Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

Rune
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

I have a 5DII (and a 7D if that is easier..) and I have some trouble getting started with video. I am really not that interested in video, but my boss at work has asked me to film some of our projects, and in persuit of doing an respectable effort, I have started exploring the video options in my cameras.

I understand it is a lot of issues that needs to be adressed to make "professional" videos, but my idea was to make a thread to help us getting started with the basics at least.

I have a good selection of lenses, and sturdy tripods. I have various heads, ballheads, 3-way heads and I even bought myself a Manfrotto videohead.
(I even have an IGUS slider from another project, I thought I could adapt that one for some horisontal sliding..)

But so far, all my videos are suffering from "flickering", or they don't seem to be "smooth" and soft when panning.

Are you using Av, Tv, or M? As I understand, with a 25fps video, the optimal then are a shutterspeed of 1/50? So, Tv=1/50, and the camera governs the aperture and ISO?

I have watched some of Vincent Laforet's videos, and he is taking advantage of the fast apertures in many EF lenses, but how?

Is M the best setting, Tv=1/50, Av=1.4 (f.ex), and AutoISO?

I have also searched for info on this on various sites, f.ex. cinema5d.com, but I don't seem to find the answers I am looking for...

Any tips and help are grately appreciated!

Best regards,
Rune

Dec 21, 2011 at 01:28 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

It's harder to find good solid information on video I found. I'm just getting into video myself but from what I've found, I shoot video in M. shutter speed as a multiple of the fps of the video where possible.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:57 PM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

also your gear seems fine, I'd consider adding an lcd viewfinder if you're going to be outside particularly, I use an lcdvf but there's ups and downs to them all. Also if you're moving from place to place you may want a rig of some sort, that's a whole new kettle of fish though so tackle that separately. Another thing you may need to consider is audio gear, even a basic hotshoe mic will improve the quality a lot

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:59 PM
Sandeep Sajeev

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

Hello,

Shooting HD Video on the 5DM2/7D/60D/600D/550D is best done in full Manual Mode.

The Frame Rate will depend on your market, and the resolution you want to shoot in.
1920x1080 will let you shoot 25fps/29.97 fps, and 1280x720 will let you shoot 50fps/60fps (for slowmotion shots).

Panning should be avoided as much as possible, as the sensors in these cameras don't handle pans well at all - If you do a quick search for 'Rolling Shutter' you'll see why it happens and how it can (occasionally) be fixed/limited.

You should also look into 'Picture Profiles' that have been specifically designed for shooting video on these cameras. Technicolor Cinestyle is one such profile, but there are a host of others as well.

To get the best looking video you'll need to pay attention to your Post Production Workflow as well. Don't edit the H.264 files that come off the memory card, encode them to ProRes (Apple/Adobe) or DNxHD (Avid). Edit, Color Grade and Sharpen (if necessary) using these files.

Hope that helps get you started,

Sandeep.

Dec 30, 2011 at 08:10 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

Her is what I have found works pretty well. There will be other thoughts too:

Manual
Highlight Tone Priority - OFF
Auto Lighting Optimizer - OFF
Exposure Simulation - OFF
Neutral picture style low contrast -2 or -3
ISO 160 - 320 - 640 - 1280
Shutter 1/30 - 1/50 - 1/60
Pan ssslllooowwwlllyyy to avoid jello effect

Dec 30, 2011 at 08:20 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

We use the 5D2 commercially - just stepping out for a shoot today that will include it.

As Micky said above, although we tend to stick to 1/50 unless lighting dictates otherwise. If you have fluorescent lights the you will need to adjust you shutter to avoid the flicker.

Always manual.....

ISO up to 2500 is usable with care and a touch of Neat Video filter.

Panning is no problem as long as you pan at rational speeds (no fast whip pans!). We pan on almost all projects and never see Jello, but it seems most amateurs see this all the time. Just pan more slowly!

We used to transcode the files for editing in FCP but now edit everything natively in Premiere Pro with no problems at all. Editing the native H.264 files is just as good as transcoding IF your NLE is up to it. If not then you NEED to transcode.

Sorry.... got to run.....

Dec 30, 2011 at 09:00 AM
JakobT

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

There is a HUGE amount of resources out there. To get you started I would recommend:

A good introduction
http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/11/introduction-to-dslr-cameras

and download this
http://nofilmschool.com/dslr/
Will save you a lot of time visiting forums and such

To keep a shallow depth of field you need to block light. I would recommend getting a quality variable ND filter. I would go with the Heliopan Variable ND Filter.

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:17 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

lots of good intel here, if I might ask a question.

I import native 550D .mov files into premiere pro 5.0 and they appear as expected. the timeline is yellow. when i drag twixtor onto the clip that portion of the sequence turns red, and the clip locks up, doesnt show any frames. I select render and while it changes the sequence color to green, it doesnt apply the filter as i would have expected. any ideas? thank you

j

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

OH, and to the OP, look into magic lantern firmware.... learn about it here

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

Dec 30, 2011 at 01:34 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

www.cinema5d.com has an enormous amount of info. Enough to confuse anyone!

Dec 30, 2011 at 06:37 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

Justin Huffman wrote:
lots of good intel here, if I might ask a question.

I import native 550D .mov files into premiere pro 5.0 and they appear as expected. the timeline is yellow. when i drag twixtor onto the clip that portion of the sequence turns red, and the clip locks up, doesnt show any frames. I select render and while it changes the sequence color to green, it doesnt apply the filter as i would have expected. any ideas? thank you

j

Well, Green (or no colour) means PP is happy and can play back in real time. Yellow means the clip doesn't match the sequence settings or something may cause a delay and playback may not be real time, on the other hand, Premiere Pro does a good job of playing most 'yellow' sequences in real time if your CPU and/or GPU are up to it. Red means no chance of real time, usually because you have applied effects that take way longer than real time to render - which would certainly include Twixtor.

You don't say what happens, so it's hard to have any idea of how to help you.

Also, rendering a preview may not give you 100% accurate results, so try a full export to file and see if that is better. When exporting do NOT use rendered previews - that way it will apply the effects to the source frames and output directly.

So, please tell us what's not happening as it should and we can go from there....

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

thanks Dave - appreciate the input. when in yellow PPro plays it well but in red it stumbles horribly and shows the actual fps in the right corner dialog... usually moving around between 10-18 fps. Howvever after a render it still cannot display the content.. It just shows one frame and appears frozen, the corner to corner X from twixtor flashes occasionally... perhaps its my editing machine. late 09 MBP with 8 gig ram. Ill do an export and see what that does. thanks again.

j

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:56 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

Justin Huffman wrote:
thanks Dave - appreciate the input. when in yellow PPro plays it well but in red it stumbles horribly and shows the actual fps in the right corner dialog... usually moving around between 10-18 fps. Howvever after a render it still cannot display the content.. It just shows one frame and appears frozen, the corner to corner X from twixtor flashes occasionally... perhaps its my editing machine. late 09 MBP with 8 gig ram. Ill do an export and see what that does. thanks again.

j

You'll never get Twixtor to play in real time

Not sure if it was added in 5.0 or 5.5 but we use Time Warp in After Effects - it's included and does an excellent job, so we never bothered buying Twixtor.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:48 PM
Justin Huffman
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

I'll look into that. Thanks!!

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:18 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · HD DSLR Video... how to get started..?

Since you mentioned Vincent Laforet, he shares a lot of information on his blog, and has offered in depth online training as well. Just google it or go to creativelive.com

you might be in for a shock if you do not already know that the price of the camera body is a tiny part of the incvestment in equipment and software needed to make a pro quality video. will your boss cough up $20K for some accessories?

Dec 31, 2011 at 01:58 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password