Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Stupid question but I need to ask

Ray Still
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stupid question but I need to ask

Ok outdoor situation around 3pm cloudy low light. I have 5 Westcott strobes set up One attached to Wireless trigger cheapo Cactus trigger. In my experience in all indoor situations once first strobe fires all the rest fire from photon cell.
In outdoor situation described above at 3PM still light only the strobe triggered by the Cactus trigger will fire the photon cell will not trigger the rest of the strobes. Is there anyway to manipulate so the cell will fire the rest of the strobes.

Any advice suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ray Still

Dec 14, 2011 at 01:27 AM
Lance Lee
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stupid question but I need to ask

The problem is that the increased ambient light outside is causing interference with the optical slave. A very common problem. Canon and Nikon wireless have the same problem. My guess is inside, if you shined a very bright flashlight on the optical slaves, they wouldn't fire as well either.

You have to position the other flashes so they can be triggered optically by the slaved flash(that usually means closer), or get more slave receivers, or sync cords. I sprung for radio poppers for my Canon flashes, and it is light the sky parted and God smiled down at me!

Dec 14, 2011 at 01:33 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stupid question but I need to ask

Just get more receivers. They aren't that expensive. But there's no guarantee that the Cactus triggers will be 100% reliable, they don't have a great reputation.

<Chas>

Dec 14, 2011 at 05:19 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stupid question but I need to ask

Ray Still wrote:
...In outdoor situation described above at 3PM still light only the strobe triggered by the Cactus trigger will fire the photon cell will not trigger the rest of the strobes. Is there anyway to manipulate so the cell will fire the rest of the strobes.

In addition to the ambient light (even at 3PM the light outdoors is brighter than most indoor rooms), another problem outdoors is that there's little for the flash from the first strobe to bounce off of, so the other strobes just don't "see" the light.

Radio triggers are really the best choice outdoors.

Dec 19, 2011 at 09:17 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stupid question but I need to ask

One thing I love about my Yongnuo 560 flashes is the sensitivity of that sensor. They seem to not miss a beat in even the brightest of sunlight. I wish all of the lights had sensors like that!

But yeah... sounds like you're gonna need some more receivers.

brad

Dec 19, 2011 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password