New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · D3 cleaning

brandofamily
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3 cleaning

Any idea how to clean inside the view finder? I have some "stuff" in there that's driving my nuts. It's not on the sensor as it does not show up on photos, the mirrors been cleaned too. I think it's particular from a synthetic turf sports field.
Merry Christmas and Happy New year.

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:18 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3 cleaning

I've had that happen, extremely annoying. Sometimes if you can get the focusing screen out and blow it off (don't touch it if you can avoid it) you can get the dust off. Otherwise you might need to send it in for service.

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:27 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3 cleaning

Jammy Straub wrote:
I've had that happen, extremely annoying. Sometimes if you can get the focusing screen out and blow it off (don't touch it if you can avoid it) you can get the dust off. Otherwise you might need to send it in for service.

+1.
Be prepared to try yourself, but end up taking it to a pro. Knowing that the stuff in the finder doesn't affect the photography in any way allows me to ignore it....unless it's really bad(gigantic).

Dec 25, 2011 at 01:30 PM
chuckbernard

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3 cleaning

It is probably on your focusing screen, as already mentioned above. I've ended up having to buy a new one in the past after trying to clean mine. Definitely don't want to touch it with your fingers. I do use the blower to clean off my new ones. Just remember that the spots are on the opposite side of where you think they will be. I don't remember if left and right are reversed or the front and back... Probably both.

To remove it you need the special tool that comes with new ones. I'd recommend not removing it unless you are going to replace it. You don't want dust inside the pentaprism. If there is dust in there then you will need to find a pro to clean it.

Dec 25, 2011 at 02:48 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3 cleaning

After ~140K I view my "stuff" as a badge of honor....after all, it's my profit machine.

Dec 25, 2011 at 02:58 PM
brandofamily
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3 cleaning

I have a Calumet and Helix close by. I will contact them to see if they can do the cleaning. Or do I need to send it to Nikon? Tough time to do that....

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.