Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · What should I save for?

CoLmes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What should I save for?

Well here's my dilemma. I have a decent set up for the most part, I do portraits, family photos, child photos and whatever else kind of portraits come my way..

My setup is
60D
70-200 2.8 (used 90% of time)
50mm 1.8

My question is.. out of this what order would you purchase/save up for these

5d mark ii
24-70
35L
580 ex ii

Normally I wouldn't include a camera is this but I know that I am missing out on a lot by not being FF. I know I def. need a wider angle lens as well. Any suggestions would be great. I have a flash but its just a cheapy one.

Dec 31, 2011 at 04:20 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What should I save for?

580exii
35L
5dii
24-70

Dec 31, 2011 at 04:28 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What should I save for?

I think I'm with Rogie on this one. Your 60D is a master for your flash, so you can have it off camera. For portraits, lighting is gonna be a big deal. Full frame is great, but the camera you have now is no slouch.

Dec 31, 2011 at 05:10 AM
AChilders

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What should I save for?

Get the flash. You have a great lens and feet. Now all you need is some light to play with. I went with the 430exII and I love it, I'm looking for a 580, but to learn the 430 has been a GREAT addition to my list of gear. Getting into lighting is a whole new spectrum and mastering it is not easy. If learning is what your going for, get the flash. You can invest in a wide angle later.

Jan 01, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What should I save for?

Yes, off-camera lighting is the next frontier for your portraits. I regard the Pocket Wizard Mini TT1, AC3, and three Flex TT5s, along with two softboxes and a good modifier for the third, plus a portable background, as absolutely essential for me being able to make high-quality portraits. A good camera and lens, yes, but no matter which of those you use, without the lighting you're still only going to be able to make snapshots. Well, that may be a bit much, since windows and reflectors can also be very good, but the lighting allows so much more control and flexibility.

Jan 01, 2012 at 12:54 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What should I save for?

CoLmes wrote:
...I do portraits, family photos, child photos and whatever else kind of portraits come my way. ...I have a flash but its just a cheapy one.

Lights! Good ones, and a selection of modifiers!

CoLmes wrote:
My question is.. out of this what order would you purchase/save up for...

Among the items you listed only, my order would be:

580EX II
35L
24-70
5D Mark II

Jan 01, 2012 at 01:08 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What should I save for?

I personally go for versatility vs the best of a specialty. I'd go:

1. lighting (580)
2. 24-70
3. 5d2
4. 35L

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:04 PM
kjcramer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What should I save for?

I'll jump in and say the 580 and a couple light modifiers is the most important thing...by far. The rest of your setup will be great for portraits.

The next step isn't nearly as cut and dry. There have been so many threads debating the virtues of full-frame VS crop on here. Some quote valid, others a little more "emotional". You have to really ask yourself if you are going to be satisfied without trying out full frame. If the answer is no, legitimate or not you should probably save for a 5D. My point is - know thyself.

Happy Shooting.

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:11 PM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What should I save for?

I would say forget the little flash, save up your money and get a couple of 400W studio flashes on stands with translucent white umbrellas. Not sexy, but will give you a wonderful new world of lighting to explore.

Getting studio flash will directly feed into exciting new photography for you, much more than this body or that lens.

Jan 02, 2012 at 06:39 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What should I save for?

24-70 and a 430 flash.

17-55 would really be a better choice for a 60D... buy one used and sell it when you change cameras.

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What should I save for?

580exii

Light stand
Umbrella swivel
Cold shoe

Use camera"s trigger for now. Move to rf down the line.
Umbrella.

You can do so much with one umbrella

Jan 02, 2012 at 07:12 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What should I save for?

David Baldwin wrote:
I would say forget the little flash, save up your money and get a couple of 400W studio flashes on stands with translucent white umbrellas. Not sexy, but will give you a wonderful new world of lighting to explore.

Getting studio flash will directly feed into exciting new photography for you, much more than this body or that lens.

Actually, that's a pretty good point about a studio strobe. You could get an ab400 with stand and umbrella for a little over $300 triggered by a pc cord

Jan 03, 2012 at 12:46 AM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What should I save for?

Are you guys really recommending Light Stands and umbrellas ?
I don't think the OP is a Pro, so i am guessing his portraits are not in Studio but in the streets or around the house.
Of course a 430/580 is a good addition, but umbrellas? Seriously? You guys walk the street or run around your family with umbrellas

My take, the flash is a good choice and you can get it for much less money than anything on your list.
But you can do GREAT portraits without flash, even indoors. There are so many ways to do it using natural light.
The 35L is a gem but it needs FF to show its best, so don't buy it before the 5D.

Jan 03, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What should I save for?

1. some sort of light and a mod or 2; probably start w a 580 and an umbrella/sb

2. full frame

3. 35L

also like the suggestions of getting the flash off the camera

good luck!

Jan 03, 2012 at 01:33 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What should I save for?

safcraft wrote:
Are you guys really recommending Light Stands and umbrellas ? ...Of course a 430/580 is a good addition, but umbrellas? Seriously? You guys walk the street or run around your family with umbrellas?

Yes, and yes.

(I don't "run around [my] family with umbrellas," but I do set up a home studio from time to time on an as needed basis.)

Jan 03, 2012 at 01:56 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What should I save for?

I'd leave flash for later - most if not all portraits are done in daylight. Learn to work with natural lighting first before adding flash. If anything get a nice reflector.

My order:
24-70mm
5Dm2
35L
580ex2

If you want to try OCF for cheap, you can go with manual slaves which cost $60 a piece and some cheap RF triggers for another $40 a piece. For $300 you'll have twin-light setup with stands and umbrellas. And that's cheaper then 430ex2.

Jan 03, 2012 at 05:03 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What should I save for?

I'd get a 17-55 for wide end; I hope that Canon is making them the right way now! (mine was very fine optically but plagued with various electronic failures).

Jan 03, 2012 at 07:14 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What should I save for?

G-Gore wrote:
I'd leave flash for later - most if not all portraits are done in daylight...

certainly many ports are done in daylight, but usually with at least the use of a reflector or OCF for fill - which means either an assistant or lightstand. Yeah if you've got the perfect shady/clouds/time of day the light is soft enough to go au naturale, but....

I also agree that windowlight is a fantastic way to light, but again you're looking for versatility...

Jan 03, 2012 at 06:21 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What should I save for?

A trip

Jan 03, 2012 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password