New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · The FM Nikon Miscellaneous Musings Thread

ausemmao
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The FM Nikon Miscellaneous Musings Thread

On a few of the other forums I frequent, there is a miscellaneous thread - for posts or comments that are related to the main theme of the board, but perhaps not meriting a dedicated thread. I didn't see one here so wasn't sure whether it was because noone had started one, or someone had tried and it died a death. I get the feeling there might be though, especially from the Manual Focus thread - the combination of pictures, gear stuff, and random bits from people's lives gives it a nice atmosphere.

The idea for it was prompted by a realisation - I don't like using my 'standard zoom' anymore. Not because I don't use the focal lengths, but because it just feels unnecessarily large and a bit clumsy, not helped by it being larger than a 35 and 50 stacked or even a 50 and 85. If Nikon came out with a 17/2 or 2.8 and a 24 1.8 for DX (the 24 1.4 is sweet but too big for my liking - it's essentially the same size as the 24mm PC-E, and I'd rather carry the PC-E) I wouldn't need the zoom anymore. I don't shoot to a deadline or in volume in those FLs, so the speed convenience isn't there. I used to think prime only shooters were unnecessarily doctrinaire. I'm beginning to see where they're coming from though I'll never give up the 70-200!

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The FM Nikon Miscellaneous Musings Thread

There is, actually, such a thread here on FM. It's called Forum and Miscellaneous. Lotsa disparate stuff there.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The FM Nikon Miscellaneous Musings Thread

I'd also observe that this particular question about zooms versus primes addressed from the perspective of size has been discussed frequently on dedicated threads. There is no reason you're observations wouldn't warrant its own thread rather than a catchall thread that won't likely gain traction. Threads that work generally have a focus that keeps folks coming back. And yes, the Forum and Miscellaneous forum is a great place for random thoughts and questions. I visit each day simply to see what the natives are up to. You might want to check it out.

Forums and Miscellaneous

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.