Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

dshipley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

As a pro who owns and shoots with both Nikon and Canon systems I really wish Canon would primarily address the AF system (speed and accuracy) and number of AF points following in the 5D line (and if they decreased the shutter lag that would be nice as well). I know Canon talks about keeping their bodies in different market segments / price points, however, Nikon was able to put their Multi-CAM 3500 AF system into the D300/s, the D700, the D3/s, and the D3x while still keeping each camera in a different market segment / price point. With Canon being a vastly larger company I would expect that if Nikon can do this Canon should be able to as well.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM
burningheart
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

RobertLynn wrote:
I bet 5d3 has 10 fps, 40mp, dual card slot, built in wireless, and weather sealed to withstand volcanoes.

Oh it will be kitted with 20-90mmf/2 is lens.

Release with the lens and pixma printer will be $3000 with a $700 mail in rebate.

Gotta be a [CR5].

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

+1.

dshipley wrote:
As a pro who owns and shoots with both Nikon and Canon systems I really wish Canon would primarily address the AF system (speed and accuracy) and number of AF points following in the 5D line (and if they decreased the shutter lag that would be nice as well). I know Canon talks about keeping their bodies in different market segments / price points, however, Nikon was able to put their Multi-CAM 3500 AF system into the D300/s, the D700, the D3/s, and the D3x while still keeping each camera in a different market segment / price point. With Canon
...Show more

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM
Scorpio69
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

I love Lindsey Lohan.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM
Gary Petersen
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

RobertLynn wrote:
I bet 5d3 has 10 fps, 40mp, dual card slot, built in wireless, and weather sealed to withstand volcanoes.

Oh it will be kitted with 20-90mmf/2 is lens.

Release with the lens and pixma printer will be $3000 with a $700 mail in rebate.

I'd still stick with my Mk III.

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM
ricknash

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

dshipley wrote:
As a pro who owns and shoots with both Nikon and Canon systems I really wish Canon would primarily address the AF system (speed and accuracy) and number of AF points following in the 5D line (and if they decreased the shutter lag that would be nice as well). I know Canon talks about keeping their bodies in different market segments / price points, however, Nikon was able to put their Multi-CAM 3500 AF system into the D300/s, the D700, the D3/s, and the D3x while still keeping each camera in a different market segment / price point. With Canon
...Show more
+1 on these thoughts. This is one area where the Canon models yield very different results yet the Nikon models are much more consistent with with their focus accuracy. Why deliberately cripple the AF of a lesser priced camera in order to make the flagship model look so much better? Too bad the philosophy wasn't more about producing the very best in every camera product that Canon manufactures. Its sad when a lens performs completely differently on one body compared to another.

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:07 PM
Invertalon
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

Because it is to make money... Why buy the $7000 flagship when you could buy "this model" for $2000 and have all the same features? No sense at all.

It is the same reason why car companies cripple budget cars compared to high end models, on engines, build materials, etc...

It is working for them, and will continue to do it. The 5D3 will not have what the 1Dx has. It may have similiar features, but will be crippled in many ways so people will spend the extra money on the 1Dx who need it.

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:18 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

Invertalon wrote:
It is working for them, and will continue to do it. The 5D3 will not have what the 1Dx has. It may have similiar features, but will be crippled in many ways so people will spend the extra money on the 1Dx who need it.

The 5D3 will be much farther away from the 1DX than the 5D2 was from the 1D(s)3.

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:26 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

stanj wrote:
The 5D3 will be much farther away from the 1DX than the 5D2 was from the 1D(s)3.

You might be right ... but I hope you are wrong.

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:49 PM
pompo
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

the 5d III will be a major upgrade, clean 12800 ISO and better AF. (more mpix would be nice too

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:03 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

RobertLynn wrote:
People are so gullible.

Same people that subscribe to this canon rumor place are the people who buy "the national enquirer er".

Sorry...bat boy isn't real.

His was the only site to mention that a FF would be announced when it was. And he did have some earlier rumors that the announcement was floating around a bit and that did perfectly fit with how they ended up announcing the 1DX and the specs were on the site a few days ahead.

Not that the CR/NL record is quite as good as it used to be but there has been some stuff still coming true.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:05 PM
Langran
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

I want a 5D mk 2 so bad. forget all the other stuff I'd love to be able to afford the existing one! main reason I'd like to see a mk3 come out is so the existing one becomes affordable.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:06 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

stanj wrote:

In that case I predict I keep my 5D2 and so do most other people. And some go to Nikon.
Give it a crippled 7D AF (even a full 7D AF module wouldn't be all that amazing IMO this late in the game, sometimes I trust my 5D2 center point more for basic stuff) and keep it at 3.9fps or maybe even drop it to 3fps just to keep the 1DX reallly safe. Foolish game. Only so many will get a $7000 body. The ones who will pay that much and really need speed wouldn't be happy with even 50D frame rate, at least not for the primary body. That single aspect alone, nothing else touched should be enough even if they gave it 1D4 AF. Part of me thinks they won't be so foolish as to hold back too much this time. But part of me is expecting to just end up keeping my 5D2!

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:09 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

Invertalon wrote:
Because it is to make money... Why buy the $7000 flagship when you could buy "this model" for $2000 and have all the same features? No sense at all.

It is the same reason why car companies cripple budget cars compared to high end models, on engines, build materials, etc...

How many $7000 flagships actually sell?
Isn't merely having 8fps or more enough for those who must have the speed and the new stuff to get it, ignoring everything else? Certainly toss in the new 1DX AF and what more do they need to cripple. 5D with 50D speed and 1D4 AF still wouldn't cut it is a top of the line super serious pro speed body, still too slow and it still wouldn't have the supposedly much better 1DX AF if they needed to leave that out too. And if it stills a few second body sales to the big boys well they might have been willing to compromise even more so many of those sales still might not have been a second 1DX anyway. OTOH crippled it too much and you risk people sticking with the 5D2 or starting out with Nikon or eying Nikon just a bit too much this time since it would've been a long series of overly crippled bodies other than 7D for many years now. EVen the 60D they removed the MFA just to cripple it to help 7D or 70D sales, come on.

If they want to split things then split the 5D3 into 5D3 and 5D3+ the 5D3 can be the new sensor and nothing more other than the new in cam processing and hopefully less aliased video and priced at or below 5D2 initial pricing. The 5D3+ can have the 6.3fps and all of the 40D/50D and 1D4 AF and they can bump it a thousand or so over the 5D2 initial price if they must.

Dec 29, 2011 at 02:13 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

Invertalon wrote:

stanj wrote:

skibum5 wrote:
In that case I predict I keep my 5D2 and so do most other people. And some go to Nikon.
Give it a crippled 7D AF (even a full 7D AF module wouldn't be all that amazing IMO this late in the game, sometimes I trust my 5D2 center point more for basic stuff) and keep it at 3.9fps or maybe even drop it to 3fps just to keep the 1DX reallly safe. Foolish game. Only so many will get a $7000 body. The ones who will pay that much and really need speed wouldn't be happy with even 50D frame
...Show more

The market is changing. Some people need a high frame rate; most of the people who need a high frame rate don't need the highest of all resolutions. Also, usually those same people need tank like build, both PJ and sports people do.

Then there are those who shoot in the studio, inside and around buildings, and in the wilderness. Both users don't need a high frame rate, nor the highest ISO, nor the fastest AF. They do want high resolution. For those people, a 7D AF module in a weather proofed 5D2-like body, bearing 36MP or so, at 3-4 fps, would be ideal.

People who want a high frame rate without the 1DX price tag still can get the 7D. I think the logic that those who want a high frame rate don't want the ultra high resolution, and vice versa, is what's killing the status quo lineup.

Anyway, that's my prediction - and I'll be buying.

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:37 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

stanj wrote:
The market is changing. Some people need a high frame rate; most of the people who need a high frame rate don't need the highest of all resolutions. Also, usually those same people need tank like build, both PJ and sports people do.

Then there are those who shoot in the studio, inside and around buildings, and in the wilderness. Both users don't need a high frame rate, nor the highest ISO, nor the fastest AF. They do want high resolution. For those people, a 7D AF module in a weather proofed 5D2-like body, bearing 36MP or so, at 3-4 fps,
...Show more

what about those who just need a strong all-around camera?

27-31MP for pretty decent reach, if not quite top APS-C level and quite solid max landscape/etc detail

6.3fps and mirror/trigger times of 50D-level but not really pro speed, so 1DX is protected no serious action pro wants only 6.3fps at least not for main body, but it is enough to sometimes get two key frames, if not always so it's vastly better than the 3-4 fps of the 5 series so far

1D4 nice AF but not the match for the new 1DX level

small body size for those who don't want a 1 series brick even if they cost $1000

can be a bit less rugged and not quite 100% VF if they want a bit more to distinguish the 1DX for the rough and tumble PJ

the D800 specs actually sound very close athough you'd haveto argue on 1DX vs top nikon AF and the extra fps are with grip only and apparently only at crop size, all canon would have to do is dirve the extra fps without grip and at FF both of which they can and then they have the D800 beat

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:44 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · I want a 5D Mark III So hard...

Scorpio69 wrote:
I love Lindsey Lohan.

Who is she? Doing pictures?

Dec 29, 2011 at 05:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.