New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Sorry - I know this belongs (and has been posted) in the general gear forum but I'm not getting anywhere there so I thought I'd cheat and post here, since it's a bit more active.

I am looking for a rolling bag for my gear. Not sure I'll come up with the perfect solution but my goal is to find something that will hold most of my gear, yet be internationally air travel friendly. I like Think Tank's airport series but they are (or seem, anyway) quite heavy when empty, never mind loaded up.

On the other hand, if I could find a way to store everything in one place at home, then only carry the essentials on a trip, that may be good, too. At the moment my stuff is spread between a couple Lowepro bags and a couple Mountainsmith bags and I'd really like a more organized, consolidated solution. I have PM'd a seller here on his TT Airport Security, thinking it was the International. I am not writing that off, but it's larger than what I'd use for (most) travel, so it becomes a very nice, but expensive way to store my gear. It really shouldn't be this complicated!

Any input would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:43 PM
timbop
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I don't think you can carry all that gear in a rolling airline bag small enough to fit the overhead. Your best bet is to have a smaller bag for travel and a big bag for normal use. I have a lowepro x300 which easily holds my whole kit with room for some more. I also have a tamrac expedition 9 that I use for travel - it can hold a laptop, gripped body, long lens (70-200/2.8is), short lens (24-70), small prime (85/1.8), and flash - as well as a laptop. With all that in the backpack it can be heavy, but it is just small enough to fit under the seat in front of you

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:08 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I really like Think Tank and Pelican. Many models depending on the need.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:09 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

oh, and I assume all your gear in your profile is what you meant? My roller holds 2 gripped bodies, 70-200/2.8is, 24-70, 2x 580's, cpe4, 85/1.8, tammy 17-35, LED light, radio triggers, extra AA batteries, fanny pack, 2 collapsible fongs, reflectors, and miscellaneous doodads

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:12 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Thanks guys. Yeah, and I'll be adding a backup body as soon as I know what the heck Canon will do (IF ANYTHING) with the 5DII this year. I think what I'd love, is a less expensive roller to hold everything at home (maybe a Pelican, I have considered those), and then perhaps the Think Tank Airstream for travel - or I was looking at the LowePro Lite Roller series of rollers. I like the way LowePro has designed the lid so that it hinges on the long side of the bag.

One of the questions I forgot to include here is whether anyone has experience with the LowePro Roller Lite bags?

Think Tanks seem sturdier, but that could be untrue. I am trying to get away from backpacks - I have a LowePro mini trekker that I like and use a lot, but I would love to ease the load on my back now that my gear is weighing more and I am getting older!

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:43 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I purchased my roller bag from Calumet. Just as rugged but a lot cheaper.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:54 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Pelican 1510. Holds 2 1 series bodies, 24-70, 70-200 2.8IS, 135, 50, 2 flashes, batteries, meter.

You will not find a "light weight" solution to this problem, and yes, this is better in a different section. By and large SLR's and lenses are pretty similar in size. Moderation of that topic type has went down in the tubes, and I'm pretty sure you could get away with posting a "what car do I buy next", as long as it's prefaced with "I own a canon camera". So don't sweat it.

Any lowepro bag will be high quality for the most part.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:55 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I should mention that when I travel, I rarely take everything with me. Travel would be 2 bodies, 2-3 lenses and associated paraphernalia. (Batteries, chargers, cards, etc.)

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:04 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I also have the Pelican 1510 - l like it very much. I carry a 5DMKII, 7D, and 5 prime lenses in it. Still room for other accessories. It's not the lightest roller, but it's nice to know nothing is going to hurt your gear. Even 4 kids jumping around in the back of the van where it's packed with the rest of vacation items

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:05 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

while i personally have not used the lowepro roll-on bags, i hear they tend to brake down over the year of use.

i know several people - pro wedding shooters who will not buy them again.

me, I like the pelican executive series. internationally sized for overhead bins.
i can verify this - good bag to travel with.

I hear really good marks for the think tank roll-on bags too.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:37 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Thanks all - good information to have! The Pelican to buy would be the one with the padded inserts, right? Their web site is a bit on the "lean" side...

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:42 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Sharona wrote:
Thanks all - good information to have! The Pelican to buy would be the one with the padded inserts, right? Their web site is a bit on the "lean" side...

Do not get that pull and pluck. While it's probably "more padding", it's very, very specific. Things have to be pulled out just right, and if you pull too much, you're effed.

Buy the 1510. I don't take everything with me all of the time either. When I do that, I take a 1510 and a 1620.

The 1510 is one of the best photography purchases I've made. I can use it as a seat, a step stool, it's water resistant, it's sturdy as can be.

I love it.

Get the padded dividers.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:46 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I used a Kiboku bag, and have a separate folding roller wheels that I use when I fly. The combination works well for me.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:59 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Thanks Robert! I have to say that this one may not be quite large enough though. Look at my profile, add another body, perhaps another lens or two, a Fong Tupperware diffuser, cords, chargers, etc... I am really liking this idea a lot, for storing the whole lot. An I def. want wheels. Is there a next larger size?

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:15 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

jstephens62 wrote:
I used a Kiboku bag, and have a separate folding roller wheels that I use when I fly. The combination works well for me.

I really like the idea of Andy's bags a lot. And interesting that you use folding wheels because I actually thought of that same idea and wondered if it would work! Do you fly internationally with this set-up?

Thanks again all, and esp. for not minding the post over here.

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:17 PM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Here's something i posted a few days back.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1070341/0#10181223

I've got a 1510 case for home and use it when shooting in this country, its probably one of the finest purchases for camera storage I've ever bought. But to travel abroad it's quite heavy.

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:49 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

Thanks Rav13 - I will look at that thread later. I should add that I think I asked one question in the beginning and sort of switched gears. I'm thinking now that I want something that I can store everything at home in one container, such as a pelican, and then find a decent travel roller and so far the Think Tanks look pretty good, if not pricey.

Thanks again!

Dec 30, 2011 at 08:08 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I have too many bags, but as my back gets more problematic, a roller seems to be the answer. I looked at the LP roller 200 and the TT airport security and international. I am getting away from backpacks as they are not great to shoot out of and are getting heavy. I love my TT retro 20. Hence, I have a TT streetwalker HD as my mother bag and it contains most of my gear. For auto travel it is OK, however I do not like to leave it in the rig. For traveling, or flying or when I need to move my gear any distance, a roller is nice. My solution was a bit of a mistake. I had stopped in a Target dept store to get some last minute items for a trip to Hawaii. I was then going to Samy's to get the TT roller.

At Target, I found an Eddie Bauer computer roller bag for $80. This bag is perfect for me. It is airline carryon approved. I fill up a backpack with my gear and place it in the bag, plus my laptop and cords. I have room to spare and put in other needed items--sweat shirt, candy, gum, food, etc. and my TT retro 20. I have flown around the world with it and just got back from another trip to Hawaii. If anyone wants to see pics, let me know. Just as an aside, I will be getting a TT airport security.

Cheers, Steve

Dec 30, 2011 at 09:07 PM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

ssc45 wrote:
I have too many bags, but as my back gets more problematic, a roller seems to be the answer. I looked at the LP roller 200 and the TT airport security and international. I am getting away from backpacks as they are not great to shoot out of and are getting heavy. I love my TT retro 20. Hence, I have a TT streetwalker HD as my mother bag and it contains most of my gear. For auto travel it is OK, however I do not like to leave it in the rig. For traveling, or flying or when I
...Show more

I'd love to see it Steve.

Dec 30, 2011 at 09:34 PM
Alanu
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · ROLLING bags for CANON gear

I cant stress how much I appreciate my Thinktank airport security v2. The roller can pack alot of gear. Just picked up a Tenba large Roadie so this will be a great roller bag for me to lug 3 einstiens and VML's for transport.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:57 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.