Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2011 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad
  
 
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


This is what I use

- Late 2011 Macbook Pro
- Dell U2711
- Apple Aperture 3.2.2

I calibrate using the recommended default settings and procedure for the Spyder3Pro. When I export the image I set the Color Profile to that of the Spyder3-calibrated U2711.

Now it looks the way I want it on my U2711 when I use Firefox 8 and Safari 5 on my Mac but the colors do not follow using Safari on the iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.

I do understand that there is a Spyder3 app for the iPad but that is largely unhelpful considering I want my colors to comply to the default calibration of the iPad and iPhone.

All three displays are IPS panels.



Dec 19, 2011 at 04:25 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


dolina wrote:
This is what I use

- Late 2011 Macbook Pro
- Dell U2711
- Apple Aperture 3.2.2

I calibrate using the recommended default settings and procedure for the Spyder3Pro. When I export the image I set the Color Profile to that of the Spyder3-calibrated U2711.

Now it looks the way I want it on my U2711 when I use Firefox 8 and Safari 5 on my Mac but the colors do not follow using Safari on the iPad 2 or iPhone 4S.

I do understand that there is a Spyder3 app for the iPad but that is largely unhelpful considering I want my colors to comply
...Show more

a bit confused by what you are trying to do there

dang, i thought there were no color aware ipad viewers yet, i was just in process of writing one
dang, i'm way too late to the game to the iApp world, ship has sailed



Dec 19, 2011 at 05:00 AM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


What white point do I need to follow on my Mac to match the color temp of the iPad or iPhone.

Because 6500K (D65) that everyone agrees as the standard white point isn't working out on the Apple devices.



Dec 19, 2011 at 05:34 AM
Peter Figen
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


You should probably be exporting your images in sRGB and embedding that profile, and not use your monitor profile. That is likely your biggest culprit. While the iPhone and iPad are not exactly sRGB, they seem to be close enough to get by. Applications and browsers that can use the embedded profile will display your current images fine, using your monitor profile, but it's not really the best way to do it.


Dec 19, 2011 at 07:48 AM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


Thanks Peter.

#1 sRGB


srgb by alabang, on Flickr

#2 dell profile


dell by alabang, on Flickr

#3 source profile


source by alabang, on Flickr



Dec 19, 2011 at 08:43 AM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


So it appears I should stick to sRGB then. How about "Proofing Profile" for "Online Proofing"?


Dec 19, 2011 at 08:50 AM
Peter Figen
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


Doesn't Flicker toss or ignore the profile? That would explain why your monitor RGB image is so much less saturated than the sRGB. In any event, since you can't really control how it's going to be seen, you should aim to make a great looking sRGB with embedded profile and those that are using modern browser will be fine and the others, well, they get what they get. I wouldn't spend a great deal of time worrying about them.


Dec 19, 2011 at 08:57 AM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


Peter Figen wrote:
Doesn't Flicker toss or ignore the profile? That would explain why your monitor RGB image is so much less saturated than the sRGB. In any event, since you can't really control how it's going to be seen, you should aim to make a great looking sRGB with embedded profile and those that are using modern browser will be fine and the others, well, they get what they get. I wouldn't spend a great deal of time worrying about them.


From what I see it doesn't. On Facebook it discards the profile when they show a smaller version of it. When you click the image to display it as a lightbox it displays the image with the profile enabled.

Looking at these three images above in Google Chrome for Mac 16.0.912.63, Safari for Mac 5.1.2 and Firefox for Mac 8.0.1 appears that the sRGB is the most saturated, dell the least saturated and source profile is at the middle.



Dec 19, 2011 at 09:18 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



bluesboy
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


If it is any help, I'm viewing these on a PC using IE (non-colour aware), albeit on a calibrated monitor. Of the 3 pictures the sRGB is the most saturated (and best balanced as well). The source profile is least saturated and the Dell profile sits in the middle but has a yellow cast.


Dec 19, 2011 at 10:34 AM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


bluesboy wrote:
If it is any help, I'm viewing these on a PC using IE (non-colour aware), albeit on a calibrated monitor. Of the 3 pictures the sRGB is the most saturated (and best balanced as well). The source profile is least saturated and the Dell profile sits in the middle but has a yellow cast.

Thanks blue it appears that I've been posting wrong for a few months already.



Dec 19, 2011 at 11:32 AM
WAYCOOL
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


If you are using a monitor profile as a colorspace for your pictures you are not managing color properly. A profile is not a color space and should never be used as one. Jpegs for viewing on any monitor should be or converted to sRGB.


Dec 19, 2011 at 05:20 PM
dolina
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


WAYCOOL wrote:
If you are using a monitor profile as a colorspace for your pictures you are not managing color properly. A profile is not a color space and should never be used as one. Jpegs for viewing on any monitor should be or converted to sRGB.


I am not exporting all my images to sRGB. Now what should be my 'proofing profile' be? the U2711 or sRGB?



Dec 22, 2011 at 02:59 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


bluesboy wrote:
If it is any help, I'm viewing these on a PC using IE (non-colour aware), albeit on a calibrated monitor. Of the 3 pictures the sRGB is the most saturated (and best balanced as well). The source profile is least saturated and the Dell profile sits in the middle but has a yellow cast.


I have no idea what "source profile" even means but that one looks most saturated to me by a trace with the Dell the least saturated by far (using color-managed firefox).


Using a monitor profile for a photo is not a good thing to do at all!
I don't think doing that does what the OP thinks it does.




Dec 22, 2011 at 04:10 AM
skibum5
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


dolina wrote:
I am not exporting all my images to sRGB. Now what should be my 'proofing profile' be? the U2711 or sRGB?


You should set ProPhotoRGB 16bits as the color space for photo shop. If you also end up saving an sRGB copy then you can see what does when you use the convert to profile tool and toggle it on and off (Although on a non-wide gamut monitor you really won't see much of any change most likely, you could go to proofing and set sRGB as the target and then set out of gamut warning and see what areas get lit up).



Dec 22, 2011 at 04:12 AM
Photon
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · Calibrating for viewing on the iPhone & iPad


skibum5 wrote:
...
You should set ProPhotoRGB 16bits as the color space for photo shop. If you also end up saving an sRGB copy then you can see what does when you use the convert to profile tool and toggle it on and off (Although on a non-wide gamut monitor you really won't see much of any change most likely, you could go to proofing and set sRGB as the target and then set out of gamut warning and see what areas get lit up).

I'd recommend you do all your editing work in ProPhoto (that's the color space that Lightroom uses, btw). When you make web copies, convert the profile to sRGB. Someday the world will be filled with monitors that can display AdobeRGB, or maybe even ProPhoto or something similar. By then, all web browsers will be color aware and we'll keep the same profiles for all our new images, whatever their final destination. For now, we have to work in a large color space, print in it when we can, and convert to narrower sRGB when we want to display on unknown devices (such as the web). Just don't get caught embedding your own monitor profile in your images. It's there to correct for your monitor's imperfections.



Dec 27, 2011 at 06:40 AM





FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password