Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Synd...

AaronNegro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

I have been diagnosed 5th gear "CUS" by my GP (Gear Practician). So far I have started my photoshock treatment deprivation, the only access to photography I have is this forum and the little gear I have left since BF* (Black Friday).

As you can see it is pretty bad so I'm going to ask everyone in this board to share his saving habits with me.

Why? CUS I want more gear.

So, what's your method? Simple savings? Trade in plus money? Second hand fishing? I'm rich I don't care?

Happy EOS Xmas
Aaron

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

Good luck with this Aaron.

Merry ChrEOStmas.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:36 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

AaronNegro wrote:
I have been diagnosed 5th gear "CUS" by my GP (Gear Practician). So far I have started my photoshock treatment deprivation, the only access to photography I have is this forum and the little gear I have left since BF* (Black Friday).

As you can see it is pretty bad so I'm going to ask everyone in this board to share his saving habits with me.

Why? CUS I want more gear.

So, what's your method? Simple savings? Trade in plus money? Second hand fishing? I'm rich I don't care?

Happy EOS Xmas
Aaron

I try not to spend mroe than I make.
I put posts where they belong (made me at least $50.00).
I try to rationalize each purchase, but some (the stupid 144 55-250EF-S that I have no use for) are some that Id on't, or I buy on a whim.

I make sure that what I'm buying (with the exception of the stupid $144 dollar 55-250) fills a need.

I pick a price I'm going to pay, and stick to it. May take longer to buy what I want, but it works.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:46 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

I sold my car and got a bus pass.
I figure I can't shoot and drive at the same time anyway, so it was the only sensible thing to do.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

The other thing I'd suggest, and it's what I'mg oing to do here shortly, is spend less time on the forum, once I sell my 70-200.

I figure, I've not been posting images lately, and all of the questions I ask cost me money.

Hell, I've got a decent outfit of lights between AB's and 580EX's, and I'm still buying 4 manual flashes after the new year.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

i worked my tail off this year. 60 weddings. next year my team will be doing close to 90. i've worked hard, so i am going to enjoy it, and owning this stuff makes me smile. being able to get out and use it is priceless.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:08 AM
janmcn
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

We don't spend money on clothes, eating out, entertaining, etc. Just money for travel, 'puter gear, and photo stuff…works out…friends can drop $100's on a meal without blinking…I'm thinking it's 1/10th of the lens I want! Priorities…especially since we're in our retirement years, but photography has always been a passion of mine…handed down by my grandfather who was an outstanding photographer…I still have his slides.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:51 AM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

I would suggest renting the next thing you are lusting for. I have tried that for several lenses, and after playing for a week my CUS settles down, and I send them back without regret. It doesn't always work though, with the 500 f4 I bought right after renting.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:55 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

I'm trying my hardest not to press the "buy it now" button on a 17 TS-E. Don't ask me!

Dec 14, 2011 at 01:42 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

I used to spend 10-15% of my yearly bonus on camera gear, and not worry or have any guilt. Now that I have my own business things will be tight for awhile.

The up side is that I have more free time to use the gear I already own.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Geert Koning
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

http://www.wikihow.com/Save-Money

Dec 14, 2011 at 07:03 AM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

Geert Koning wrote:
http://www.wikihow.com/Save-Money

I always get to point 6 on this, do the whole check and try to convince the boss (wife).

No joy.

Rob, do you likt your EF-s 55-250 at least? (lol)

Dec 14, 2011 at 09:15 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

Ask yourself if the gear you want to purchase will really make your photography better. Using this simple maxim, I've been able to avoid equipment purchases for about 2 years, and have no real desire to acquire more (unless I see a high MP D800).

Also, if you are going to buy something, make sure that at least 50% is paid for with something you can sell.

Arka C.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

lordarka wrote:
Ask yourself if the gear you want to purchase will really make your photography better. Using this simple maxim, I've been able to avoid equipment purchases for about 2 years...

Arka C.

Good advice. I've managed to avoid buying any Canon EF L-series lenses for at least 20 hours.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:32 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

Spend less time online.
More time shooting.

Live within your means.
Tear up your credit cards (except 1 for emergencies).
Don't spend more than you make.
Get rid of your tv and any associated services.

Switch jobs to industry with better pay.

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

Two incomes, no mortgage, no kids, don't smoke or gamble, understanding wife = plenty of money for life's pleasure

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:59 PM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

I was going to say, give the kids away....

Dec 14, 2011 at 11:51 PM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

h00ligan wrote:
I was going to say, give the kids away....

Better yet, sell the kids (if you can get anything for them).

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

Kids are perfectly good waste of DNA!

Dec 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM
h00ligan
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Saving Skills, Bankroll Management and Canon Upgrade Syndrome

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Kids are perfectly good waste of DNA!

Qft!

Dec 15, 2011 at 01:50 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password