New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Sterlingtek?

Tom K.
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sterlingtek?

When I first purchased my 5D classic a few years ago......I bought a spare battery at Sterlingtek. That battery still works perfectly today.

Question: Has anyone here purchased the battery at the following link from Sterlingtek for their 5D Mark II? If so....did it work out well?

http://sterlingtek.com/lp66-canon-lp-e6-battery.html

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:44 PM
vilimo
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sterlingtek?

Bought 1 from amazon for my 7D and it is working fine.

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:10 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sterlingtek?

I bought a Sterlingtek for my 5D2 and it works okay, but doesn't hold a charge nearly as long as the original battery. So it serves as a backup. The two 511 I bought for my 5D lasted longer than the original battery so maybe quality has slipped a bit.

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:16 PM
Strid3r
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sterlingtek?

^^^
That is surprising. I've only ever heard good things about their batteries. I know my experiences with the XT and 50D I have seen double the battery life it seemed.

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sterlingtek?

Tom K. wrote:
When I first purchased my 5D classic a few years ago......I bought a spare battery at Sterlingtek. That battery still works perfectly today.

Question: Has anyone here purchased the battery at the following link from Sterlingtek for their 5D Mark II? If so....did it work out well?

http://sterlingtek.com/lp66-canon-lp-e6-battery.html

I bought several of their 5D batteries back when my 5D was my primary camera. The 5D batteries worked great. Based on that experience I recommended their batteries for the original 5D, would buy 5D batteries from them again.

With that in mind I more recently ordered a pair of their 5D2 batteries.

I ended up being tremendously disappointed, and I would not order 5D Mark II replacement batteries from them or any other third again. You'll have to decide whether or not my situation is part of a pattern or an isolated circumstance, but here is what happened. When the first two batteries arrived, one (let's call it "battery A") was DOA - when I tried to charge it the indicator light simply blinked but the battery never charged. The other ("battery B") appeared to charge correctly, but more on that in a moment.

I contacted Sterlingtek and, to their credit, they quickly shipped me a replacement ("battery C") for battery B. Unfortunately, it had the same problem as "battery A," so it was unusable. At this point I figured that I wasn't going to have much more luck by doing yet another replacement, so I just decided that if I ended up with one working battery ("battery B") it would be worth the cost.

So, at this point, I figured I had gotten one good battery out of three.

I was wrong.

At this point I had only put battery B in a charger, but I had not actually used it. Soon, I had an opportunity to make use of the battery. It died after about 100 shots. A regular Canon stock version of this battery can get you through many hundreds - perhaps up to 1000 - regular shots and can do several hundred even in live view mode.

Final tally:

battery A: broken and useless
battery B: barely holds a charge, so nearly useless
battery C: broken and useless

I would not purchase another third-party battery for the 5D2 at this point. The small potential savings is not worth the aggravation and the unreliable batteries.

YMMV.

Dan

Dec 22, 2011 at 01:37 PM
bobsofpa
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sterlingtek?

I bought a 3rd party battery on ebay for my 7D when it first came out (fully compatible batteries were hard to find then and Canon's were $100+). It is still working today as a spare for both my 7D and 5DII. When it is in one of the cameras I do not notice any difference. If you asked me which battery was in the camera, I would have to take it out and look.

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:38 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sterlingtek?

Strid3r wrote:
^^^
That is surprising. I've only ever heard good things about their batteries. I know my experiences with the XT and 50D I have seen double the battery life it seemed.

There a dozen threads about Sterlingtek at FM. Although some people like them, there are also negative experiences, including mine. Mostly they died in a year or so. I can understand buying some as extras or for amateur video, but not if my money depended on them.

EBH

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:55 PM
Donald Blue
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sterlingtek?

I just recently got two from sterlingtek for my 7D. I put each one in the charger and it blinked for about a minute and turned green like they were fully charged. One of them I got 137 shots and the battery went dead...the other I got 76 shots and it had less than 50% charge left. The one that went dead I put it in the charger and it took about the same time as the Canon battery to reach fully charged and the other took awhile to fully charge also. I haven't had a chance to shoot with them again but I have my doubts that they will last as long as the Canon battery. I will keep them as backups but the next batteries I buy will be Canon.

Dec 22, 2011 at 06:23 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sterlingtek?

Whoa! Not what I expected to hear. Thanks for the input folks.

Dec 22, 2011 at 07:48 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sterlingtek?

We currently have 3 Canon LP-E6 batteries and 6 Sterlingtek which were bought in 3 different purchases. The are all flawless in our 5D2's and 7D's and meet or exceed Canon OEM specs. Sterlingtek did have a batch or two of bad batteries which they freely admitted and rapidly replaced. We have never had any issues.

Dave

Dec 22, 2011 at 08:14 PM
Chris S.
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sterlingtek?

I've been using a mixture of Sterlingtek and Nikon brand batteries for years in D200 and D700 bodies. I've never noticed much difference, except in price.

Also used both Sterlingtek and Panasonic brand batteries in my Lumix LX3, during the couple of years I had that camera. Again, not much difference. I was quite disappointed, when I moved to the Lumix LX5, that Panasonic had changed the design to require a battery that incorporated a chip, apparently for the purpose of forcing people to purchase Panasonic branded ones. At that time, at least, Sterlingtek did not produce a battery for the LX5, and I still feel stung to have paid for a Panasonic-branded battery that cost 1/8 the price of the entire camera (with battery included).

My dad and a few friends have long been using Sterlingteks on my recommendation. No problems that I know of.

--Chris

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:15 PM
lionken07
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sterlingtek?

For the price they are very good batteries. Mine works great and almost as good as the OEM ones.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:51 PM
robstein
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sterlingtek?

What is the deal with the chipped OEM's now? Do the generics all have a cloned serial nbr? If so does that cause any issues?

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:55 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sterlingtek?

If the Canon battery in the 7D is the same as the 5D2 (I believe it is) 2 of them will get me easy 2500 clicks with room to go.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:59 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sterlingtek?

Hmmmmm.......a mixed verdict. Interesting.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:28 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sterlingtek?

RobertLynn wrote:
If the Canon battery in the 7D is the same as the 5D2 (I believe it is) 2 of them will get me easy 2500 clicks with room to go.

Yes, that is the LP-E6.

EBH

Dec 23, 2011 at 02:53 AM
vince_ross

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sterlingtek?

I have several of the sterling tek batteries for my old 20D (several years old) and they still function as they did from day one. I just bought an LP-E6 for my 5DII, so we'll see if they meet or exceed the Canon battery (hopefully exceeds).

Dec 23, 2011 at 09:43 AM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sterlingtek?

I ordered one. We shall see how it works out.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.