New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 5DMK2 Question

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DMK2 Question

Im wondering how well the Canon 5DMKII will hold it's value once the 1DX is released? I realize the 1DX is a pro body format, and won't truly be a direct replacement for the 5DMKII, but I'm considering doing a gear swap, Nikon >Canon because I'm tired of waiting for the Nikon equivilent in pixels, but I'd feel better about it if I felt I'd still get a good return on it if I upgrade to the 1DX later....

Thoughts?

Also, my conservative estimate on the value of my D700 kit with lenses and flashes, etc, is around $5200. If I were to have that amount on hand, assuming I'd get a good quality 5DMKII, what lenses would you recommend? The only lens I'm sure about is the Canon 100mm Macro. Obviously, I'd like at least one flash (I currently have three), but any suggestions would be appreciated...I do mostly still life and landscapes, with an eye towards longer glass in the future...

Greg

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:03 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DMK2 Question

I'd say 5D2 values are more dependent on a 5D3 than a 1DX release. Aren't 5D2s going for ~$2k? and 5D1s for about $1k? With a $2500 release price you have three points to estimate a depreciation rate. Digital bodies are not good investments, they are capital equipment. Get what you need and enjoy it as long as possible.

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:13 PM
pegger

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DMK2 Question

17-40 for your landscape shots around 700$

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DMK2 Question

For landscape go for either the 17mm TS-E or 24mm TS-E Mark II or better yet, both. Not only they are awesome performers but they also represent something that Nikon doesn't have in their line-up, at least the 17mm.

Dec 22, 2011 at 03:27 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DMK2 Question

Thanks for the replies. Perhaps the 17-40 together me going and a TSE later on...

Greg

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:24 PM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DMK2 Question

Hi Greg, with the 5D2 going for around $2000 now I don't think you could go wrong in getting one. You wouldn't really lose that much and of course you could always keep it as a back up. I'm not super crazy about the 17-40L, I don't use mine much. It's OK but maybe I'm spoiled by using lots of primes.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:41 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DMK2 Question

When the 5D2 came out, used 5D prices took a big nose drive as everyone was dumping their 5D to help pay for a 5D2. Oddly, after a year or so, 5D prices drifted up a bit and stabilized around $1000. I expect the used 5D2 market to behave in a similar manner. Anyone whom bought a 5D2 a few months before the 5D3 debut will take a huge hit if they try to sell as they won't get much of a premium over a good condition 5D2 a couple years old.

I agree with Jeff, DSLRs are a poor investment and depreciate rapidly. Their value lies solely in the enjoyment and/or income they generate for you.

I don't care much for my 17-40 as I find 17mm too wide most of the time and 40 too short. I found I used it mainly from 24-40 so the 24-105L worked better for me.

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:46 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DMK2 Question

Thanks Benny. I have mostly primes as well, but I'm not sure how that would translate cost wise with the Canon line up. Currently I have a 24 2.8, a 28 2.8 ais, a 50 1.4, a 105 2.8 Micro (my favorite lens) and a 28-300 zoom. My brother has the 5DMKII and a good selection of lenses, so I suppose he could help define my must-haves, and I can forgo a flash for a while. Thanks for the input on the the 17-40...

Like I said, I use the 105 the most as its an awesome macro/portrait lens and I hear the Canon 100 is in the same league....

Greg

Dec 22, 2011 at 04:49 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DMK2 Question

Shame you're not in the UK - I'm in the market for a D700 + glass

Dec 23, 2011 at 07:42 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.