Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Baduck
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Thanks for the extra advice guys, I really appreciate it!

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:00 AM
mwerth

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Velkommen til "First Light Festival".............!
I'm working and living at Thule Air Base and have about the same equipment as you. I have been outside in -35 Degrees Celsius and never encountered problems other than a slow, and in the end, a non-working LCD-screen.

Keep your gear in your backpack or wrap a plastic-bag tight around it, before going inside, until normal indoor temperature is achieved.

For your hands and feets, we have something called "Hot Hands", when exposed to air, it heats up and can be put in your boots and gloves. Used it myself a couple of times, when it's really cold and i have to stand still for a longer period (+ 1 hour) To be purchased in building 933.....:-)

Regards Mogens Werth, Thule Air Base
http://mwerth.smugmug.com/

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:20 PM
tonywong88
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Breathe through a bendable straw in order to prevent fogging.

Take batteries and cards out before going back in, so you can leave the gear in the bags to warm up slowly. Taking the batteries out early allows you to recharge them without going into the bag, same goes for the cards.

Dec 21, 2011 at 09:07 PM
loong33

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Scott Stoness wrote:
I have used 5dii outside at -35 a lot and I have not given it the special care in putting it in bags and waiting. etc. And I have not had problems. I live in a cold place and don't have time for such special care. 5dii is tough enough that aside from short batterly performance, and frosting on the lens if I breath wrong. In theory 7d is better for sealing. I have not babied either of the cameras.

IT IS NOT THE CAMERAS THAT GET THE SHORT END OF THE STICK BUT RATHER THE LENSES. THE AIR IN THE LENSES WILL CONDENSE AND LEAVE A WATERY RESIDUE. DO YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TO YOUR PRECIOUS LENSES?

Dec 22, 2011 at 05:48 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

loong33 wrote:
IT IS NOT THE CAMERAS THAT GET THE SHORT END OF THE STICK BUT RATHER THE LENSES. THE AIR IN THE LENSES WILL CONDENSE AND LEAVE A WATERY RESIDUE. DO YOU WANT THAT TO HAPPEN TO YOUR PRECIOUS LENSES?

I'm not sure the capitals are completely necessary

In practice Scott is probably right, even though most of us don't want to field test the hypothesis: Water will only condense on cold surfaces which are exposed to the warm, moist air. Which means the outside of the camera and lens, off of which it is easy to wipe the condensation. You won't get any condensation inside the camera or lens unless you swap lenses whilst the camera is cold (this would be a stupid thing to do). For non sealed lenses it might be best to keep the lens cap on though.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

If battery life is an issue (which it probably won't unless you're camping or out a loooong time), you could always get a power adapter and run your camera off a small sealed lead acid battery. I just did this and left a camera out for 5 days in 0-30F temps... People do this with flashes and keep the battery in a fanny pack.

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:04 PM
Baduck
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

15Bit wrote:
I'm not sure the capitals are completely necessary

In practice Scott is probably right, even though most of us don't want to field test the hypothesis: Water will only condense on cold surfaces which are exposed to the warm, moist air. Which means the outside of the camera and lens, off of which it is easy to wipe the condensation. You won't get any condensation inside the camera or lens unless you swap lenses whilst the camera is cold (this would be a stupid thing to do). For non sealed lenses it might be best to keep the lens cap
...Show more

When I decided to ask about this topic, my worries were more about some mechanical problem that the extreme cold could have caused. I´ve been out in the cold taking pictures (-10ºC) and never had an issue with fogging or anything like that, because I have always being careful. I see the point of putting the camera on a plastic bag, but I think inside the water-resistant back pack should be enough (as it has been in the past). So, I´m with Scott on this one

Thanks for taking the time to answer guys

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:10 PM
Baduck
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Kisutch wrote:
If battery life is an issue (which it probably won't unless you're camping or out a loooong time), you could always get a power adapter and run your camera off a small sealed lead acid battery. I just did this and left a camera out for 5 days in 0-30F temps... People do this with flashes and keep the battery in a fanny pack.

Hey Kisutch. Hopefully battery life wont be a problem. I don´t think they will let us go out for longer than a couple of hours when there is daylight. I had no idea you could do that, I like FM, there is always someone that knows more than you and that is willing to help

Thanks man!

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:14 PM
Baduck
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

mwerth wrote:
Velkommen til "First Light Festival".............!
I'm working and living at Thule Air Base and have about the same equipment as you. I have been outside in -35 Degrees Celsius and never encountered problems other than a slow, and in the end, a non-working LCD-screen.

Keep your gear in your backpack or wrap a plastic-bag tight around it, before going inside, until normal indoor temperature is achieved.

For your hands and feets, we have something called "Hot Hands", when exposed to air, it heats up and can be put in your boots and gloves. Used it myself a couple of times, when it's
...Show more

Hey Mogens!

Welcome to Fred Miranda!

Thanks for the advice, it´s great to have first hand facts Would you be there late February? I will be there from the 23rd of February, it would be great to meet if yo are there!

btw, GREAT pictures! I really enjoyed going through your galleries

Dec 22, 2011 at 02:17 PM
MDJAK
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Awesome trip. Enjoy

Dec 22, 2011 at 08:47 PM
mwerth

p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Going to Greenland: super cold weather advice?

Hi again

I'm returning to the Base 28th December, and will be there in the end of February.....
Thank you about the remarks on my Galleries.....appreciate it............

In the beginning i did put my camera and other stuff, in a plastic bag, i thereafter sealed; but today i just leave my gear in my backpack, when returning indoor, leaving it unopened for an hour or two. I think it's the fast heating that makes the condensation. I haven't noticed condensation problems if i, say, i'm going from a relatively warm car and out in the cold; maybe it's the very low humitidy up north................

Yes could be fun to meet..............Mogens Werth

Dec 23, 2011 at 06:09 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.