Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

guitarslinger
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

I shoot with a D700

I shoot in RAW

When I check the image in Photo Shop it says 240 dpi / width 11.8 inches x 17.733 inches

Can I increase the resolution to shoot at 300 dpi? And if so where is it in the menu?

Thanks everyone

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:45 AM
awacs
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

The D700 is a bit over 4200 x 2800 pixels. 4200 pixels in 17.7 inches is around 240 dpi. Perhaps you could *print* at 300 dpi (if printers are smart enough to figure out how), but your print resolution would exceed your pixel resolution. Seems pointless, and maybe not even possible.

Print smaller for more dpi.

HTH (and hope I'm correct!),
Aram

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:57 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

What do you care? It makes no difference as to the output size of the image.

http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/faq.html

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:58 AM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

72dpi, 240dpi, 300dpi is meaningless until you go to print...

Dec 17, 2011 at 01:59 AM
guitarslinger
• • •
p.1 #5 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

Thanks guys……the graphic artist with the company I just shot for wants the RAW images delivered at 300dpi because its going to print….

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:04 AM
guitarslinger
• • •
p.1 #6 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

THats why I'm asking because they are going to print.

Dec 17, 2011 at 02:44 AM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

Your graphic artist may not understand how resolution really works. I run into that all the time with people that run printers.

Your image is a set resolution, that resolution is measured in a number of pixels. DPI & PPI are a measure of point density for a given area.

Most printers and RIPs will automatically res up or down an image just fine for the intended output size. If you really want to tweak it you can using things like genuine fractals or bicubic re-sizing to increase the resolution. If you're really printing small you can down-rez and resharpen for a better output.

Most professional 'printers' aren't going to want a RAW file, they're going to want a developed color balanced .tif For a lot of applications delivering the full size file at full resolution will end up just fine. When you're trying to eak out the last few percentages of print perfection then you can start worrying about matching your file resolution for a given size to printers preferred dpi. For instance, one local printer I use has a native DPI of 306.

You can find some good articles on optimizing for digital printing on Luminous Landscape and a couple by Ctein on The Online Photographer.

Cheers!

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

Resize without resampling in photoshop. Hit the Image menu, Image Size, uncheck the Resample option, and put 300 in the resolution box. It's be something like 14 x 9.3 but it will be at 300 DPI. Usually it's easier to just do that than to try and educate 'em. If they need a different size at 300 DPI, just leave the Resample box checked and enter your numbers.

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:46 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

guitarslinger wrote:
Thanks guys……the graphic artist with the company I just shot for wants the RAW images delivered at 300dpi because its going to print….

He must be a rather lame graphic artist if he can't just take your RAW files and convert to whatever he wants.

Dec 17, 2011 at 03:47 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

Imagemaster wrote:
He must be a rather lame graphic artist if he can't just take your RAW files and convert to whatever he wants.

+1 Absolutely, even I can figure this one out.

Dec 17, 2011 at 04:38 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

i have a buddy who is a graphic artist who is the same way....he's a REALLY GOOD graphic artist, and actually teaches design at a university, but he always talks in DPI, forgetting about pixels....he's used to dealing with vector files, which don't contain pixels at all, so he's always wrapped up in DPI....as a photographer, all i care about is pixels....

so yes, to the original poster, whether your file is 240dpi, 300dpi, 600dpi, or 72dpi, if you haven't cropped it from original, it still is approx 4200x2800....if you want it do be 300 dpi, and the image is printed 6" wide, someone, (or some program) is going to have to throw out a bunch of pixels)....your file is too big as is....so you use PS to resize....if you want to print the photo 40" wide at 300 dpi, you're going to have to add in pixels....which is called interpolating.....

Dec 17, 2011 at 05:50 AM
hjanssen
• • •
p.1 #12 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

guitarslinger wrote:

I can print a 1x1px image at 300dpi and 1.000.000x1.000.000 px image at 300dpi, so what does the 300dpi say

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:56 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

NathanHamler wrote:
i have a buddy who is a graphic artist who is the same way....he's a REALLY GOOD graphic artist, and actually teaches design at a university, but he always talks in DPI, forgetting about pixels....he's used to dealing with vector files, which don't contain pixels at all, so he's always wrapped up in DPI....as a photographer, all i care about is pixels....

so yes, to the original poster, whether your file is 240dpi, 300dpi, 600dpi, or 72dpi, if you haven't cropped it from original, it still is approx 4200x2800....if you want it do be 300 dpi, and the image is printed
...Show more

He is NOT a "really good graphics artist", and a really bad teacher if he can't separate rasterized graphics and vector graphics - since they're the two base image representation functions that you should learn to separate to be allowed to pass the first semester of anything even remotely connected to "computerized graphics" at university levels. He's going to make a lot of people that will later work in the printing / pre-press / graphic artist sections really confused (and really wrong about a lot of things that will cost their employers money!) unless he's clear about this difference.

In fact, it's something that's considered base knowledge if you attend a highschool/college with graphical / artistical mains nowadays. Repeat ten times:
-"the resolution of a 4300x2800 raster image at 1dpi is 4300x2800 pixels. The resolution of a 4300x2800 raster image at 1 MILLION dpi is STILL 4300x2800 pixels. No more, no less. Ever. For eternity."

I've worked as the process development engineer at a printshop having a net turnaround at just over 100M USD per year, and this ws one of the things that we had to STOMP into the minds of all the pre-press personnel during the first years of the digital revolution (some fifteen years ago!). We lost countless hours and alienated (or at least made life a lot harder for...) a lot of photographers and design bureaus due to some prepress personnel desperately clinging to the "dpi" way of thinking at the input side of things. I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it cost us at least a few millions per year, paid hours and late delivery fees included.

A smaller firm will have a smaller loss - but in "percent of revenue" it will be the same. Just do it right, and save everyone a lot of aggravation (and money!).

Dec 17, 2011 at 05:37 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Nikon Resolution question - HELP

You can easily change the resolution in both Lightroom and Adobe camera raw. If you look at your image window in ACR, look below the image and you'll see this.... Adobe RGB (1998); 16 BIT; 2848 by 4288 (12,2 MP); 240 ppi .... this text will be underlined. Click on the underline and you'll get a dialog box. You'll see a little box that says 240. Select the numbers and change them to 300. Its really easy.

You can also use the preferences in Lightroom to set the resolution...just go to preferences> Exrenal Editing and you can chose what resolution to open them in PS. Also very easy.

Most designers want 300 ppi because it fits the math so well when they want to print at 150 dpi. The 300 has been an industry standard for a couple of decades...so the designer really does know what he's asking for. He will be better off with a psd. or a Tiff file format however, unless he wants to edit your files himself.

Dec 17, 2011 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password