Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Lightroom metadata question

dimitris77
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lightroom metadata question

I have a Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZE and it seems that some photos have the correct lens exif and others don't and just register the lens as (35mm). This is a bit weird because I haven't changed firmware on the camera. Is there any way to get Lightroom to refresh the metadata or do I need to edit them? If they need editing how do I do that?

I noticed that I have the same problem with photos taken with a 35L a few years ago. Some are registered ok and others are registered as 35.0mm. Also it appears like I had 2 versions of the 85L the mkI and the mkII even though I had the mkII only. My shots with the 85mm f1.8, 135L and 200L don't register properly either. Any ideas how to clean up this mess?

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:32 AM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #2 · Lightroom metadata question

I think you'll need to edit the metadata manually then reimport the files into Lightroom. A tool like ExifTool would make it quite simple to do.

Dec 21, 2011 at 05:50 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Lightroom metadata question

You ought to be able to select all photos that use a 35mm lens (using metadata filter) and if necessary deselect those shot with other brands or models of lens (probably based on the dates on which you owned the lenses more so than metadata). Then edit one of those images in Develop mode, set the automatic lens correction even if you have to manually pick the lens brand and model, and sync that change to the other photos.

The same process can fix your 85mm I vs II issues too, but it can be tricky to separate the f/1.8 lens shots from the f/1.2 lens shots unless you have actually used f/1.2 as the shooting aperture.

The hardest way is to use say Canon DPP to determine which lenses were used and note which photos applied to which lens. If you're lucky there will be separate folders or date ranges for the different lenses so that they will be easier to locate within Lr.

I would avoid re-importing into Lr if possible because that would trash all previous edits for those photos within Lr. Only do that if separating the photos according to actual lens used is harder than re-thinking and re-applying edits.

It seems that sometimes the data that Lr has about the photo does not identify the right brand/model combination and it needs to be told about the brand before it can select the correct model. Other times it has the brand but not the model. Other times it just works. I don't know where the problem originates.

- Alan

Dec 27, 2011 at 03:14 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password