Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

VTXT

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Ok so I received the 17-55 and noticed that I simply cannot get even sharpness across the frame for landscape shots unless I stop down to F11. The left 1/4 of the frame is somewhat blurred/smudged unless i squeeze down to f11.

With a 2.8 lens the entire frame should be sharp by f5.6 from my past experiences with other lenses. I'm a little disappointed given how this lens cost me a grand. It would be hard for me to use the 17-55 as an all around lens if I cannot get sharp landscapes at anything below f11..

Otherwise this is a stellar lens. It can allow me to use ISOs two stops lower than with my D700/24-70 combo. The soft mirror slap of the T2i with the 2.8 and IS allows me to hand hold down to 1/5 second for static objects and night street scenes.

What is everyone else's experience with the 17-55?

thanks!

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:41 AM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Sounds like an off centered front element. I've never experienced it before, but have heard it defined many times.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:53 AM
cocosphere
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

I agree with UsseryG. It sounds like your lens needs to be checked for alignment. I have had two copies of this lens, the first one wasn't as sharp as I had hoped when compared to a friends 24-70L. The second one was very sharp and I had no problem with sharpness across the frame by f/5.6.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:57 AM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Definitely not normal. Return if possible.

Dec 30, 2011 at 04:59 AM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Return it, mine is very sharp everywhere at f7

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:23 AM
walter23
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Had that problem once with another lens. An exchange solved it.

BTW I'm using a Tamron 17-50 now and love it. Great contrast, sharp as nails. Might consider it as a lower cost alternative to the 17-55 (with just as good optics; just a slight sacrifice in build and AF) and put some money back in the bank.

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:35 AM
VTXT

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Yup it's going back to BnH! For a thousand bucks I should expect better.
T2i is a fantastic camera by the way. I like it much more than the D7000 and at only $500 for the body alone it is a fantastic value. The 18MP Canon sensor is better than the D7000/K5 Sony sensor from my experience.

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:48 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

If the same side of the frame is consistently out of focus, you almost certainly have a lens that needs to go in to Canon for adjustment.

This is not an unusual thing - lenses can go out of adjustment this way. I had it happen to a 24-105 of mine. I sent it to Canon and it came back working better than when it was new.

In your case, if you purchased a new lens that is doing this, it should be covered under warranty and the adjustment should be free. Or you may be able to return it to the vendor and simply get a replacement.

Do make sure that other lenses you own are not doing the same thing. If so, you could have a problem with the alignment of the camera's lens mount or even the sensor.

Dan

VTXT wrote:
Ok so I received the 17-55 and noticed that I simply cannot get even sharpness across the frame for landscape shots unless I stop down to F11. The left 1/4 of the frame is somewhat blurred/smudged unless i squeeze down to f11.

With a 2.8 lens the entire frame should be sharp by f5.6 from my past experiences with other lenses. I'm a little disappointed given how this lens cost me a grand. It would be hard for me to use the 17-55 as an all around lens if I cannot get sharp landscapes at anything below f11..

Otherwise this is a
...Show more

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:04 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

I had a 70-200 4L that was blurry on the left side from F4 to F8. It started out fine but drifted out after a couple years of use. I didn't ever drop or bang it but it got shook a lot when I ran or biked with the lens. Canon calibrated/aligned it and it was tack sharp again.

I have a 2007 17-55 2.8 IS and it is one of the sharpest zooms I have owned. My only nitpick is it is a little more prone to flare than my L optics, so not a good sunset lens.

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_efs17-55.htm

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:26 PM
VTXT

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Ok maybe I should send it to Canon for an alignment rather than to BnH for replacement or refund. I really like the 17-55 and want to keep it.

How do you send in a Canon lens for warranty work?? I cannot find the info anywhere. The red warranty card doesn't have any address, and I cannot find any warranty information on the Canon USA website..

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:52 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

If you're within B&H's return period, I'd return as this type of problem is rare out of the box. Of course the alignment problem may have not be CAnon QC but, instead, due to a careless toss by the UPS driver. I wouldn't bother with Canon Service unless outside the window. I googled Canon USA for you:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/consumer_repair

Dec 30, 2011 at 07:08 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

Yup, my 15-85 was like that

Dec 30, 2011 at 07:27 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 17-55 sharpness for Landscape use

VTXT wrote:
Ok maybe I should send it to Canon for an alignment rather than to BnH for replacement or refund. I really like the 17-55 and want to keep it.

How do you send in a Canon lens for warranty work?? I cannot find the info anywhere. The red warranty card doesn't have any address, and I cannot find any warranty information on the Canon USA website..

If it is new enough to return to B&H, I think I'd also recommend that option first. A new lens should not exhibit this sort of problem, and if it does I'm sure B&H will make good on it for you. If not, your warranty should take care of it.

Dan

Dec 31, 2011 at 01:40 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password