Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

LR-Radley

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

First off, forgive me, I know this has been asked over and over. I have searched online and read different posts here and other sites about this, but still feel clueless on what would be the best choice for me.

I had a 5d, sold it - felt it wasn't performing as I needed right now. I am not a pro, just a mom that likes photography, and having nice pictures of my kids / nature etc.

I found in low light conditions the af was too slow and the noise at higher (1600) ISO was just more than I like. I love the IQ and when I can get my kids to hold still or am able to get a free moment and go shoot something outdoors, the images were beautiful. I guess why it makes this such a hard choice for me.

I currently have a 35 f/2 & 50 1.4 that I use most. I also have a 28-135 that I just feel meh about.
I do find I need a longer reach when my kids are running quickly around the yard or at dance recitals, sports etc. So I was thinking of getting a 135L, but a zoom is tempting for it's versatility - of which I was leaning toward the 70-200 f/4 IS (not sure I'd be totally happy with this) but wish I could afford the 70-200 2.8ii.

Without writing you a book,
Should I -

* Get a t2i / 60d / 7d and some better glass (I'm torn on going back to a crop sensor after having the 5d, but the IQ is supposedly the same for those 3, as well as the video capabilities. The af system & fps on the 7d tempts me)

* Upgrade to the 5d mark ii and hold out on any new glass for now

I know 'they' always say glass first, but am I going to regret stepping 'back' to the crop sensor and IQ on the t2i / 60d / 7d?

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.. I know it's annoying but I do appreciate any friendly advice

Dec 28, 2011 at 09:51 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

5D AF = 5D2 AF. If you didn't like the 5D AF, the 5D2 doesn't seem to be the answer. Having said that, I find the 5D2's center AF point very good in low light. And I doubt the 7D and other crop cams will give you better center AF point performance. Even my former 1Ds3 wasn't better than my 5D2 for that. So... how did you use the 5D's AF? Did you by any chance used the outer AF points in low light? On the noise... exposing correctly is key here. The 5D2 is somewhat cleaner at ISO's beyond 1600. But if you underexpose, nothing will help. I have no issues using ISO6400 on the 5D2 if the situation calls for it. Perfectly fine for smaller prints.

On the longer lens... have you considered the 100/2? Fast, cheap, long, great IQ.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM
reno.peterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

Hi again Lauren...My current profile doesn't have a FF body in it, not that I wouldn't like one, but it's just not "fee-sible" right now. That said, I've shot a 5D and 1DsII that I really liked and would easily go to either one of them again, or their successors. I have a 7D that I shoot as a main camera right now. I've really gotten to like it...I pair mine up with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS most of the time, but think with the range you're used to, the 15-85 IS lens seems it would be a great option, and let the 28-135 IS go.

I keep thinking I might also "back pedal" a bit to a 60D from the 7D, but I don't wanna give up the AF and the thumb joystick. Coming from the 9 point from a 5D to the 60D, however, I still believe a 60D would be a step up with the bits of advancement since the 5D came out. I could babble on and on...But in the short, I'd go with a 60D + 15-85 IS, and maybe even find a nice copy of the 70-200 f/2.8L (NON-IS) or 80-200 f/2.8L Magic Drainpipe...

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

Oh, and if you care about noise... crop cams will -at least- set you back one stop compared to FF sensors.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

No worries about 'over and over' and 'it's annoying'. Hopefully, all of the replies to your thread will be friendly. Here's one.

Hi. I've owned a 7D and many xxD cameras (20D, 30D and 40D). IMO, the 5D has excellent IQ. I still have one that I happily use alongside my 1DsIII and 1DIV. I don't know how your 5D was set up, but mine is normally used with centre-point AF and * back button AF. I've owned the 35/2 and still own the 50/1.4. The 5D + 50/1.4 USM autofocus system is fine in most circumstances.

I agree that the 5D doesn't have stellar AF in low light, but that's as much related to the lens as to the camera. The 5D + 50/1.4 is generally OK. I often use AF-assist from an ST-E2 or EX flash to help get focus pegged in low light. That goes for my 5D, as well as 1DsIII and 1DIV. Whatever works...

P.S. ... ''they' always say glass first, but..

'they' are 'us'.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:16 PM
artsupreme
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

Stick with a 5D and get a 135/2 or 70-200 2.8 non IS. Both are amazing combos. Dump the 28-135. You should be fine with the 5D ISO performance and your fast primes. I would not suggest a cropper.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

artsupreme wrote:
Stick with a 5D and get a 135/2 or 70-200 2.8 non IS. Both are amazing combos. Dump the 28-135. You should be fine with the 5D ISO performance and your fast primes. I would not suggest a cropper.

+1

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

I think the 5dMKII on sale for $1999 is a great deal. Stick with some fast primes. I have been shooting lately at 5000 ISO and am surprised at how much I like the results.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ridge hippie

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

I have the T2i and a 70-200 2.8L non IS. I am amazed at the sharpness and quality of the pictures I take. Just my humble opinion.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

If your issue is low light performance, there are several factors you have to consider. I have had a 7d and 5d2 for 2+ years now, and before that I had a 5d classic as well as other bodies including the 1dm2. I've also owned or rented a bunch of glass including the 135/2. I can say from experience (particularly at wedding receptions):

1. the 7d's lowlight AF is definitely faster than the the 5d2 (and 5d classic)
2. even though the 7d is faster to lock on in lowlight, sometimes it misses compared to the slower 5d
3. AF on any f/2.8 zoom lens will outperform your 28-135 or any other consumer lens with max aperture narrower than f/2.8. You also get 4x the shutter speed at same ISO
4. any ring USM lens will be faster focusing than what you have now
5. for nearer subjects, AF assist from a hotshoe mounted flash is a godsend
6. when shooting dance recitals or whatever, the 135/2 is absolutely awesome. the 85/1.8 on a cropper is also very good. The only reason I don't own a 135 is because I use my 70-200/2.8is fro so much, I can't justify tying up the cash

Truthfully, I would suggest renting the 135/2 to see if you like it and if it will do what you want. lensrentals.com has pretty good rates. I would also highly recommend getting a hotshoe flash and diffuser for normal indoor stuff. Even if you disable the flash and just use the infrared AF assist you will be far better off. Using the flash will of course get you more light so you can shoot at ISO 800.

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

ridge hippie wrote:
I have the T2i and a 70-200 2.8L non IS. I am amazed at the sharpness and quality of the pictures I take. Just my humble opinion.

Hi ridge hippie.

Welcome to FM. I'd say more, but my daughter (visiting from college) just told me that the washing machine isn't working, and it smells like something burning...

Running (slowly), Jim...

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:47 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

Logic = only non-1d Canon camera with significantly better high ISO noise than 5D = 5D mark II. 7D/60D/t2i = roughly the same quantity of noise vs image detail ratio as the 5D original, maybe very slightly better.

AF = 7D best non-1D Canon camera.

Best of both worlds = Nikon D700/etc.

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:50 AM
mspringfield
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

What is your price range for new gear?

As you already pointed out conventional wisdom says glass first. For low light and fast AF the 28-135 certainly isn't your friend so for me that would be the first thing to go. A 100 F2 or 135 F2 would be great for low light. Look to 3rd party 2.8's if a zoom is what you are looking for. Tamron's 28-75 and Sigma's 70-200 come to mind. Neither are Canon quality but they are still very good for the price.

If you are looking for fast AF then you really need to look at the 1D series. If full frame is what you are looking for then the 1DsII is a great deal right now. I have no worries pushing mine to ISO 1600 with a good quality lens. The APS-H sensor is a good compromise between the FF and APS-C and the 1DIII prices are very affordable. You can push the 1DIII all the way to ISO 6400 if needed.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM
LR-Radley

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

Thanks for everyone's input

I don't use the 28-135 indoors/low light, or at all for that matter. I just don't really care for it.. it will be going, for sure.

I was considering the 1d's but (and maybe this is dumb) my hands are pretty small, I've never had a grip on a camera before and I guess the size is intimidating to me. My 5d was nice and solid, but did get heavy if I was carrying it around all day.

As far as my budget, right now it's about 1200, hoping w/ tax returns and selling some other stuff I'll have another 1k / 1500.

Still torn and hoping to find a good camera store close where I can try them all out before I buy. As for the glass, I'm leaning toward either 135L or 70-200, just not sure which one yet. Also thinking of the 24-70L or 24-105L..

Dec 29, 2011 at 07:00 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

What you have in your profile is a great outfit. The 5D is a great camera and perhaps you should look at software such as Nik Define to resolve the issue with noise. I have used mine in conditions where I had to go to 3200 asa and not a problem. I do not have an issue with focusing in low light but I do use centre spot only so it really depends on how you have your camera set up.

The 50mm you have is a low light lens so I would try shooting with that indoors. The one I have is a great lens.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:36 PM
garyroach
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · WWYD - Bodies / Lens upgrade

FWIW. Based on your needs and budget, I would sell the 28-135 and buy a 70-200 f/4 IS. If you want to replace your primes, I would go with a 24-105 IS. But, if you like faster lenses (aperture, not auto focus), keep your primes, sell the 28-135 and buy the 135. Then add the 200 f/2.8. But, that's just me.

Dec 30, 2011 at 05:27 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password