Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · 7d battery grips, which one?

Matt Ward
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I just got my 7d and have been shooting a 20d for years. I have always had a battery grip on it for the vertical release and just a little more mass, it has a real Canon grip. I just cannot justify the money for a real canon grip on the 7d. I have used Opteka stuff before, I am thinking I will go with theirs unless there is a good reason not to. I do not think lens weight will be an issue with the mount, I own L zooms up to the 80-200/2.8 and sometimes rent a 300/4 IS or 400/4.5.

Let me know your thoughts please.

Dec 20, 2011 at 08:45 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7d battery grips, which one?

i've heard good things about zeikos

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:25 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I have had Zeikos on my 7D and T3i. They seem to be decent - look good & function well. Mine have held up perfectly well with normal care.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:27 AM
jcleejr

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7d battery grips, which one?

Ditto to the above...I have owned both the Opteka and Zeikos grips and have found them to be satisfactory in every way - and at a fraction of the price of the OEM version.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:36 AM
Eric Mastilak
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I buy Canon everything..except for grips. Both my 5D2 and 7D are third party and I have never had one problem. I would not hesitate to purchase one.

Dec 20, 2011 at 09:51 AM
dennist
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7d battery grips, which one?

Zeikos here on my 7D, no problems.

Dennis

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM
ChrisRD
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I'm using a Zeikos on a 7D as well...no problems. I had the Canon grip on another 7D and I'd say the Canon grip has slightly better build quality but IMO it's not worth the price premium. IMO there's no significant difference in feel or function...

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I got a used 7D with an "Aputure." Decent fit but worked intermittently (back button wouldn't focus). Purchased the Canon. Better fit and feel but the shutter button is machine gun crazy. Will be sending it in for adjustment. In general I think OEM grips are better though they are 50% more expensive.

Robert

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM
kkroeker
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I've gone through 2 Zeikos grips on my 7D in 2 years. Zeikos replaced the first one that only only lasted 3 months. The second grip only lasted a bit longer. I wouldn't buy another grip from them. Go Canon.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:40 AM
InternetJunky
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I can only relate my own experience with the zeikos grip for my 7D, but the very first outing after putting it on my 7D I got a battery error after about an hour of shooting. The error didn't go away after removing the grip and I had to send in my body for repairs. The grip hasn't been back on the body since.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:51 AM
lhdvries
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I have never had any problems with Zeikos. I had them on my D700 & D300 Nikons for several years.
On the other hand I now have a 7D that came with a Canon grip & have had it work loose several times, but other than that it works OK.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:54 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7d battery grips, which one?

I've used detachable motor drives on film bodies in the past, but haven't used a battery grip since going digital.

I can't tell from the photos on B&H or the Zeikos home page: does the grip have its own tripod socket, or do you lose tripod capability when you attach the grip?

[Never mind: I found a YouTube video, and it shows the tripod socket.]

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:47 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.