Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Metz 54-3 question

nml
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Metz 54-3 question

Hey all,

Long time since I've been up to date but anyway....

Have an original 1D and use to use a Metz 54-3 with the SCA 3102 foot... apparently the version is M2, but had something (as I vaguely remember it) backed down to be more accurate with 'Auto' mode....

Anyway, when I hook the two together and power up, the 'flash button' on the bottom right should turn green (indicating it's ready to fire), it just blinks green.... the flash will fire, but the results / exposure is really variable...

I've looked on the web and tried to call metz usa, but can't seem to find out if it's worth pursuing this issue or if I just need to buy a new flash gun (an new foot SCA 3102 is > $100 and the last time I sent it in several years ago, the bill was close to $150 for what ever they did)...

If there is a fairly cheap way to fix it, great, if not what flash gun should I look at for the time being...

Additional info... I'm playing with a friends 5D2 and an original 580ex flash (not the 580exII) and can see me obtaining a 5D2 in the next few months...so one option may be go ahead and bite the bullet and get the newest 580ex.... but I'd sure like whatever I get to work with the original 1D also...

many thanks for any recommendations...

Mick

Dec 29, 2011 at 04:34 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Metz 54-3 question

So you're asking if the newer 580exii will work with the 1d? Or if your metz 54-3 will work with a 5dii?

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:54 PM
nml
• •
p.1 #3 · Metz 54-3 question

Yeah, most of my posts are confusing...
I guess I wonder if it's worth sending my original Metz in to a shop to try and figure out what's wrong with it (when I push the blinking green 'flash button'-- the flash will Strobe for about 5 seconds... then the flash button will start blinking green again).. or if I should just try to replace the foot and see if it'll work...

Or

Should I just get a 580ex (580exii) and use it until I get around to upgrading cameras... the original 580ex will work on my 1D, but I'm not sure it's working as well as it's supposed to work on some of the more modern cameras....

So I guess my real question is what flash should I get for my original 1D... fix the Metz or get something else..

thanks

Mick

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:03 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Metz 54-3 question

Well I guess it depends if you need ettl/auto functions or not. If not, you could save a great deal of money going with some of the manual flash options such as vivitar, yongnuo, etc. If you are utilizing ettl functions, then it would probably be best to stick with a 580exii or 430exii.

I have a 580exii but I only use it in manual with off camera flash. If I were to get another flash, it would probably be a vivitar 285hv. YMMV.

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wilt
• • •
p.1 #5 · Metz 54-3 question

In order for the SCA 3102 to work with a newer Canon body, you are likely to need to send the unit Manfrotto Distribution, for USA (formerly Bogen Imaging) for firmware upgrade to M5 version. The M3 version firmware was previously needed for the flash to work properly with the 20D. Later firmware versions support subsequent Canon dSLR models.

Jan 03, 2012 at 09:09 PM
artd
• • •
p.1 #6 · Metz 54-3 question

When I sent my Metz 3102 module in to upgrade to M5, they were able to do so free of charge...

Jan 03, 2012 at 09:15 PM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #7 · Metz 54-3 question

I used to use 54MZ-3 with 1D. Call Bogen and find out which version do you need.

Sometimes they don't want to upgrade certain versions. For instance, I sent M2 to be upgraded to whatever is the latest version and they said that it could not be done.

Jan 04, 2012 at 08:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password