Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Where to report stolen gear?

rolette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where to report stolen gear?

A couple of weeks ago my camera bag was stolen in Houston at a volleyball tournament. I've filed a police report and all of that, but I'm wondering if there are places I can register serial numbers of the stolen lenses so they'll get caught when they pop up for sale.

Do pawn shops automatically check gear with the police department or some other central registry?

I've scanned through e-bay and didn't see any way to register stolen serial numbers.

I've also been searching various auction sites (e-bay, Craig's List in Houston, etc.) in case any of it pops up.

One of the items should be easy to spot if it comes up online somewhere: 300/2.8 II with a RRS foot.

Any other suggestions? Thankfully I've not had to deal with this sort of thing before, so looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Jay

Dec 23, 2011 at 04:22 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where to report stolen gear?

http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/

Dec 23, 2011 at 04:32 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where to report stolen gear?

Won't work for lenses, unfortunately.

Jay - that sucks. In my experience with stolen stuff (not camera gear, thankfully) nobody is really interested in getting it back for you or finding the perpetrators. You can file a claim with the police and if your lens is used as a blunt weapon in an assault ON a police officer, they may figure out you reported it stolen.

I imagine you can notify Canon in case anybody returns one of the items for service.

Dec 23, 2011 at 05:21 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where to report stolen gear?

Thanks guys.

Other than the fact that there shouldn't be many (any?) 300/2.8 II's floating around for sale out there, I wouldn't expect to have any chance at finding it. You are right... the police report is a formality so I could process my insurance claim as far as I can tell.

The lenses were covered by insurance and I got my replacement for the 300 today. I'm more interested in busting the twits that are doing this stuff than anything.

This was at the George Brown Convention Center in Houston. What it looks like is that thieves pay the $5 to get in to tournament events like this and walk around for opportunistic grabs (100's of backpacks in there). They just got a big score on this one instead of some teenage girl's phone and wallet.

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:26 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where to report stolen gear?

Sorry for your loss, Jay. I'll keep my eyes open.

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:33 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where to report stolen gear?

Wow, I am sorry for your loss, too. Out of curiosity, the thief (or thieves) could just waltz in into the area where all the backpacks were stored? Call me paranoid, but I would not leave my bag full of camera gear like that. No offense, and I hope you don't mind me saying that. In addition, I got the feeling that the thieves knew what they were doing and targeted bag/backpacks that are heavy and looked like camera gear stored inside, yours, with other words .

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:50 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where to report stolen gear?

You file a police report. File an insurance claim. Look around local pawn shops. Maybe post on forums.

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:56 PM
woffles
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where to report stolen gear?

See a 300 2.8 but it says non IS on it in Katy TX on craigslist. Selling it with a 1DM2.

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:04 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where to report stolen gear?

jcolwell wrote:
Sorry for your loss, Jay. I'll keep my eyes open.

Thanks, Jim.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:27 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Where to report stolen gear?

AGeoJO wrote:
Wow, I am sorry for your loss, too. Out of curiosity, the thief (or thieves) could just waltz in into the area where all the backpacks were stored? Call me paranoid, but I would not leave my bag full of camera gear like that. No offense, and I hope you don't mind me saying that. In addition, I got the feeling that the thieves knew what they were doing and targeted bag/backpacks that are heavy and looked like camera gear stored inside, yours, with other words .

There is no particular area where backpacks are stored - ie., nothing "secured" or separate. In the convention center, it's pretty much wide open with courts arranged somewhat in a grid with space for a single row of chairs around each court and walkways.

If your team is playing, you generally have your backpack, purse, or other personal belongings either under the chair you are sitting in or behind it. If your team isn't playing, then you are usually standing somewhere (possibly watching other teams playing, otherwise talking and passing the time until next match) and bags tend to be on the floor in front of you.

Parents keep an eye on each others stuff, but these tournaments are (were?) a fairly trusting environment.

In my case, my backpack was leaning against the side of my chair since I was on the end (although in the middle of the court). Usually my butt is on the floor so the bag is right beside me, but in this game I was moving around and shooting from the end of the court.

My mistake leaving my bag without asking one of the other parents to watch it for me.

Insurance covered the lenses that were stolen. Outside of the disappointment that people are "working" tournaments like that, the bigger pain was that my keys were in the bag. Made it fun getting back to Austin after a 2 day tournament. /bleck

So yeah, I strongly suspect you are right. The Houston convention center isn't in one of the nicer parts of town and it is pretty easy pickings. Backpacks and purses on the floor everywhere with everyone watching their daughters' games pretty intently.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:48 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Where to report stolen gear?

RobertLynn wrote:
You file a police report. File an insurance claim. Look around local pawn shops. Maybe post on forums.

Pretty much where I'm at other than not being able to personally cruise the pawn shops.

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:50 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Where to report stolen gear?

woffles wrote:
See a 300 2.8 but it says non IS on it in Katy TX on craigslist. Selling it with a 1DM2.

Yep, saw that yesterday. My heart jumped briefly until I saw the non-IS bit on it. Luckily for me I had my camera and my main lens on me when the bag was stolen, so no bodies with the lens unless they are bundling goods (entirely possible).

I appreciate you looking and giving me a heads up!

Dec 24, 2011 at 08:52 AM
campyone
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Where to report stolen gear?

There's a stolen camera gear registry at http://photo.net/neighbor/registry/

Dec 24, 2011 at 09:25 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Where to report stolen gear?

Call canon and report all of your serial numbers. If any of your gear shows up they'll pull it an notify you.

Dec 24, 2011 at 09:33 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Where to report stolen gear?

campyone wrote:
There's a stolen camera gear registry at http://photo.net/neighbor/registry/

Hadn't seen that one before, thanks! Added my lenses to the registry.

Dec 24, 2011 at 09:40 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Where to report stolen gear?

big country wrote:
Call canon and report all of your serial numbers. If any of your gear shows up they'll pull it an notify you.

Good idea, even if it should be years before that would happen. Any idea where in Canon to report that? Normal product support? CPS (not a member)?

Dec 24, 2011 at 09:47 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Where to report stolen gear?

AGeoJO wrote:

rolette wrote:
There is no particular area where backpacks are stored - ie., nothing "secured" or separate. In the convention center, it's pretty much wide open with courts arranged somewhat in a grid with space for a single row of chairs around each court and walkways.

If your team is playing, you generally have your backpack, purse, or other personal belongings either under the chair you are sitting in or behind it. If your team isn't playing, then you are usually standing somewhere (possibly watching other teams playing, otherwise talking and passing the time until next match) and bags tend to be on
...Show more

Jay,
Aaah, I understand your situation there better now. It wasn't quite clear from your original post. Thankfully, your gear is insured. Again, I hope that they catch those "bastards".

Joshua

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM
JimboCin
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Where to report stolen gear?

As an "after-the-fact" learning for all of us, I wonder what others do to try to prevent this from happening.

Beyond asking someone to keep an eye on your stuff, I have used a screw-locking carabiner like this one to connect my bag to a chair or something. It obviously will not prevent theft, but it will increase the time it takes a thief and perhaps will make them look elsewhere.

I currently am using Think Tank bags with a security cable and combination locks.

With both methods, I also carry a small but sturdy padlock to lock up the case.

Bright yellow or orange Pelican cases could be another option, but this would not be for me.

I would be interested in knowing what others do.

Jim

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Where to report stolen gear?

rolette wrote:
Pretty much where I'm at other than not being able to personally cruise the pawn shops.

That's the thing that blows, it's sad that this is the truth, but I've had friends who've had high end guitars stolen. They've called the pawn shops and let them know to be on the look out.

So about 2-3 weeks after, he stops into the pawn shop. What's he see? His old PRS CE24 (the one that sticks out from memory, but there were 2-3 others too).

He was able to claim them, but still...even after telling the shop to look out for them.

I hope you either get replacement gear from your insurance (if you don't have them insured specifically, check and see how much valuables coverage you've got on your home owners...you may find out you've got some coverage.

Dec 25, 2011 at 10:39 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Where to report stolen gear?

They were insured specifically. The 300/2.8 has been replaced, but I'm going to hold off for a couple of weeks before I replace the 24-70 to see if the rumored announcement is happening in January.

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:22 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.