Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Bob-O-Matic

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I shot a lot of landscape and some buildings.I seem to like the focal length of 24mm the best .I have pretty much ruled out the 24 2.8 Canon.I currently own the 24-105 f4 and it is decent but I would like something better.

I am trying to find a used lens that is affordable? I know that the 24 1.4 II is a great lens and I am leaning towards that. The TS-E 24 3.5 II is just too much money for me! I am also looking at some manual focus lenses like Zeiss and the Contax Zeiss thinking that auto focus is not as important for wide stuff. I am also considering the 24-70 2.8 Canon.

This has been a tough decision I appreciate your help!

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:05 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Edited on Dec 04, 2012 at 06:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:08 PM
gwaww
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I know I will get shot down for this, but I use the Sigma 24 1.8 On my 5D. It has been very good for me and I love the short minimum focusing distance.

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:11 PM
joakim
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I would say that both the Zeiss ZE 21/2.8 and the Canon 24/3.5 TS are both excellent choices, I don't know about the Canon 24/1.4 since I haven't used it. The Zeiss 25/2 that abqnmusa mentions looks really interesting as well but it isn't out yet.

I'm not sure what the 24-70 would give you that you don't already have with the 24-105 when it comes to landscape photography and if you're considering a zoom then both the 17-40 and 16-35 from Canon should be decent options.

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:19 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Shame you can't save up for the TS-E 24mm II.....if 24 is what you are looking for and you do some buildings, then nothing probably comes close. There's good deals on that lens right now, but it's still a fortune. Both the Zeiss 21mm and 25mm are in the same ballpark cost wise.

Dec 23, 2011 at 07:51 PM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

if you've already got a 24-105, how about a 17-40?

Dec 23, 2011 at 07:54 PM
eosuser2020
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

+1 for Zeiss ZE 21/2.8

Dec 23, 2011 at 07:59 PM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I know of several Canon shooters who swear by the Nikon 14-24 with a Nikon to Canon adapter...

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I have both the Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8 ZE and Canon TS-E 24/3.5L II. You might get a used ZE or C/Y Distagon for a few hundred bucks less than a TS-E II, but the perspective control offered by the TS-E II is the best going for shooting buildings. I also have an EF 24/2.8, it's a peach. Don't sell it short. Sharper and less distortion than the 24-105L, which I also have.

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:10 PM
Bob-O-Matic

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Thanks for all of your input!
I actually do already have a 17-40 and love it.

I also have the Canon 35 1.4
I really should have given this piece of the puzzle.

What I am looking for is the color and contrast that I get from the 35mm
except in a wide angle.
I think it is interesting that someone mentioned how much they love their Canon 24 2.8

I am still trying to decide?

Has anyone had experience with the Contax 25 2.8 T ?

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

i suggest the Zeiss 21/2.8. a very fine piece of glass.

grant

Dec 23, 2011 at 09:24 PM
miataroy
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I have owned the Canon 16-35mm 1, Canon 14mm II, Zeiss 21mm and the Nikon 14-24mm.. the Nikon 14-24 is by far the sharpest piece of glass..though it is prone to flair

If a single focal length is ok .. the Zeiss is stunning
If a zoom is your preference then the Nikon.. though along with flair there is the manual diaphragm thing as well as no auto focus .. regardless the lens is my favorite

Dec 24, 2011 at 02:40 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

miataroy wrote:
the Nikon 14-24 is by far the sharpest piece of glass..though it is prone to flair

If you can find a good copy... otherwise it's about on par with the Canon 16-35 f2.8L II. Neither lens is in the same league as the Zeiss 21mm f2.8.

Dec 24, 2011 at 03:54 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Bob-O-Matic wrote:
Thanks for all of your input!
I actually do already have a 17-40 and love it.

I also have the Canon 35 1.4
I really should have given this piece of the puzzle.

What I am looking for is the color and contrast that I get from the 35mm
except in a wide angle.
I think it is interesting that someone mentioned how much they love their Canon 24 2.8

I am still trying to decide?

Has anyone had experience with the Contax 25 2.8 T ?

I quickly sold my 24mm 2.8 after I got a Tamron 17-50 (this was back on APS-C). I quickly sold my 24-105 on FF, week after I got it. Got a 24 1.4 II, soooo much better at 24mm, yes, even stopped down to f/10 still so much better.

For what you mention the 24 T&S II really probably would be the best of all, especially with talking about shooting buildings and all. Sometimes I eye one myself.
Otherwise I guess it is the 24 1.4 II or the zeiss 21 2.8 if you can handle that extra width.

Dec 24, 2011 at 03:59 AM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I had the Canon 24 f2.8 and thought it was quite acceptable. I've changed and now use an old Olympus Zuiko 21mm f3.5 and a C/Y Zeiss 28 f2.8. Both are very affordable relative to present Zeiss ZE. Here is an overall scene inside Moscow Kremlin with handheld C/Y Zeiss 28 f2.8, and 100% crop of same picture.

Zeiss 28mm f2.8

100% crop

Dec 24, 2011 at 07:06 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Please note in the overall scene, you can't see the supporting wires of the distant gold cupola, but in the crop, you can see the loops and the wire sections between the loops.

Dec 24, 2011 at 07:11 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Lots of good suggestions here. I have the Canon 24L and the Zeiss 21mm and really like them both. I really want the 24 TSE, for architecture, I would recommend that one. The new Zeiss 25mm f/2 would also be a great choice. I think all of those are great lenses.

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:17 PM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

Zeiss 21 or Canon 24 II TS-E

Dec 25, 2011 at 08:26 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

I've got a Canon 24 TS-E II and I'm constantly blown away by the IQ of that lens. The contrast and colors are amazing as well as the sharpness. The fact that it has the tilt shift feature is a big, added, useful bonus. I've got a lot of nice glass, but the 24 TS-E is my favorite.

Dec 25, 2011 at 03:03 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best wide angle lens for 5D MKII Zeiss, Canon, Contax ect..

The Zeiss ZE 21/2,8 is the best you can buy with Canon mount. Both the new 17 & 24 TS-E are great lenses if you like to have tilt/shift.
Lloyd Chambers just tested the new Zeiss ZE 25/2 (canon mount) against the Canon 24/1,4 II. It's a test for paying subscribers http://www.diglloyd.com/prem/prot/ZF/publish/25f2Distagon-vs-Canon24f1_4L_II-woods.html

but here is the conclusions from two tests:
Conclusions 1
Both lenses are excellent, and its not so easy to show that one is better than the other here, given the different zone of sharpness for each (field curvature). However, on average, it does seem that the Zeiss 25mm /2 Distagon is better corrected for color and this lends itself to a more stable feel to the image towards the edges and corners.

Consider the results at /2. Here, both have their merits. I personally find the Zeiss at /2 as quite attractive in the wonderful combination of its sharpness and contrast and vignetting. The Canon 24/1.4L II eliminates most of its vignetting by /2, so one would have to add it in artificially, or use /1.4, which is somewhat lower in contrast. Still, many users disklike vignetting (it makes for easy complaining), and such users will appreciate the more even field illumination of the Canon 24/1.4L II at /2.

Conclusion 2
Its a bit of a risk to claim that one lens is definitively superior here depending on where one looks, the conclusions can go either way. However, the Zeiss 25/2 Distagon does seem to control chromatic aberrations a little better, and to my eye this produces a bit more solid look than the Canon 24/1.4L II.

A very minor focus error with either lens would obliterate the distinctions, and this is a modern-day fact with high resolution DSLRs: focus errors are usually more important than minor lens differences. See Making Sharp Images.

One more stop of lens speed as well as autofocus are strong points for the Canon 24mm /1.4L II, as well as its reduced vignetting at /2 (if that is ones preference, it is not mine).

The focal length difference is modest, yet I find that in the field a 25mm lens is slightly preferable; for one thing a 25mm gives a bit more differentiation from a 21mm. The Zeiss 25mm /2 is shown as 25mm in its data sheet, but it might actually be slightly longer. Its a minor point, but worth considering when one intends to carry multiple wide angle lenses.

Both lenses are priced similarly (with the Zeiss slightly more costly), so the choice between these two lenses can also be directed in terms of price, and autofocus and the stop-brighter speed of the Canon, which for some users might together be compelling. However, the Canon lens is not in the same league in terms of build quality (plastic vs metal). In short, they both have their place, depending on intended usage.

Dec 25, 2011 at 03:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password