The S100 gives you an optical zoom and more portability while sacrificing image quality and the ability to change lenses. Both are prices a bit apart once you add a lens to the Gx1.

Jan 02, 2012 at 01:13 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moving from DSLR to what?

I won't live without a viewfinder. I have a Lumix DMC-G3 with the 20mm f1.7 and 45mm f2.8 macro OS lenses, for when I want less bulk and weight, and I'm quite pleased with what those combinations can do.

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.