New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

WCMTWS

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

Hi, so I just picked up a 50 1.4 and have noticed that when I move the lens (not shake, move..) I feel a slight shift inside the lens itself. The lens has good focus and it's sharp, but is it worth sending back to BH for a replacment? I mean it's not like I go around shaking it but I want to catch it now if it's going to lead to problems down the road.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:13 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

WCMTWS wrote:
Hi, so I just picked up a 50 1.4 and have noticed that when I move the lens (not shake, move..) I feel a slight shift inside the lens itself. The lens has good focus and it's sharp, but is it worth sending back to BH for a replacment? I mean it's not like I go around shaking it but I want to catch it now if it's going to lead to problems down the road.

In the brief time that I owned one, I don't recall it having parts that moved around just "moving" it.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

I've had one for about 7 years now. It's a good one, as most of them probably are. I just picked it up to give it a try. I gave it a gentle shake up and down, and nothing. Then, I held it horizontally, and gave it a bit of a shake. Now, it's sort of like a milkshake tumbler, with ice inside. No worries. As long as it gives you good photos, you're OK.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM
dortizphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

OMG, I just ordered one!

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:54 PM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

OK, Jim. If I'm reading it correctly, that lens on the left says "AUTO SEARS"
and I'm wondering how you came by it and if it is any good.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

All my lenses, including my old EF 50 1.4 USM, rattle slightly when shook. Of course I can only hear them in a very quiet room. I figure the mechanical parts have a bit of play. In the case of the EF 50 1.4 USM, it has a micro-USM and thus requires more mechanical linkage than ring-USM. And, as I recall, is rich in plastic interior parts. And plastic needs a bit more play than metal due to increased expansion/contraction.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:57 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

jcowell; Wow!! I once got tires at Auto Sears or was it Sears Auto; oh well. Quite a collection. I have not heard shaking with my 50 1.4, however, it is a fine lens.

Dec 28, 2011 at 01:01 AM

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

jcolwell wrote:
It's one of my favourites.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/27/603227.jpg

You sir are crazy; in a good way mind you. Whoa, isn't that a familiar old Industar I'm seeing in the bottom right corner? And another breed of it in the upper right? (not sure what that one is, though)

Dec 28, 2011 at 02:29 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

trumpet_guy wrote:
OK, Jim. If I'm reading it correctly, that lens on the left says "AUTO SEARS"
and I'm wondering how you came by it and if it is any good.

I have what looks to be the same lens, mine is labeled Ricoh, and is a Pentax K mount.
I's an ok lens, not as nice as the pantax's.

I really should do a collection shot of my normals.

Dec 28, 2011 at 07:47 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shifting inside of 50 1.4

LightShow wrote:
I have what looks to be the same lens, mine is labeled Ricoh, and is a Pentax K mount.
I's an ok lens, not as nice as the pantax's.

I really should do a collection shot of my normals.

I would shoo my collection of normals with a normal lens...but my only normal is a 50 2.5....so I'm effed. Unless I use a mirror!

Dec 28, 2011 at 08:11 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.