Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Bob-O-Matic
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Thanks Everyone!
I still haven't made my final decision.

First I need to say that my line up is a 35 1.4L, 50 1.4 Zeiss (I may sell to get autofocus in this range), 70-200 f4, 100 2.8 macro, I also have a 17-40L for my 40D, obviously I can put on my 5D once in a while.

I am between the Canon 16-35 2.8 or the Zeiss 21mm.

I am afraid that if I get the Canon I will be lazy and not want to switch to my 35 1.4 or 50mm?

No I am not considering the TS-E just too much money, considering I am not making money at this!
Thanks again
I'll let you know my decision.
Bob I am between the Canon 16-35 2.8 or the Zeiss 21mm.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM
dshipley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

84FJ60 wrote:
I know of several Canon shooters who swear by the Nikon 14-24 with a Nikon to Canon adapter...

David - a Colorado Nikonian

I shoot both systems and use the 14-24 all the time on both my D3 and 5D2. Excellent lens.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:58 AM
faremax
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Zeiss 21, Canon 17TSE or Canon 24TSE are all superb lenses. Can't go wrong with any of them for landscape.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:44 AM
mstout
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Several good choices, though the zeiss as far as I can see is not much cheaper than the TSE II. I have been using the version I for a few years, plenty sharp for prints up to 16". The CA can be irritating to deal with, esp when shifted much. Am saving for version II now but also waiting with interest to see the new samyang 24/1.4. The 35 seems to get a lot of love and is a screaming bargain. good luck on an impossible choice.
michael

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I have both the 16-35 and the Zeiss 21mm..... I always go for the Zeiss unless the FL doesn't work. The 16-35 is nice, but the Zeiss is pretty much sharp across the whole frame.

-Tim

Bob-O-Matic wrote:
Thanks Everyone!
I still haven't made my final decision.

First I need to say that my line up is a 35 1.4L, 50 1.4 Zeiss (I may sell to get autofocus in this range), 70-200 f4, 100 2.8 macro, I also have a 17-40L for my 40D, obviously I can put on my 5D once in a while.

I am afraid that if I get the Canon I will be lazy and not want to switch to my 35 1.4 or 50mm?

No I am not considering the TS-E just too much money, considering
...Show more

Dec 29, 2011 at 01:02 PM
DBotting

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I have owned the ZE 21mm f2.8 and the TSE 24mm f3.5 II. To be honest I was shocked at how bad the distortion was on the Zeiss. It is sharp of course and the colour is good but Iwonder if perhaps it's reputation was gained against lower competition in a different era. Fwiw I think the Zeiss is overrated by modern standards.

Once I owned the Canon and realised how good it was in so many departments I sold the Zeiss and have never regretted it.

Dec 29, 2011 at 06:45 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Bob, for what you are describing, the correct lens simply is the 24 tse II. Not only is it the best lens at 24mm, the tilt and shift is extremely useful for architecture, and its about 350 more than the zeiss right now.
Many people swear by the zeiss. it has the microcontrast. is has the mustache distortion. focused to infinite and stopped down to f8-f11, it is supposed to be sharp corner to corner. its wide open performance in the corners however is not quite as good as the canon tse lenses or the 24 1.4 II @ 2.8.
I own the 16-35II, and having owned many ultrawides (17-40, 16-35, 16-35II, Nikon 14-24, samyang 14, sigma 12-24, canon tse 24 II, canon 15 fe) I still find the 16-35 II, on balance to be the best option for me for ultrawide landscape, b/c of zoom versatility, very good image quality at f11 (which is where I shoot my landscape), good flare resistance, good distortion numbers over all, very good color and contrast.

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:55 AM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Bob-O-Matic wrote

Contax N 17-35?

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:17 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

As I've said a number of times, I support Kevin in his views. I've appreciated his detailed comparisons of some of these lenses.

I find the 16-35L II to be my most useful wide angle with excellent IQ. If I could have only one UWA lens, this would be the one.

The ZE 21 has slightly better IQ, but also severe moustache distortion and curvature/falloff. Then there is the fixed focal length.

The 24 TS-E II is my second choice, with IQ equal to or better than the ZE 21, with the huge bonus of large image circle (think of the sweet spot of a FF lens on APS-C) and the perspective and tilt movements -- same goes for the 17 TS-E. A fixed focal length, yes, but with so many assests.

After that, the Samyang 14 and Canon 15FE -- both have outstanding IQ.

I think the only one that Kevin has used that I haven't is the Nikon 14-24 (oh, and the Sigma 12-24 -- still thinking about that one!). I have no interest trying to rig that Nikon beast up to a Canon, even though it has glowing reports for IQ. I'm happy enough with the 16-35L II.

Then, there is the old tried and true 24/1.4L II (I've not owned) that always seems to get rave reviews. And the new ZE 25/2 is about out and possibly as good or better than the ZE 21. And soon the Samyang 24/1.4 is supposed to be released at a bargain price.

Have I missed anything important? Probably -- this is a wide area with lots of range for opinions.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Gunzorro wrote:
Have I missed anything important? Probably -- this is a wide area with lots of range for opinions.

Yes, and everyone else has too: the Tokina 16-28 f2.8

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:30 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Don Clary wrote:
..I've changed and now use an old Olympus Zuiko 21mm f3.5 and a C/Y Zeiss 28 f2.8....

I've got this same combo and its fantastic.

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:37 PM
gavin_emmons
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I went through a similar process of searching for an alternative to the 24-105mm lens at the wide end... I love the 24-105 and still use it very frequently, but have since acquired the Zeiss 21mm ZE and the Canon 24mm TSE II lenses. Both are remarkably sharp, but I more often reach for the 24mm TSE II before the Zeiss. To my eye - and in my lens copies - the TSE lens is sharper in the corners, and the tilt / shift possibilities are amazing for landscape photography.

By the way, I have also used the Olypmus Zuiko 21mm and 24mm lenses. My copies are sharp in the middle but definitely softer in the corners... But on the plus side they are less expensive, and are amazingly lightweight.

All in all, I would push for the 24mm TSE II lens. It is expensive, but it is the best lens at this focal length I've ever used.

Dec 30, 2011 at 02:30 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I would imagine that distortion and vignetting are as critical as sharpness. The lens compare tool at TDP can help here. It can't show color rendering of course. Here is a compare between the 17-40 and the 24-105 at 24. Since you own them I suggest you try the 17-40 before spending money. 24 is the 24-105's worst FL and the 17-40 is better here. By 28 or 35 the situation has reversed. You'll have to spend lots to get a little better IMHO so then its worth adding TSE.

Dec 30, 2011 at 03:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.