Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

Rav13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

Hi,

I've got a wedding booking and it's the first one abroad, I normally take a pelicase which holds all the equipment I need, but travelling abroad I feel its safer to take as carry on however the allowance isn't much.

The equipment I'd like to take as carry on is the following... but weight restrictions are only 5kg and this goes well over 5kg.

Camera Bodies (5D II and additional 1Dx if it arrives by that time or it'll be 2 5d IIs)
85L
135L
35L
70-200L II

1 580EXII and a couple of pocketwizard units too.

I'll put the rest of the stuff in my main luggage, the question is do you guys take all your gear or really try and cut back. Each one of these lenes offer something different, what would you cut back or risk going via the checked luggage?

Thanks in advance.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:30 PM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

I travel to taiwan to shoot a couple of wedding.
i roll on with a pelican executive - this is like the think tank roll on.
all my gear fits right above in over head. I also bring a backpack with laptop and other stuff for my office on the go.

Appareal is checked.

Siimple and easy.

Dec 20, 2011 at 01:37 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

My last destination wedding I carried:

5D II + 1DIII
16-35
35L
85L
90 macro
70-200
28-75

2 x 580EX
2 x Sunpack 383
4 x pocketwizards
2 x small light stands + umbrella

Most of this fit into my carryon camera case. The light stands were in their own case. The lights went into my suitcase.

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:47 PM
rema86
• •
p.1 #4 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

jcolman wrote:

5D II + 1DIII
16-35
35L
85L
90 macro
70-200
28-75

2 x 580EX
2 x Sunpack 383
4 x pocketwizards

Most of this fit into my carryon camera case. The light stands were in their own case. The lights went into my suitcase.

were you able to carry the small light stands in the airplane or you had them in the suitcase?

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:26 PM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #5 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

Ziffl3 wrote:
I travel to taiwan to shoot a couple of wedding.
i roll on with a pelican executive - this is like the think tank roll on.
all my gear fits right above in over head. I also bring a backpack with laptop and other stuff for my office on the go.

Appareal is checked.

Siimple and easy.

I'll look into that case, thanks

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:28 PM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #6 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

Thats a lot of equipment too, i'll look into the peli case as recommended. Thanks

jcolman wrote:

5D II + 1DIII
16-35
35L
85L
90 macro
70-200
28-75

2 x 580EX
2 x Sunpack 383
4 x pocketwizards

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:29 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

rema86 wrote:
were you able to carry the small light stands in the airplane or you had them in the suitcase?

I have a travel case for the stands.

Dec 20, 2011 at 03:32 PM
rema86
• •
p.1 #8 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

jcolman wrote:
I have a travel case for the stands.

do they count it as a separate carry-on?

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:48 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

You don't have very much listed at all. That should very easily fit in a shooting bag that you can carry on or put under your seat. If you're carrying it on, there's really no need to pack it up much. Just carry it as you would if you were shooting.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:52 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

I'd throw in another wide angle lens, just in case. But you aren't carrying much at all, and I like where your head is at. You haven't said whether or not this is a strictly legal job abroad, and in the event that it isn't you'll probably want to keep it discrete.

- trr

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rav13
• •
p.1 #11 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

thanks, the weight must just be the peli case, I'll think of getting the think tank international for the travel, could be a new place to store some of the equipment too.

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:45 PM
Rav13
• •
p.1 #12 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

The 2nd shooter has a wide angle with him, I'm not taking the other zoom's i've got. Yeah it's a legal job

TRReichman wrote:
I'd throw in another wide angle lens, just in case. But you aren't carrying much at all, and I like where your head is at. You haven't said whether or not this is a strictly legal job abroad, and in the event that it isn't you'll probably want to keep it discrete.

- trr

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:47 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

Only one flash, what if something happens to it? Throw another one in a check in bag just in case.

Also if you drop the 35l or lose it or it stops working, you are screwed, you would have nothing wider than 70mm

The 70-200 and 85 and 135 is a bit much, one of those can go, I would bring a wide angle zoom instead of the 135 (just my 2 cents)

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

My carryon has 2 camera bodies, 4 flashes, 5 lenses, LED video light (plus 2 batteries), 2 super clamps, cables, spare batteries, etc...

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:27 PM
ai3x
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

So you should be able to fit everything into your bag the problem is weight. Most airlines won't check the weight of your carry on however some (especially international ones) will do. Some tips:

By international law you're allowed to carry "articles" in addition to your carry on. Articles includes one camera.
There is no weight limit on pockets. As such make sure you wear a coat with big pockets. If you get in trouble fill your pockets with all your lenses and other heavy gear.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM
keithdunlop
• • •
p.1 #16 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

ai3x wrote:
So you should be able to fit everything into your bag the problem is weight. Most airlines won't check the weight of your carry on however some (especially international ones) will do. Some tips:

By international law you're allowed to carry "articles" in addition to your carry on. Articles includes one camera.
There is no weight limit on pockets. As such make sure you wear a coat with big pockets. If you get in trouble fill your pockets with all your lenses and other heavy gear.

Depending on the airline, I would consider weight as well as size. At a minimum, have a back-up plan if your carry-on is over-weight (which with that amount of gear it WILL be). I was prohibited from boarding a flight on Air France because of the weight issue.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:12 AM
TomKayser
• •
p.1 #17 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

keithdunlop wrote:
Depending on the airline, I would consider weight as well as size. At a minimum, have a back-up plan if your carry-on is over-weight (which with that amount of gear it WILL be). I was prohibited from boarding a flight on Air France because of the weight issue.

it just has to LOOK light, then noone will ever check hand luggage. so take it easy ... and on every airline i ever flew intercontinentally, you can get a small one AND a "real" piece of cake in. plus a cam around your neck. thats plenty...

Dec 21, 2011 at 04:00 AM
katiedis
• • •
p.1 #18 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

pack zip lock bags, too. JUST IN CASE you end up having to check anything in because of weight or size limits at the last second, put your gear into zip lock bags. Water and condensation from baggage compartments is a real issue (Sam Hassas, remember?). I never travel without zip lock baggies now.

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:59 PM
katiedis
• • •
p.1 #19 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

and I second previous comments regarding the weight consideration for carry-on too. My friends got dinged for over-weight carry-on, whereas I was (for some lucky reason) not weighed. It was the same flight (Lufthansa). I was easily carrying 25 lbs more than they were, but was using a pretty plain looking backpack and gave the impression of it being light on my back (or at least I tried to). They had to check-in their carry-on AND pay a pretty hefty fee. Be prepared for the changes that might happen. At least bring an empty bag and zip-locks in case you have to check in bags, that way you can pull out the essential lenses/bodies to still carry-on those as an attempt to manage the risk of checked-in bags getting lost/damaged.

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:05 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #20 · Travelling abroad for wedding, what to take...

Everything you need to shoot the wedding needs to go on board the plane with you - Always. Most airlines make an exception for pro photographers traveling on assignment and a wedding shoot qualifies. Barring that I wear as much gear onto the plane using a Domke Photographers Jacket. I can easily put two pro bodies, a 70-200, and 24-70mm, and a 580EX size strobe in the jacket and wear it onto the plane. Once on the plane I can put the jacket into the overhead where it fits much more easily than a rectangular piece of luggage. I put the camera bag in the checked luggage stuffed with clothes and worst case at my destination I can buy a camera bag if my luggage is lost or items inside are stolen.

With a 8kg weight limit I would pick another airline that is not so restrictive, like British Airways or American Airlines.

With small 4-6 passenger planes I have a roller case that is gate checked so it bypasses the baggage handlers and the back room TSA people and that way the gear inside is much less likely to get feet.
Gate checked bags are last on and first off and that saves time as well.

Dec 23, 2011 at 08:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password