New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Steve Park
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Have a few sets of Powerex 2700mh rechargeable batteries but DON'T have charger.
Browsing Amazon makes me even more confused as what is the correct/economical charger for these rechargeables.

Someone please help me choose a good charger.

Do I have to get a charger that was specifically made for Powerex to get the most out of them? Or any generic low cost chargers will suffice?

Another note, right now COSTCO sells "Eneloop" packages for very good price, but NO CHARGER INCLUDED...again, do I need "Eneloop" charger if I choose to buy this set? Or a "Energizer" charger can be used for Eneloops?

I don't use batteries a lot, but these days the rechargeable batteries hold more power than Alkalines without memory, very tempting.

Someone please make good suggestion for this. Thanks for our help.

- Steve

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:55 AM
ScooberJake
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

The best option is something like this or this. Outside of that, I'm not sure whether you need to match the charger to the batteries. I'd expect that you don't need to have a charger from the same brand, but it might still need to match the batteries in terms of charge rate or capacity or something.

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

I see those are great...but they're the most expensive chargers...

Any lower priced ones?

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:24 AM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Steve Park wrote:

Any lower priced ones?

The Maha chargers are the bomb diggity...if you use alot of rechargables & use them very frequently (like I do) then investing in a quality charger easily pays for itself! Otherwise, you'll just be shortening your battery life with cheap fast-chargers.

HTH,
Omar

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:37 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Steve Park wrote:

Any lower priced ones?

I have a Maha 204 charger that works fine. Around $25 at Thomas Distributing.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

pbraymond wrote:
I have a Maha 204 charger that works fine. Around $25 at Thomas Distributing.

I found this one on ebay;

MAHA MH-C204FA Smart Charger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MAHA-MH-C204FA-Smart-Charger-/290645572242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43abd37a92#ht_1103wt_1326

Is this the one you're referring? Or a different model?
Thanks.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

It's worth getting the MH-C9000 charger. It has a diagnose and refresh mode that works wonders on stubborn batteries.

I had one Powerex battery that would lose it's charge 4x faster than the others, a quick refresh on all of them and it was back to new.

Edit: And it works perfectly with Enerloop's as well.

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:04 PM
seam4444
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

A good charger for the money is the La Crosse BC-700.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00077AA5Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1M5659P1EJ350JCFVSPE

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:55 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Thanks all for inputs. La Crosse sounds great too...since I don't use batteries much, it's too hard to choose one...

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:23 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

seam4444 wrote:
A good charger for the money is the La Crosse BC-700.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RSOV50/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00077AA5Q&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1M5659P1EJ350JCFVSPE
a

+1 (have 2 and no problems) - condition and charge like MAHA. I plan on buying the MAHA charger noted above as it charges 8 at a time. As I am on the road most of the time, sometimes 120VAC outlets are at a premium.

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:27 PM
pbraymond
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Steve Park wrote:
I found this one on ebay;

MAHA MH-C204FA Smart Charger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MAHA-MH-C204FA-Smart-Charger-/290645572242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43abd37a92#ht_1103wt_1326

Is this the one you're referring? Or a different model?
Thanks.

Sorry for late reply, yes that the correct model.

Dec 13, 2011 at 09:54 PM
Steve Park
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Thanks for all the input.

Steve

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

Are you using the charger for travel? The MAHA MH-C204W has the power supply built in (no power adapter as with other models). I do have other MAHA and a couple of the BC-900 chargers as well for home use.

EBH

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

I've got THIS ONE and really like it.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:47 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

ryankarr wrote:
It's worth getting the MH-C9000 charger. It has a diagnose and refresh mode that works wonders on stubborn batteries.

I had one Powerex battery that would lose it's charge 4x faster than the others, a quick refresh on all of them and it was back to new.

Edit: And it works perfectly with Enerloop's as well.

Agreed, 100%. I've also got the smaller Maha 204 charger (great for travel), but the 9000's diagnose, break-in, and refresh features are really worth the extra price. I've been using both chargers with AA Eneloops for a few years now, and all 16 of my batteries still charge and work as new.

Dec 14, 2011 at 01:31 AM
bitmaker
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Powerex AA battery charger Suggestion Needed

dcains wrote:
...but the 9000's diagnose, break-in, and refresh features are really worth the extra price. I've been using both chargers with AA Eneloops for a few years now, and all 16 of my batteries still charge and work as new.

+1

I have 48 Eneloops/Duraloops, the oldest dating back almost 5 years, and they're all going strong. Another important consideration for any charger purchase is the maximum charge/discharge rates of the stations. Some 4 cell chargers will drop the rate if charging 4 batts while using a higher rate for 2 cells, and the same scenario when discharging. Important to know how a charger will perform while charging/discharging multiple cells. I credit the 9000 for the strong health of my batteries... it's higher price/better performance has saved me money over the long run.

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:18 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.