New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

BluesWest
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

I need some advice regarding a Dell U2212HM monitor I just received. This is my first IPS monitor and although I was aware of the complaints some users have regarding the anti-glare coating, I figured the only way to know whether it would be a problem for me was to order the monitor and test it myself. Well, after a few hours of using the monitor I'm ready to return it. The anti-glare coating is so noticeable that everything on the screen that is lighter than about 50% grey looks like it has a layer of dirt over it. I mean that literally -- a few times I've had to stop myself from reaching for the microfiber cloth that I keep by my work area to wipe the dust off the monitor, only to remember that it's brand new and sparkling clean! I have no idea how anyone can edit photos on a monitor like this, especially when trying to evaluate noise and the amount of NR to use on an image.

But here's the problem: although I'm willing to return this monitor and eat the shipping and restocking fees, the discussions I've read about IPS monitors in general indicate that they all have a fairly aggressive anti-glare coating.

So my question is this: are the Dell monitors really that much worse than the competition (which, in this price range, would probably include monitors from HP or Asus)? Moreover, has anyone compared them -- specifically with regard to the anti-glare coating -- to the considerably more expensive NEC MultiSync series (e.g. the PA231W)?

Thanks in advance for any input you can give me...

John

Dec 20, 2011 at 02:11 AM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

I can speak for the Dell U2412M as I have two that I'm working on right now. I honestly don't notice the grittyness, and I know what you're talking about. At first I wasn't prepared for it, but when you come from TN panels, it's leaps and bounds better. I can see though, coming from an Apple display, or even a CRT where one would be surprised.

I'll let others chime in regarding NEC displays, or the U2410 display, though I hear that one has the same coating.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:45 AM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

I'm on my 3rd IPS monitor with "matte" screens, current one is NEC 2490 with Spectraview. I have no problem with the "anti glare" looking "dirty", but I keep ambient light off the monitor as much as possible. I operate in a fairly dark room, with a small desk lamp positioned well behind the monitor and well shaded.

There is a bright ceiling light directly behind me, and if I leave that light on my monitor looks bad. The diffused reflection from the ceiling light washes out the display. So, try your Dell in the dark and see if it's any better.

I have the opposite problem with glare on other monitors. After years using non-glare minotors, others drive me nuts. Recently decided to buy a "tablet" (Ipad equivalent), but rejected them all because of the glare. The Samsung 10.1 is particularly bad. Waiting for good anti-glare technology to catch up with that market.

Dec 20, 2011 at 10:04 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

stebesplace wrote:
I can speak for the Dell U2412M as I have two that I'm working on right now. I honestly don't notice the grittyness, and I know what you're talking about. At first I wasn't prepared for it, but when you come from TN panels, it's leaps and bounds better. I can see though, coming from an Apple display, or even a CRT where one would be surprised.

I'll let others chime in regarding NEC displays, or the U2410 display, though I hear that one has the same coating.

The NEC and most of them really, do have it. I'm not a fan of it myself and if you look closely they even act like prisms a bit and you can get a micro-scale sparkly effect. I honestly much prefer a good glossy screen, glare doesn't wash over the entire screen, no grit, no sparkle, I wish some top end monitors would offer glossy options.

Dec 20, 2011 at 04:23 PM
stebesplace
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

Here is my setup with ambient lighting:
http://www.steveplacephotography.com/wp-content/uploads/workstationpartdeux0001-600x400.jpg
Basically I put my ambient as bounce lighting behind both displays, with a secondary lamp for non photo work to the left. I turn that off when I'm doing critical work. Not having any direct light on the screens is probably why I don't notice the anti-glare coating. I have two large windows to the left of this desk, so a glossy screen wasn't great for my environment, but if you have no windows in a darker room, the glossy should be fine.

Dec 20, 2011 at 07:57 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. Steve, thanks in particular for the details and photo of your setup. I'm going to try modifying the lighting in my work area and see if that helps.

After some more research into the various IPS monitors, it seems that, as Skibum5 points out, all of them have roughly the same type of AG coating. So, I guess I'll just give my new Dell monitor some time and find a way to adapt to it.

John

Dec 21, 2011 at 02:08 PM
mikek200
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

I totally agree with Redbone

I have the Nec pa231W,and have no issues ,but I am in a somewhat ..muted lit room,with one incandescent lap with a 60watt bulb , diagnostically behind me,12 ft. away.
No sunlight,and curtains over each window.
This is just my computer work/ viewing area..you may need a brighter setup,also,you may need to get used to the difference screen coatings...personnely,I love the NEC screens.coatings.

Good luck ,enjoy your new monitor.,I've read good things about it.

Mike

Dec 21, 2011 at 03:01 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anti-glare coatings on IPS monitors

No problem with glare using Apple 27" cinema display.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.