Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2011 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring
  
 
murigius
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


I just bought the Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM which does not come with a tripod ring which list around $188, a bit more than I want to pay.
Since the lens is reasonably heavy, I don't want to stress my 5D MkII lens mount with this 2.3 lb lens, especially when the zoom is extended.
Question: Does anyone know if the 5DII lens mount is strong enough to take the weight?

Thanks,
Ed Murphy



Dec 30, 2011 at 05:28 AM
sbay
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


Use the lens on my 5dII all the time without the tripod ring and it seems fine. I highly doubt canon would release the collar if it would warp the lens mount. That said, I probably will get the collar for increased stability on a tripod (agree that price of the collar is too high).


Dec 30, 2011 at 05:41 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


murigius wrote:
I just bought the Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM which does not come with a tripod ring which list around $188, a bit more than I want to pay.
Since the lens is reasonably heavy, I don't want to stress my 5D MkII lens mount with this 2.3 lb lens, especially when the zoom is extended.
Question: Does anyone know if the 5DII lens mount is strong enough to take the weight?

Thanks,
Ed Murphy


it's plenty strong enough although balance on tripod is not as good



Dec 30, 2011 at 05:41 AM
murigius
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


Thanks, skibum5

So if it's just a questions of balance, I'll just hang on to it a little more securely.

Ed



Dec 30, 2011 at 05:44 AM
dwweiche
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


You could try one of the cheaper third party collars off Fleabay. There's some risk with it but they are way cheaper.

Anyone remember the photo of the sports photog with his 400 f2.8 lens mounted, and monopod attached to the camera mount. Not recommending that



Dec 30, 2011 at 06:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


murigius wrote:
Question: Does anyone know if the 5DII lens mount is strong enough to take the weight?

Thanks,
Ed Murphy


The way to look at it is canon would provide the ring if they thought the mount couldnt take the weight. Just look at the 70-200 lenses . The f4's don't have rings but the 2.8's do .

Now the ring can make things easier to use when tripod mounted so there is something to be said for owning a ring as well.

Be careful of cheap fleabag rings though. Theres always a argument on here as to knock off rings . Some say that most are made in the same factory etc . My tale on it for what it's worth is . Yes the genuine ring is to expensive but seeing you expensive rig hit the concrete could result in a much larger bill.



Dec 30, 2011 at 08:47 AM
reno.peterson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Be careful of cheap fleabag rings though. Theres always a argument on here as to knock off rings . Some say that most are made in the same factory etc . My tale on it for what it's worth is . Yes the genuine ring is to expensive but seeing you expensive rig hit the concrete could result in a much larger bill.


Great advice!!! I've had one "knock-off" tripod ring mount, and it didn't break or malfunction technically. It didn't fit nearly as well as the Canon version, and I used it once tor change from landscape to portrait orientation, and within about 3 mm of turning I felt a very uncomfortable grind, and within a minute the lens was out of the ring and the ring was in the trash. I figured the $12.95 that I'd spent on it was "stupid-tax" !!! Canon also 100% backs up their parts in the event of a malfunction/failure. Does "Goober's Garage and Diner Tripod Ring Mount's Discount Drive-In" ?

Remember, it's not ALL about the money spent. I don't want to spend all my money either, but sometimes shortcuts up front, equal bigger cost in the long run.



Dec 30, 2011 at 02:32 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


The unfortunate thing is Canon cheaped out and didn't include the ring and that the ebay knock-offs were really designed for an older lens that has a somewhat similar, but slightly smaller diameter, so I've heard lots of complaints that you have to bend them out to make it fit and that you put a lot of stress on the cheap ring and that it won't quite lock down to 100% closed position, etc.

So I sit here waiting, refusing to give in to the Canon tripod ring rip-off and not wanting the pseudo-fitting cheapo rings either. Hopefully they make a knock-off truly meant for this lens eventually.



Dec 30, 2011 at 05:50 PM
murigius
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


dwweiche wrote:
You could try one of the cheaper third party collars off Fleabay. There's some risk with it but they are way cheaper.

Anyone remember the photo of the sports photog with his 400 f2.8 lens mounted, and monopod attached to the camera mount. Not recommending that

Thanks, dwweich, for the advice. I'll save up for the real thing.
I'd like to add some photos just taken with this new lens for critique, both of the lens and my skill level. Any idea where I can post them?

Thanks again!



Dec 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Dick Snyder
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


I bought a collar from a seller on "the bay" that was advertised as being specifically for the 70-300L. Cost $50, perfect fit and paint match. Excellent construction and it works very well so far.




Dec 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM
murigius
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
The way to look at it is canon would provide the ring if they thought the mount couldnt take the weight. Just look at the 70-200 lenses . The f4's don't have rings but the 2.8's do .

Now the ring can make things easier to use when tripod mounted so there is something to be said for owning a ring as well.

Be careful of cheap fleabag rings though. Theres always a argument on here as to knock off rings . Some say that most are made in the same factory etc . My tale on it for what it's
...Show more

Thanks, Ian.
Looks like, given what I've invested already in this gear, I'd be nuts to skimp on how well the lens defies gravity. I took some photos w/ the lens today both on a monopod (IS off) and handheld. Is there a space on FM where I can post them for critique?

Thanks for the good advice.
Ed



Dec 30, 2011 at 11:50 PM
murigius
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


Dick Snyder wrote:
I bought a collar from a seller on "the bay" that was advertised as being specifically for the 70-300L. Cost $50, perfect fit and paint match. Excellent construction and it works very well so far.



Thanks, Dick. Hmmm, I wonder if one knew that the collar was *specifically* for this model lens, then it would make sense to try it, especially for a third the price of a new one.

Ed



Dec 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM
resiak
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


Dick Snyder wrote:
I bought a collar from a seller on "the bay" that was advertised as being specifically for the 70-300L. Cost $50, perfect fit and paint match. Excellent construction and it works very well so far.



Hi Dick,

Could you supply a link to the ebay seller. I'd like a knock off that was made for the lens.

Thanks
Frank



Dec 31, 2011 at 01:16 AM
Dick Snyder
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS USM Tripod ring


Frank

I sent the link to you. Sorry I was so slow. I am always nervous to recommend these type of things because I never know what kind of quality control is involved in their manufacture. A number of the sellers say "fits the Canon 100-400mm lens but will also fit the Canon 70-300mm L lens although it is tight" I wouldn't touch one of those.

Dick



Jan 03, 2012 at 04:09 AM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password