New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Profoto Umbrella XL

conradicus

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto Umbrella XL

It was released this month for roughly $300 I think. Has anyone managed to pick one up and try it out? If so, how does it compare against the other parabolic-esque umbrellas on the market? It has a 65in diameter which sounds like it could be portable. Any thoughts?

http://www.profoto.com/uk/umbrellas/umbrella-xl-silver

Many thanks

Conradicus

Dec 18, 2011 at 07:51 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto Umbrella XL

I have the 64" silver PLM and would like to see comparisons between the two, It is interesting that they mention using the zoom reflector while PCB recommend bare bulb usage with theirs so maybe there is some difference in design. I use my 64" PLM a lot on location and even in some wind it is very usable, it's also great to stick the front diffusion fabric on it and get almost two modifiers in one.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:35 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto Umbrella XL

I haven't seen any hit the stores yet, but I would be surprised if it retails for $300. The standard large silver, which is nowhere as deep and has fewer ribs, sells for $375.

Interesting that the main section says it is 165 cm, but under technical details they have: 114 cm (44,9 in), diam 15 cm (5,9 in), 1,2 kg (2,6 lbs).

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto Umbrella XL

165 cm (65 inches) is likely the length along the surface curve, which is a "standard" that is used to describe the size of umbrellas. The shorter 114 cm (45 inches) is likely the diameter across the face. With the deeper parabolic shape, you get the larger difference in dimensions than most standard umbrellas would have.

Using any reflector on a focusing umbrella is going to reduce some side spill, but also can limit the light reaching the outer parts of the parabolic shape. With the rod through design that Profoto allows for the main focus position, and the fully adjustable reflector position design that Profoto also has, you can adjust the reflector to be "just right", and get minimum side spill while still maintaining full beam diameter. The modeling light makes the reflector position adjustment pretty easy.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto Umbrella XL

Here is a link to a more comprehensive review:
http://www.profoto.com/blog/light-shaping-2/light-shaping-tool-of-the-month-umbrella-xl/

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto Umbrella XL

The price tag seems rediculous. From the images it's IMO pretty clear that they are made by the Chinese mfgs which produce the already existing varieties. At least the framework seems not different, showing a stem as weak as the very first (now improved) version of the PLM. So why pay more than three times than others are asking?

Dec 18, 2011 at 01:12 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto Umbrella XL

PeterBerressem wrote:
The price tag seems rediculous. From the images it's IMO pretty clear that they are made by the Chinese mfgs which produce the already existing varieties. At least the framework seems not different, showing a stem as weak as the very first (now improved) version of the PLM. So why pay more than three times than others are asking?

But Peter, they have Profoto on them in really nice white lettering

It really depends on how much better the deeper parabolic design works. Technically if the PLM were a perfect parabola and used with a point light source exactly on axis, then it wouldn’t matter how deep or shallow they are. But they are not a perfect parabola, the light isn’t a point source, and with an umbrella shaft mount it is off axis.

They are certainly more expensive than they should be, but compared to the Bron and Profoto giant deep paras, they could almost be seen as a bargain. (Although a translucent parabolic brolly seems a little odd.)

And compared to the regular small white Profoto umbrellas that are listed at B&H for US$107? I have two of them that came in a kit, and they are really nice umbrellas - but would anyone in their right mind pay $107 for a 75 cm brolly.

Dec 18, 2011 at 02:07 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto Umbrella XL

hugowolf wrote:
Here is a link to a more comprehensive review:
http://www.profoto.com/blog/light-shaping-2/light-shaping-tool-of-the-month-umbrella-xl/

Thanks for that link. The larger graphics allow me to confirm the diameter is indeed 65". Profoto remains consistent in this umbrella metric: my (two) 41-inchers are precisely that diameter measured from spoke to opposite spoke. Now to see a listing appear at B&H.

Dec 19, 2011 at 02:36 AM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto Umbrella XL

What's interesting is you can clearly see the edges of the umbrella in the light cast:

http://www.profoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/04-e1322573189688.jpg

I'm surprised it's not more of a beam if it's a copy of the PLM, but they call it an umbrella....

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto Umbrella XL

kenyee wrote:
What's interesting is you can clearly see the edges of the umbrella in the light cast:

Yes, it is surprising how well defined the edges are.

I'm surprised it's not more of a beam
With a parabolic design, the position of the light source determines how collimated the light from the reflector. It would only be truly collimated with the light exactly at the focus point. It is one of the reasons for using a parabola: the ability to focus and defocus the light by moving the source in and out.

And as noted earlier, it is only an approximation of a parabola, it isn’t a point light source, and the light isn’t always on the axis.

if it's a copy of the PLM,
Profoto have been producing parabolic brollies a lot longer than Buff, it isn’t a copy

but they call it an umbrella....
… as it and the PLM both are.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:39 AM
woffles
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Profoto Umbrella XL

hugowolf wrote:
But Peter, they have Profoto on them in really nice white lettering

It really depends on how much better the deeper parabolic design works. Technically if the PLM were a perfect parabola and used with a point light source exactly on axis, then it wouldn’t matter how deep or shallow they are. But they are not a perfect parabola, the light isn’t a point source, and with an umbrella shaft mount it is off axis.

They are certainly more expensive than they should be, but compared to the Bron and Profoto giant deep paras, they could almost be seen as
...Show more

Just to toss out there, the PLM system uses a center mount so the light isn't offset.

Dec 22, 2011 at 09:31 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Profoto Umbrella XL

hugowolf wrote:
Profoto have been producing parabolic brollies a lot longer than Buff, it isn’t a copy

Sorry, meant this low cost parabolic design that folds like an umbrella...not the big Profoto ones that look like the Briese paras that need massive light stands.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:01 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Profoto Umbrella XL

Just to toss out there, the PLM system uses a center mount so the light isn't offset.
But it can be used in a regular umbrella mount, and Buff himself, after pushing the axis mount, came out saying that it wasn’t that important.

Sorry, meant this low cost parabolic design that folds like an umbrella...not the big Profoto ones that look like the Briese paras that need massive light stands.
They all fold like brollies, although some of the larger ones are cranked open and yes, do need their own stand. And Profoto has had ‘giant’ reflectors as small as 150 cm. I think the main difference with the Buff design was just how shallow it was. A deep para can work well even with a poor approximation to a parabola, but a shallow design necessitates a reasonably good approximation.

The question: is the Profoto XL any better (more efficient) than the Buff? And if it is, is it sufficiently so to justify the price difference.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:26 PM
woffles
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Profoto Umbrella XL

Don't have both so can't compare them. I've only used my PLM once since it's so darn large and I don't have a studio. This was just a test shot to see what kind of light the PLM puts out. I really like it. Now to find a studio so I can actually use it.

PLM Test by Jwulf, on Flickr

Dec 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Profoto Umbrella XL

I am interested in how this light compares to the 5' octa from Profoto.

Dec 24, 2011 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.