New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

Fjellfalck
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

Hi

I just ordered the universal leveling base from RRS: TA-U-LC It is not only a leveling base. It is an alternative very sturdy head on my light small tripods. Load capasity 35 pound for the head.

Good work RRS!

Fjellfalck

Dec 22, 2011 at 06:00 PM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

You don't get that much movement though do you?

Dec 26, 2011 at 07:36 AM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

Beni wrote:
You don't get that much movement though do you?

Nope, but normally enough for landscapes: 15% up or down tilt + 360 degrees.

Really Right Stuff Universal Leveling Clamp

Fjellfalck

Dec 26, 2011 at 08:27 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

It works well----lower center of gravity over the tripod legs. I did something similar with a leveling base and the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp. I'll probably do something similar for my RRS TVC-24 tripod for panos.

(Pretty wood tripod!)

ken

Dec 26, 2011 at 09:10 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

The Really Right Stuff TA-U-LC leveling base is really meant to be a leveling base only, and has a lot of limitations compared to a ball head. The range of movement is quite limited, and the locking and un locking of that movement is not as fast or easy as a ball head. There is no pan base available for panoramas, which most good ball heads have. And there is no variable friction mode that allows smooth movement but stay in place friction to aid in framing the shot. There is no side slot to allow the camera to be tilted over in to, so you would need an L plate on the camera to get 90 degree orientation change. And the mention of lower center of gravity is not really true for this model of leveling head compared to a low profile ball head design like the Really Right Stuff models. Leveling heads that mount into the apex of the tripod to give a lower center of gravity, but this model mounts with a 3/8 screw and the whole leveling system is above the top of the tripod.

For me I think that the cost of this leveling base would be better applied toward a good ball head instead. Adding a nice leveling base later is always an option, but it does not take that much time to level a tripod if you need a level setup for your pan base.

Dec 26, 2011 at 10:06 AM
Fjellfalck
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

Roland W wrote:
The Really Right Stuff TA-U-LC leveling base is really meant to be a leveling base only, and has a lot of limitations compared to a ball head. The range of movement is quite limited, and the locking and un locking of that movement is not as fast or easy as a ball head. There is no pan base available for panoramas, which most good ball heads have. And there is no variable friction mode that allows smooth movement but stay in place friction to aid in framing the shot. There is no side slot to allow the camera to
...Show more

yes it is a leveling base - and a good one. However, I think it is useful as a separate - very sturdy - head for landscapes too - just as an additional use.. I have not used it as a separate head yet - and by the way - I own all the other RRS heads too. But I think I will try this as a separate light weight head on my mini tripod - just for some landscape work. I'm sure It will work!

Fjellfalck

Dec 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS TA-U-LC as a general light weight head

but it's not light ... 407g v 221g for the 25 with lever clamp, plus the size means it won't fit with my Gitzo Traveller in the Traveller bag

Shame really

Dec 26, 2011 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.