New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Couple quick SB-800 questions

DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Couple quick SB-800 questions

I shoot with an SD-8a. If I also use the 5th battery pack on the speedlight, will that give me a skosh (sorry for the tech jargon ) faster recycle? I ask cuz I think I read somewhere that when using an SD-8a, the speedlight batteries only power the LCD, or something. If that's the case, then, I guess, the 5th battery pack does nothing. I dunno; that's what I'm wondering.

Also, does the SD-8a wire that fits the PC port on the speedlight do anything?

Thanks!

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Paul_K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Couple quick SB-800 questions

Yes the SD8A will sustantially improve your recycle time and more importantly the number of flashes you can take.

Yes the four batteries according to the Nikon manual will play second fiddle and power the LCS, but also apart from the flash the rest of the functions of the SB800. I see no extra value of adding the SD800 batterypack for the fifth battery on the SB800 if you are already using a SB8a.

The wire on the SD8a that plugs into the PC port of the SB800 will allow the light on the SD8a to lighten up each time the SB800 flashes. The Nikon manual states it apparently also gives a signal to the SD8a to start reloading immediatelly after the flash is used, rather then wait for the flash unit to start drawing current. That may be something that goes especially when using the original Nikon SD8a.

But given the huge price difference between that and the cheapo Chinese copies sold on the net, I went for the cheapos and thus never had the chance to find that out. But I never felt noticed and found the improved recycle time even with the imitation SD8a's already quite adequate when shooting castwalk (whenever I have to use flash)

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:15 PM
DennisC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Couple quick SB-800 questions

Thanks, Paul. Very helpful.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:30 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.