New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Sharona
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Hey all - Thought I'd offer a little report on this strap, having had the opportunity at a local camera shop to try these out. I had never heard of them before someone mentioned it in another thread here. I went to their website and was impressed; I detest and never properly use camera straps. I am an average sized female, 5'6". I like to have as little straps, weight, bulk, etc... on my person. So I thought for sure the streamlined women's version or the summer version of the RS Sport would be my choice. I was wrong. The wider strap on the regular RS Sport was much more comfortable on my shoulder; the others had a tendency to dig in a little. So far, I am really liking this strap. Well made and comfortable.

So, if you were thinking about this strap and don't have the opportunity to try before you buy, perhaps this will help a little in your decision making about which model to buy.

Cheers,
Sharon

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM
umihoshijima
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Info on Black Rapid strap

I've heard mixed reviews on this strap - One concernI've heard is that the screw going into the tripod mount can loosen over time. There was an amazon review about a guy whose gear fell off of the strap one day during a shoot… Perhaps someone with the strap for a while can chime in?

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Info on Black Rapid strap

That would be interesting to know. I'll have to go over to Amazon and read those reviews. My comments were simply about the size and model, as someone who is somewhat picky about how things like camera straps "feel."

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:13 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Info on Black Rapid strap

They have updated the fastener, but my guess would be any recent failures are more likely user error of some kind (probably not tightening the fastener enough and/or not wetting the rubber washer slightly for a really tight fit).

That said, a safety strap isn't a bad idea. I took some inspiration from this thread over at POTN and made a similar setup that is compatible with my Arca plates (I'm updating a thread I made here for future searches)

I love my Black Rapid. Far better than the old-fashioned camera straps...

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:52 PM
kmorgans

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Info on Black Rapid strap

I use the Black Rapid RS-7 and I love it. But I never used the screw that goes into the tripod mount. What I do use is something called a "Bostail". It is a short 4 inch strap that attaches to the camera strap lug. No chance of your gear falling with this setup.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:05 PM
AmIgone
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Well I’ve got the DR-1 double strap. It’s very comfortable to wear too. Unlike the Cotton Carrier system, the cameras tend to swing around quite a bit. Not to mention if you need to lean forward, like to get something out of the trunk of a car, there bound to knock into the back of it.

When they were first released they had some problems with the fasteners breaking. They have that problem resolved with the new fastenR-3. It’s a single piece of machined aluminum. As for them coming loose and unscrewing, well that’d be operator error IMO. I always check mine occasionally while using them. Not once have I had them come loose. That doesn’t mean I'll quit checking them though.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Info on Black Rapid strap

For my gear, which tends to be moderately heavy, I want it in traditional shooting position. My typical gear is 1D-series with 24-70L and 580 EX, so I am conscious of the drag of heavy gear and frequently relieve the weight with my left hand while paused. I switched this year from standard wide Canon straps to the Op Tech Pro strap. It distributes the weight over a wide neck strap. I would never rely on anything screwed into the tripod socket. Plus, I often have need of the tripod socket!

Whatever works for you!

Dec 20, 2011 at 05:51 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Info on Black Rapid strap

I've had an RS-4 for about a year now. My single complaint is that they're abit pricey. $40 is a bit much for a strap IMO, but if I lost mine today, I would order another to replace it ASAP. I've put mine to use shooting events and youth sports which would've been a pain with traditional strap. I believe the fastener issue is primarily operator error. I've never dropped my gear, but I check the fastener occasionally like anyone should. I've found it loose a couple times and cinched it up and went about my business. Great product!

Dec 20, 2011 at 06:03 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Sharona,

check this out: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1004368/0?keyword=Black,Rapid,Strap#9539078

for myself, until I wrapped black electrician's tape around the D-ring, I discovered a series of very, very tiny nicks on the back bottom edge of my D700. the electrician's tape looks like hell, but it sure has protected my camera body since.

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:50 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Hey - Thanks for all the replies and conversation. I hear you, Gunzorro, I have just upgraded to a 1D series pro body and it does make me nervous, but I intend to do what everyone else is doing - checking the screw and everything else on occasion to ensure all is as it should be! If anyone else has had issues using the strap with a pro body, I'd love to hear about it. I just cannot use the regular straps; they dig in and force my neck forward - just too uncomfortable. I figure holding it by hand with no strap is a lot riskier than using the Black Rapid. Thanks!

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:13 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Info on Black Rapid strap

The tripod screw on the camera bottom is not meant to hold the weight of the camera and lens hanging vertically. I recently saw a letter from Canon (on another forum) in which Canon specifically says the tripod mount is not designed to hold the weight in that manner. The whole screw assembly could be ripped out of the camera base.
I use the Bostails as someone mentioned above. I think the initial problem with the link coming undone has been fixed. Otherwise, the strap is comfortable.

PS I will try to find that post a provide a link. It was an unusually detailed response.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:38 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Info on Black Rapid strap

FWIW, Sharona, I've adapted the Cotton Carrier safety strap to my BR-7, and, ever mindful of EGrav's excellent post, make damn sure that the damn thing is screwed in securely. If it fails, however, I've got the CC safety strap for, well, safety

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:43 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Info on Black Rapid strap

I'd like to see that link and letter. The mount is specifically designed to hold the weight of the camera and a lens. Unless we're talking about much lower-end cameras, I find it hard to believe...

Honestly, I think a lot of the issues you hear about the BR strap is user errors of one sort or another. One thing I like about my setup is I'm making a point to attach the safety strap first. If I mishandle it while attaching the clamp or there is some sort of failure of the clamp or fastener, the safety strap is going to catch it. It isn't protection against the whole strap failing (or me failing to clip it), but...

(Actually, I'd forgotten there was a clip on the thing. I think I'll just leave that clip alone )

Edited on Dec 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM · View previous versions

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Wickedfn4u
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Hi Sharona, I have the DR-1 also and love it. I will use it with a D3 and 70-200 (attached to the lens)and a D700wgrip and a 28-70. I will then have my 400 2.8 on a mono pod over my shoulder when at a event. It is very comfortable and I love how they hang once you get it adjusted. Now I have had both the flip D ring and the little loop (latest) and have never had them come loose. As a mater of fact it is a good hard twist to get it off if I ever have to remove but I have only taken one of the new ones off since I put it on. The key was wet your finger get the rubber wet and then screw it on. I don't over tighten, just snug plus a touch. When I undo it you hear a snap even when it breaks loose.

I am sure someone has had one come loose and they are usually vocal about it but I totally trust mine and have not "safety" straps. Not to say that when I pull it out of the bag I just put a touch on it to make sure before hooking up. They are in the original position I put them on a year + ago. Most things that do mess up can be traced back to user error. ( I just saw someone railing on the Cotton about coming loose too)

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Info on Black Rapid strap

EGrav wrote:
The tripod screw on the camera bottom is not meant to hold the weight of the camera and lens hanging vertically. I recently saw a letter from Canon (on another forum) in which Canon specifically says the tripod mount is not designed to hold the weight in that manner. The whole screw assembly could be ripped out of the camera base.
I use the Bostails as someone mentioned above. I think the initial problem with the link coming undone has been fixed. Otherwise, the strap is comfortable.

PS I will try to find that post a provide a link. It was an
...Show more

I would love to see this link if you can find it. Thanks!

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:22 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Info on Black Rapid strap

There is some info on this site: http://www.bosstrap.com/wheretoattach.pdf
Of course, it's a competitor's ad, so ....
I read several photo forums and I am looking for the post where someone had included the email he received from Canon re: attaching to the tripod socket.
I like the Black Rapid Strap, but it did make me nervous about the weight pulling against the tripod socket.
I am not affiliated with either company, just thought people should be aware of a possible weak spot. The BR Strap with a bostail just makes me feel better. : )

Dec 21, 2011 at 08:27 AM
freakboy

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Please see this thread from last week in the wedding forums:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1060277

Patrick

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:09 AM
loosh
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Has anybody heard of the tripod mount getting ripped off the bottom? Every failure I've heard has been strap related, and a lot of those sound like user error. It worked great for me.

Dec 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Info on Black Rapid strap

The BossStrap e-mails seem disingenuous and very vague, not to mention the support guys are likely to give a CYA answer. That said, I'd like to see something official from Nikon, Canon, et. al. At the end of the day, those customer support reps probably aren't in direct contact with the engineers/designers in their company, and this is something that should be addressed at that level. These kinds of straps are becoming more common and either the mounts should be up to the task or some declaration should be made on use of products like Black Rapid.

I'm no engineer, but work with a lot of them (insert "I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night" joke here). I think the issue would be more in the area of repetitive stress, but I can't really see how the kinds of load required to generate significant force in the socket are happening under normal use. Swinging it around with an 80-200 f/2.8 wouldn't be a good idea, but who is doing that? There is no force locking the body down or creating a "moment" at the mount. With the fastener in place, it seems like the stresses required to hurt it would have to be significant. Think of how low that mount is and how much stress would be involved with a 70-300 or similar lens mounted (that has no collar of its own).

The wedding forum post honestly sounds like user error to me.

Because I'm conservative by nature, and prone to destruction, here is how I set mine up:

Notice I put the safety strap on the highly unlikely to fail base ring on the strap itself - fastening it to the carbiner doesn't eliminate the likeliest point of failure.

The strap was $6 from B&H (I think) and could probably go to the standard strap mount on the side - might require a slightly longer version.

Edited on Dec 21, 2011 at 11:26 AM · View previous versions

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Info on Black Rapid strap

Thanks everyone. A lot of food for thought, actually. I may look around for a system that doesn't screw into the tripod mount. If for no other reason than as many have pointed out, it wasn't meant to be used for that and since I'm now using a 1D series camera I am not interested in damage due to my own errors!

That said, if any of you who are using Black Rapid with homemade "safety belts" could offer photos of your set up I'd be most interested.

Thanks!

Edit - busy reading another thread and hadn't seen the above. Thanks for posting. How about those who are not using plates, just screwing the strap straight into the mount?

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:10 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.